LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

What is this???

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-03, 04:10 PM
spxChrome
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What is this???

Well, I was wrong it is not the security light. It is the light between the remoteless entry switch and side windows adjustments? I only have a 94 LS manual and it doesn't show anything there. This is a 93 LS so can anybody tell me what this light is? It stays on constantly and is running my battery down!!

Came on yesterday for the first time and now won't turn off and is killing the battery.

thanks
Attached Thumbnails What is this???-huh.gif  
Old 02-22-03, 04:17 PM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's aftermarket not factory. Most likely it is an LED for a secondary alarm system or just an ignition kill. Must be in valet, check under your dash for a switch.

Last edited by SharpLS-96; 02-22-03 at 04:21 PM.
Old 02-22-03, 04:20 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This could be a part of previously installed aftermarket alarm. The LED can not drain battery because of its neglect able energy consumption. If your battery is draining there has to be something else doing it. Go to an alarm shop and ask them to have a look at what that thing is. Tell them you are thinking of installing an alarm and they should do it free of charge.
Old 02-22-03, 04:24 PM
tenpointed
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check my post in your other thread. It may answer your question.
Old 02-22-03, 04:25 PM
spxChrome
Lead Lap

That is what I thought!?! But the light has never been on and today the battery was dead and after I jumped it off I noticed the light and it has stayed on since. I guess I will find out in the morning. Even if it was aftermarket should it stay on 24/7??? Or just when the car is locked.
Old 02-22-03, 04:29 PM
spxChrome
Lead Lap

Looked under the dash didn't see much of anything except. To the left of the alram volume control there is some kind of plug-in. Like a cig lighter but bigger with lots of female ends. Again, not in the book?? But there is a single wire that runs kind or right over the top of the fuse box. Maybe that is the feed?
Old 02-22-03, 04:35 PM
tenpointed
Banned

Like I mentioned earlier, a bad door lock actuator is more than likely causing your problem. That light is staying on because your car thinks the drivers door is open even while closed. That is why your battery is going dead and your interior lights stay on. Ask the dealer on Monday and they'll probably confirm what I'm telling you.
Old 02-22-03, 04:36 PM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

The female plug you see is factory for diagnostics, has nothing to do with it.

Try to follow the wire coming from the LED to see where it leads to. You might have reset something when you jumped your car. Are there any wires hooked up to your battery besides the positive and negative?

If that LED is for an aftermarket alarm system and it's operational then:
1-It should be blinking when the alarm is armed.
2-Should be off when the alarm is not armed.
3-On steady when in valet. (Like you have in the pic)

Those are typically the 3 ways an LED works with a system.

Last edited by SharpLS-96; 02-22-03 at 04:48 PM.
Old 02-22-03, 04:58 PM
spxChrome
Lead Lap

OK followed the wire over the fuse box and it leads to that light and the other end runs into the side of the car to the left of the fuse box. Looked under the hood but can't find where it is coming in and didn't see any loose wires on the battery.

But here is the kicker:
The switch that lets you know if the door is open or not, the one you can push in on the door frame. Well it is very sensitive.

If I push on that switch here is what is happening.

The dome light, vanity lights, door open light in console, and all other lights around the door under the dash, the ring around the key hole that illuminates and the luminated lights on the seat belt plug, plus no telling what else:

The all toggle when I play with that button on the drivers door that lets the car know the door is open or closed. Tapping it lightly will make all these lights sometimes come on or go off.

Even if the door is open, the dome lights ect... sometimes don't come unless I play with that switch.

What is going on? Is it something in the aftermarket alarm or is there something shorting out the dome lights ect... from the door?

Sorry for the long msg.
Old 02-22-03, 05:02 PM
spxChrome
Lead Lap

Don't mean to sound stupid but what does it mean when it is in valet? Waiting on me to do something? Can I turn it off? If this wire is shorting out somewhere I want it out!
Old 02-22-03, 05:16 PM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by spxChrome
Don't mean to sound stupid but what does it mean when it is in valet? Waiting on me to do something? Can I turn it off? If this wire is shorting out somewhere I want it out!
When the alarm is "valet" mode it means it's disengaged, not operational/off completely so it shouldn’t cause your battery to go dead. Either that alarm or your door locks are causing a problem like member “tenpointed” out.
Were you given a remote when you purchased the car?

You can try to pull the fuse to the wire your talking about if you can find it and see what happens.

BTW, that LED could also be for a radar detector that was hard wired but I doubt it.

Last edited by SharpLS-96; 02-22-03 at 05:28 PM.
Old 02-22-03, 06:50 PM
spxChrome
Lead Lap

Well, I am pretty sure it is a second alarm. Now that I mentioned it I notice some alarm company stickers on the back window.

The door locks are working just fine??? It is all the interior lights and door open light in the dash display cluster that toggles on and off when I play around with the door open switch in the front door frame.

Are the door locks and interior lights related to the door lock actuator? If it goes out does that mean the interior lights don't come on?
Old 02-22-03, 06:58 PM
tenpointed
Banned

Are the door locks and interior lights related to the door lock actuator?
Absolutely! Have your dealer check it out. I'd bet it has nothing to do with your aftermarket alarm. There is no sense pulling your hair out trying to figure it out for yourself. Let your dealer diagnose the problem.
Old 02-22-03, 09:12 PM
spxChrome
Lead Lap

Sounds like a plan. But, does the actuator going bad make the battery run down?
Old 02-23-03, 09:27 AM
rybikowsky
Driver

E mail or call lexus and ask them for a proper owners manuel.If they have any they probley will give it to you no charge.Also fill out the new owner card in the book and send it to lexus.That will put you on their mailing and info list.I bought a 92.sent in the card,and now get a nice magazine from lexus.Good luck.Michael R.

Quick Reply: What is this???