LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

New Alternators keep testing as failed 96 LS400

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-14, 02:53 PM
suaz77
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Alternators keep testing as failed 96 LS400

I was recently given a 96' LS400 by a family member, right before they gave it to me they replaced the power steering pump, still noticed a leak, mechanic then replaced a hose. When I received car the steering was stiff at slower speeds fluid level was low an obvious leak. I read on one of the forums that the AIV most likely failed which made sense as I had the white smoke coming out the exhaust upon start up. In the process of learning about the AIV my alternator was drenched and died. My boyfriend did the repair for me and removed the AIV, plugged it and capped the vacuum lines. The leak is now gone. He then replaced the alternator, on my drive home it sounded a little whinning so I took back to auto parts store had battery and alternator tested and alternator failed. They gave us a replacement alternator he once again changed out alternator and it once again test as failed. This is all in a matter of 3 days (2 failed alternators) What could be causing this to happen?

Note:
*just to eliminate I swapped out battery in car already
*My power steering no longer leaks but due to constant leak before removing the AIV and plugging it, it is now very loud! Do I most likely have to replace pump assy again or is there a component on it that i only need to replace? assuming I burned out the motor and will have to replace whole assy?

Can the issues with power steering pump not working affect my alternator? the belt is spinning fine and all pulleys turning.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Old 10-18-14, 11:52 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 173 Likes on 130 Posts

take it to a different auto store or someone else and have it checked again, if bad, back to original seller.. and report because we dont have any info about your BF ability or how he changed them out it just takes one flick of a hot wire to kill one.

Last edited by billydpowe; 10-18-14 at 11:56 AM.
Old 10-18-14, 01:02 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

If the pump is not leaking anymore then it should not affect new alternators. Either your boyfriend is doing something wrong or find another place to get an alternator from like billy stated.
Old 10-18-14, 06:15 PM
YoshiMan
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Which autoparts store is it? A good majority of the remanufactured alternators from the local stores are junk, I have had numerous ones before that are dead out of the box!

Do what billydpowe said and test it at another store, and if it's screwed up, then i would recommend getting another alternator with the "Denso" brand name on it, as they are Toyota's original supplier, and will be much higher in quality.
Old 10-18-14, 07:18 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

This thread has similarities to your situation:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...or-killer.html
The following users liked this post:
5thwardgs4 (04-16-19)
Old 10-19-14, 02:19 PM
suaz77
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by YoshiMan
Which autoparts store is it? A good majority of the remanufactured alternators from the local stores are junk, I have had numerous ones before that are dead out of the box!

Do what billydpowe said and test it at another store, and if it's screwed up, then i would recommend getting another alternator with the "Denso" brand name on it, as they are Toyota's original supplier, and will be much higher in quality.
Yoshiman - from autozone. we have also checked the 120 amp fuse and it looks fine.
Old 10-19-14, 07:16 PM
simrx3
Driver

hi,

fuses never "look" fine.

remove and test.. also its not the only fuse to check for an alternator.. check them all..

cheers
Old 10-19-14, 10:01 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

I have never had a problem with rebuilt starters or alternators from O riellys. A quick do it yourself check to see if the alternator is putting out. Buy a cheapy harbor freight DMM that is a digital multi meter. Some times they are a coupon free item and usually about 5 bucks or so. You want to read about 14.5 or so volts by touching the probes across the battery plus and minus terminals, if its working right. If its doing that fine then that parts place has a checking machine that is designed to sell alternators.
Old 10-21-14, 05:56 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 173 Likes on 130 Posts

I bought one of the volt meters that cowboy told us about and rigged up a cig lighter to attach it to the battery to check it.. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...uld-spend.html
Attached Thumbnails New Alternators keep testing as failed 96 LS400-100_2082.jpg   New Alternators keep testing as failed 96 LS400-100_2080.jpg  

Last edited by billydpowe; 10-21-14 at 05:59 AM.
Old 10-22-14, 03:41 PM
suaz77
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by simrx3
hi,

fuses never "look" fine.

remove and test.. also its not the only fuse to check for an alternator.. check them all..

cheers
do i need to disconnect the negative terminal before checking fuses?
Old 10-22-14, 04:09 PM
suaz77
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by billydpowe
I bought one of the volt meters that cowboy told us about and rigged up a cig lighter to attach it to the battery to check it.. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...uld-spend.html
I have a 12 VDC battery/alternator tester shown in pic. So from my observation all 3 of the Battery lights are continuously lit up. However on the alternator side when I am driving the green and yellow are illuminated. When I brake the green turns off, when i go below 1rpm the yellow turns off as well. If i let off the brake and the car begins to roll (without pushing gas pedal) the yellow will begin to illuminate, the second i press the gas pedal the green then illuminates as well. This process of the above mentioned is consistent and i have not noticed any deviations.

any thoughts?

I was told that it could be the tentioner is not adjusted properly

I was told that due to my power steering pump needing to be replaced that it will not turn properly therefore causing the belt to not turn properly which could cause the dropping in amprage on alternator

I was also told that power steering pump prob is ok that I need to turn wheels back and forth continuously to get fluid into actual pump as the fluid is prob all in the rack and pinion.

How do you know if tentioner is right?

Chicago Electric 12 VDC Battyery / Alternator Tester<br/><br/>

Last edited by suaz77; 10-22-14 at 04:11 PM. Reason: add picture
Old 10-24-14, 02:44 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Tensioner keeps the belt tight. Push and pull a bit on the belt on a section between pulleys, does it feel tight?
When engine is idling you want to see your normal range lit up for the alternator. So by default I guess your device always has the lower scale lit up also. So you would have the 2 lights for alternator meaning the normal and proper voltage. And all 3 for the battery would be normal as well.
Old 10-30-14, 10:37 PM
suaz77
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dicer
Tensioner keeps the belt tight. Push and pull a bit on the belt on a section between pulleys, does it feel tight?
When engine is idling you want to see your normal range lit up for the alternator. So by default I guess your device always has the lower scale lit up also. So you would have the 2 lights for alternator meaning the normal and proper voltage. And all 3 for the battery would be normal as well.

Dicer,

if im in park all the lights show good. but if i put it into gear thats when the lights for alternator go to bad unless i press the gas. does that make any sense why that would be?
Old 10-30-14, 11:02 PM
Yamae

Received 882 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by suaz77
Dicer,

if im in park all the lights show good. but if i put it into gear thats when the lights for alternator go to bad unless i press the gas. does that make any sense why that would be?
Sounds like the engine idles too low. Read the tachometer at P and D and inform us the result.
Old 10-31-14, 12:26 AM
cgawelko
Pole Position

I was going to suggest the pigtail being damaged from oil and then I noticed Yamae in here. Nothing I can say that he doesnt know so what he says, thats what you gotta do. lol

Quick Reply: New Alternators keep testing as failed 96 LS400