LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Starter cranks continuously even when key is turned to off position.

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-14, 11:56 AM
YoshiMan
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 90 Posts
Talking Starter cranks continuously even when key is turned to off position.

Well I had just typed this up, and even after copying the text and having the website crash on me upon hitting the "post" button, I lost it all so I'm just going to abbreviate it.....grrrr....

I didn't see any sort of results for this happening to anyone else, so I figured I would put it up in case anyone else had a similar issue.
Over the last few months my 95' LS's starter has been acting up, but it seemed to not do anything over the last 45 days or so.

Sometimes not a single thing happened on the first turn of the key, no click, nothing. But the second turn it would crank like normal, and fire up without a hitch. On other occasions, while cranking, the starter would slow down just for a moment then return to normal before the engine would start, almost as if it's power was reduced for a moment.

I put a new battery in earlier in the year at the start of the symptoms, and replaced and cleaned up all the power cables to and from it more recently, so i figured it the starter was just dying on me.

Well, its been over a month, and it's suddenly shown neither problem even with it being quite cold out, Hmmm.. But last night after starting it up, it was making this funky sound from the front end that almost sounded like a fan. I turned the key and the engine to the off position and to my horror, the sound turned out to be the starter that was stuck running, and the engine continued to crank non stop even with the key in the off position!

When it turned the key back to the "on" position, the engine immediately quit cranking,and then I was able to start it a second time without it giving me a fuss. I started it up twice today so i could run some tests, to which it of course didn't repeat it.

I am going to pull out the starter relay and also the ignition switch, and run some tests on them just for giggles, but to me it sounds like the solenoid it starting to jam up and getting stuck in the on and off position.... From the general consensus and what others have said, I'm quite looking forwards to this job! yay!

I'll put my results up

Last edited by YoshiMan; 10-20-14 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 10-21-14, 05:12 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 173 Likes on 130 Posts

very interesting let us know what you find out, sounds more like the solenoid contacts to me.. mine looked terrible when I replaced them
Attached Thumbnails Starter cranks continuously even when key is turned to off position.-100_1795.jpg