LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Cautiously Ecstatic n00bie

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-14, 10:51 PM
JumboJimbo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Cautiously Ecstatic n00bie

Tonight I just bought my first Lexus. A 1991 LS400 with 159k miles for $1300. It looks and runs perfectly so far but I just have 50 miles on it from the drive home. I found the original window sticker in the trunk, it sold for over $39,000. in 1991. I looked up the wiki article on it and all I can say is wow, I think I may have hit a home run.
A couple of things bothering me....
I topped off the tank before driving it home and used premium. I am not sure if I have an owners manual and I thought that I should err on the side of caution. A guy at the pump next to me who was driving a brand new GS was admiring my new ride and was telling me about his wife's LS400 with over 300k on it which still runs like new and he never used anything but 87 octane. I wonder if using "regular will give me problems down the line. Any advice would be appreciated.
I have no idea what maintenance has been done. I'm thinking I should change the oil and oil filter, check the air filter, cabin air filter (if there is one???), rotate the tires, inspect the brakes, pull a spark plug to see the condition...etc. Anything else??/ again, advice from a veteran is gratefully accepted. I guess I should invest in a manual.
So far i am very pleased with how the car ran for my first 50 miles. It seems like it is built like a brick ******house.
Old 11-13-14, 12:27 PM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Sounds great. Welcome to the club.

Definitely use premium gas. It even says it somewhere - like on your gas gauge or gas cap lid (I have a '91 too).

Regarding maintenance/fluids, I'd assume the worst unless you can verify it's OK. Oil, ATF, diff oil, brake fluid, PS fluid, battery water.

You'll find all kinds of good stuff on here. The two main problem areas on this car are the PS system and the ECU capacitors (just causes weird stuff in shifting, driving, idling, etc. in most cases at first). Focus on those.

Other things you may be in for soon: engine + transmission mounts, front lower ball joints, fan bracket.

One nice thing for you is that your engine is non-interference so it will not be catastrophic if your timing belt breaks. So you can wait until it is convenient / cost effective to replace that if you want.

Good luck. Read up.
Old 11-13-14, 01:54 PM
timmy0tool

Received 422 Likes on 376 Posts

welcome! always perform the routine maintenance when getting a car of unknown background. the timing belt is one of the important ones.

you're in the right forum to get the most info for the car.

start here! FAQ
another good link is here! LexLS
Old 11-13-14, 04:51 PM
mappo
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any and all worked performed on it by a Lexus dealer can be viewed at lexusdrivers.com with a VIN lookup. It's probably unlikely that a 23 year old car was still being taken to the dealer for repairs and maintenance, but it's worth a try.
Old 11-15-14, 02:48 PM
Gene01
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You can also get a free Owner's Manual at the same web site.
If you need to get to sleep, you can also download a PDF of each chapter. :-)
Old 11-15-14, 02:52 PM
YoshiMan
Racer

Received 95 Likes on 87 Posts

Welcome aboard!

These cars are the automotive equivalent of granite. I'm sure you will love it
Old 11-15-14, 02:53 PM
Neomoogle
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by oldskewel
Sounds great. Welcome to the club.

Definitely use premium gas. It even says it somewhere - like on your gas gauge or gas cap lid (I have a '91 too).

Regarding maintenance/fluids, I'd assume the worst unless you can verify it's OK. Oil, ATF, diff oil, brake fluid, PS fluid, battery water.

You'll find all kinds of good stuff on here. The two main problem areas on this car are the PS system and the ECU capacitors (just causes weird stuff in shifting, driving, idling, etc. in most cases at first). Focus on those.

Other things you may be in for soon: engine + transmission mounts, front lower ball joints, fan bracket.

One nice thing for you is that your engine is non-interference so it will not be catastrophic if your timing belt breaks. So you can wait until it is convenient / cost effective to replace that if you want.

Good luck. Read up.
Ditto that. Whenever I buy a used car I just assume that nothing has been done. I also wouldn't recommend using anything but premium in a Lexus, regardless of the year or model.
Old 11-17-14, 07:30 AM
JumboJimbo
Driver School Candidate

Default Thank you all!!

Great advice. I did find the owners manual and I took it to a really good mechanic for an oil change and an inspection. He said the all the fluids and filters looked clean and new and I did the oil change with full synthetic.
The tool kit and first aid kit in the trunk have never been touched. The spare had a nice big rip in the sidewall though. I picked up a used tire and got that taken care of. I did notice that the tires on the car are 205/60-15 and the stock tire was 205/65. Any opinions on the different aspect ratio? I think I will get new rubber before winter sets in hard and i'm not sure if I should go back to the stock size.
The only other glitch I found was weak gas struts that don't hold up the hood any longer.
I got the message loud and clear on the octane. Premium only for me. Thank God that gas prices are lower than they have been.
Thanks for the 411 on the links.
Now optimistic and more confident.
Jim
Old 11-17-14, 07:56 AM
mappo
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JumboJimbo
The only other glitch I found was weak gas struts that don't hold up the hood any longer.
You can get new hood struts on ebay for less than $40, and they're a very easy DIY install.
Old 11-17-14, 11:54 AM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by JumboJimbo
... I did notice that the tires on the car are 205/60-15 and the stock tire was 205/65. Any opinions on the different aspect ratio? I think I will get new rubber before winter sets in hard and i'm not sure if I should go back to the stock size....
Last time I needed new tires for my '91 (205/65R15, with OE wheels), I took the opportunity to buy a set of 16" wheels with almost new tires from a clublexus member with a late 90's SC. That worked out great. Since many of the newer (than ours) Lexus owners look to upgrade their wheels, there is a good supply of old ones that can often be bought for a very good price.

Also, I'm still running the OE brakes, which are just fine. But many early LS owners like to update the brake calipers, which will not fit under the '91 OE wheels = another reason to move to bigger wheels when getting new tires.
Old 11-19-14, 07:54 PM
Bill Dowd
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Cool

Another 91 LS owner I have 318,000 miles and found that I had to replace many parts after 270,000 miles starter alternator motor mounts trans mounts upper and lower suspension parts radiator master cylinder cap liars etc. I found a place in Santa Ana here in CA that I get great prices and product comes from Japan. The motor trans and A/C is original. Something interesting I found a A/C shop in Garden Grove who changed my R12 Freon to 134 Freon for only $125.00 only changing the Schrader valves and pulling out the old oil and Freon I was told by many shops it would cost around $1000.00to $1400.00 to this and the system runs freezing cold. They wanted to replace the compressor, expansion valve dryer and one wanted to change the evaporator It's been 6 months using it every day here in HOT CA and so fare so good. I have been reading in this forum that changing the temp sensor make a difference I am now getting 24-25 MPG highway miles before I was getting 19-22 what a difference happy motoring .
Old 11-20-14, 08:51 AM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Got 247k on mine. Alwsys used 87 octane no issues. If you're going to be driving it hard constantly then go with premium fuel