LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Brake Calipers - How Urgent?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-14, 09:28 PM
PlotPoint
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brake Calipers - How Urgent?

1st gen lexus, meaning any money I put in to this car I won't get back. I plan to keep it another two years max. During past 2 or 3 months, twice experienced car pulling to one side when braking. Not violently, but definitely noticeable. Was told one of the brake calipers seizing could cause this. Could there be any other explanation? Assuming mechanic is right (and sadly he probably is)...

Mechanic said one side measured 1 mm less, and that calipers should be replaced in pairs. I know that is wise, but is it necessary? To do both? Also, I can get a new set for $750 and change (he's getting them at a discount), or I can go with reman for a little more than $500. Is reman really that bad? I would prefer to save the difference if at all possible. Also do these prices sound reasonable. Includes labor and brake bleed. One more thing: Can I buy any more time, or must this be done ASAP? I don't do freeway driving -- mostly stop and go in traffic!

Last edited by PlotPoint; 10-06-14 at 09:32 PM.
Old 10-06-14, 09:58 PM
lexmoose
Pole Position

Could be as simple a the flexible hose too... But don't mess around when it come to brake. This could be the difference between life and death for you, your passenger or anybody else near the car in an emergency braking situation.

Just my 2 cents
Old 10-06-14, 11:29 PM
PlotPoint
Driver

Originally Posted by lchouinard
Could be as simple a the flexible hose too... But don't mess around when it come to brake. This could be the difference between life and death for you, your passenger or anybody else near the car in an emergency braking situation.

Just my 2 cents
Ok, thanks. I will make sure he's ruled out everything else. Though would the 1 millimeter difference in wear necessarily mean that it's the caliper? I don't recall exactly what he said, but something about 1 mm difference side to side.
Old 10-06-14, 11:39 PM
cgawelko
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never have a mechanic buy your bits. They go for the cheapest **** they can find, unless its the dealer.

go to rockauto.com for a 1994 To get loaded calipers for the front, is 84.79 including core, and thats with pads and stuff from Centric. Or you can get a bare Raybestos caliper for 64.79 including the core.

$750 FFS.... come on people.
Old 10-07-14, 01:05 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 96 Likes on 88 Posts

Centric caliper rebuild kits are like <$15 for both fronts. 20 minutes and boom, new caliper.

The sliding pins may just need lube, meaning you don't even need a rebuild.

But if you have no idea what you're doing, a shop is probably a good idea. the 1mm difference is minimal.
Old 10-07-14, 01:09 AM
PlotPoint
Driver

Originally Posted by cgawelko
Never have a mechanic buy your bits. They go for the cheapest **** they can find, unless its the dealer.

go to rockauto.com for a 1994 To get loaded calipers for the front, is 84.79 including core, and thats with pads and stuff from Centric. Or you can get a bare Raybestos caliper for 64.79 including the core.

$750 FFS.... come on people.
Thanks! The $750 was for new OEM from a dealer (at a discount) and includes labor and brake bleed. I was quoted remanned at $515, but based on what you are telling me, I can do better than that. The pads are in good shape with plenty of wear left. So would a bare Raybestos be a decent enough quality part? I know a mechanic who will install parts that I supply (or used to...will have to check).
Old 10-07-14, 01:11 AM
PlotPoint
Driver

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
Centric caliper rebuild kits are like <$15 for both fronts. 20 minutes and boom, new caliper.

The sliding pins may just need lube, meaning you don't even need a rebuild.

But if you have no idea what you're doing, a shop is probably a good idea. the 1mm difference is minimal.
Interesting, tx. So you're saying in addition to a flex hose issue it could also be as simple as sliding pins needing lubed? I am not a mechanic so it has to be spelled out for me. Doesn't sound like 1mm difference is proof of anything. Good thing I knwo enough to get advice here. Enough said...

Last edited by PlotPoint; 10-07-14 at 01:16 AM.
Old 10-07-14, 01:14 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

also, make sure tire pressure across both axles is correct. If one side is low the car will pull to that side under braking. especially in the front.
Old 10-07-14, 01:22 AM
cgawelko
Pole Position

Well as PD said, you could rebuild them. BUT IMO only if your meticulous. I have never done it without scrubbing everything, making sure its 100% clean and then putting GOOD grease all up in there. But the only TRUE full blown rebuilds ive done was on brake cylinders, but you guys probably dont remember those lol

If your not mechanically inclined, just ordering full calipers is pretty easy, and when you send the core back you get up to $25 back, so they come out REALLY cheap compared to that $750/$550 pricetag. For that price, you could do all 4, and the hoses, and the pads, and still have beer money at the end of the day.

Last edited by cgawelko; 10-07-14 at 01:25 AM.
Old 10-07-14, 02:16 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

The grease you want for toyota seals is sil-glyde, and here in socal at least is available at both wal-mart and autozone. All you need beyond that is brake cleaner, a scrubby brush (nonmettalic so as to not score the bore), and an air compressor to push out the piston. 1st gen cars are the easiest as they only have one-two pistons per caliper and they aren't opposed. 2nd gen 4 pot brakes get a bit annoying.

Full calipers are the lazy way out
Old 10-07-14, 03:18 AM
cgawelko
Pole Position

Well, seeing as he is dealing with shops, I dont think he is going to have a compressor and stuff. maybe full calipers would be the way to go. The BEST way to learn how to work on a car, is with your own. If you mess up, you feel it, and you will automatically know what you did wrong. Or if you nail it and get it all right, you feel great and will wanna do more. but once that starts. there is no stopping it.

DONT FORGET TO BLEED THE BRAKES!

for liability reasons, I need to make sure you understand the brakes need to be bled of ALL air pockets.
Old 10-07-14, 10:03 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 472 Likes on 362 Posts

My suggestion is to buy the loaded caliper. The R&R is much faster and that time savings is worth it. If you really have the urge to rebuild, PD has it covered. Invariably you find that some part has worn more and that even with a rebuild kit, it was better off being replaced. (Bent, dent, scratch/gouge, etc.)

I've become time conscious/lazy. I want to get in-out as fast as possible. Rebuilding stuff is not my desire these days.
Old 10-07-14, 12:54 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by RA40
My suggestion is to buy the loaded caliper. The R&R is much faster and that time savings is worth it. If you really have the urge to rebuild, PD has it covered. Invariably you find that some part has worn more and that even with a rebuild kit, it was better off being replaced. (Bent, dent, scratch/gouge, etc.)

I've become time conscious/lazy. I want to get in-out as fast as possible. Rebuilding stuff is not my desire these days.
I'm going to start calling you Mr. Softy when I see you from now on ;p
Old 10-08-14, 01:33 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 472 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
I'm going to start calling you Mr. Softy when I see you from now on ;p
LOL, yeah. I had a different outlook when I was in my 20's and 30's. Dad's Corolla is due for an oil change and today I almost stopped by the dealer for the $9.95 deal. Of course that leads to the upsell that it needs a new engine air filter, brake job, tranny flush....
Old 10-08-14, 02:03 AM
cgawelko
Pole Position

$9.95 oil change deal!? sign me up for that...

Quick Reply: Brake Calipers - How Urgent?