LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Power Steering pump

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-03, 04:36 PM
spxChrome
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Power Steering pump

Anybody know where I can get an OEM power steering pump & Vacum Valve for my 93 LS? And are they hard to replace? I was leaking a little fluid and this is what the dealer said was the problem. I know it is common problem and he recommends replacing with only OEM pump. Cost is $1,000. I am thinking about trying stop leak from Walmart first. Can't do much more damage since I may need to replace the whole thing anyway. It is a small leak but I need to get it stopped before it tears up may alt.

Last edited by spxChrome; 03-05-03 at 05:21 PM.
Old 03-05-03, 08:54 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ebay has one. Otherwise try calling up a bunch of part stores (Yellow Pages). I got mine in local shop for $150. Replacing it is easy if you worked on cars before.
Old 03-06-03, 03:41 AM
RODDMOD
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry

I have used the E BAY pump Don't do it it ...the seal blew out all over my new altenator. The Valve on the pump can be left with the plug that it comes with it and a bypass hose can be added to the intake, you won't notice a difference.
Old 03-06-03, 06:47 AM
tn52
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reseal Kit

Another option is to buy OEM Lexus PS reseal kit and repair it. The kit costs something like $25 - $35. You can do a search on this topic here to learn more...
Old 03-06-03, 10:15 AM
dbullen
Pole Position

I purchased a power steering pump off ebay, not sure if it was out of a wreched car or whether it was rebuilt. Working fine for the last 2 months. However your taking a gamble in purchasing a used one no matter where you buy it. I paid about $150 for mine + shipping.
Old 03-06-03, 11:57 AM
spxChrome
Lead Lap

Well, after the inspected it - the thing is leaking really bad now, so I am going to let them fix it.

Anything else that may need checking or replacing (if cheap) while they are in there?

I am getting new power steering pump and vacum seal.

Should I get a new filter? Any other seals or hoses?
Old 03-06-03, 01:09 PM
Herm
Driver

Default PS leak thoughts

spxChrome

You are right, seems to be common problem. Lots of PS Leak repair info in a thread I started in the MAINTENANCE forum 2/6/03 called "PS Pump Seal Kit".

Changing the pump took me about 45-60 minutes (first time I did it), not too bad of a job but you do need to have some mechnical repair experience. New Lexus PS pump was about $ 390. I would bet someone with experienced could do it in a small fraction of that time.

Be sure they clean filter screen in rack solenoid !! (see info in thread mentioned above) - 15 minute job (for me) This filter and it's cleaning procedure does not seem to be documnted anywhere but makes all the difference in the world.

I replaced PS return hose since it was rock hard, generic hose was about 1/10 the cost of OEM.

I have heard some people say they replace the high pressure hose at the same time since it is said to be prone to leaks, but it is close to $300.

Hope the above helps - let us know how you make out. - Herm
Old 03-07-03, 03:24 PM
spxChrome
Lead Lap

Well, just picked up my car from the dealership and the PS is like new (actually it is new) Also, cleaned PS Filter and said both hoses where OK. So that was a break I needed.

But he also mentioned that both motor mounts are collapsed. It's like I fix one thing and 2 things break

Are the moter mounts worth replacing? I mean that can't be an emergency job, although it sounds scary. Anybody want to comment. I would love to hear the reprecushion for not getting them fixed.

thanks,

- Broke LS Owner
Old 03-07-03, 04:55 PM
tenpointed
Banned

Worn out motor mounts can lead to a whole host of problems. Basically, when you give the car gas, the engine will actually lift and things can break loose, like exhaust, hoses, etc. If the mounts are really bad, you'd defintely hear and feel it when you accelerate hard. I believe Lexus mounts are liquid filled to ensure a smoother ride. Most motor mounts are rubber. I'd have a private mechanic inspect it before handing the car over to the dealer to do the work.
Old 03-08-03, 09:41 PM
jeffl
Driver School Candidate

Default A Word on PS Pressure Hose

Along these lines, if you need to replace the high-pressure hose on your LS, here's a way to save some$$$. I needed a new one ('90LS) but I couldn't find anyplace that could get the part in less than a week. So, I got desparate and took the old hose off and took it to an industrial hose supplier (EVCO House of Hose, if you have one in your area). They rebuilt the hose for me in about five minutes and charged me $35! The hose they used is rated at 3x the pressure rating as the OEM hose! Frankly, I think the new hose is a whole lot better than OEM! You need to do some careful planning though as you will be left with more hose and less metal tubing because they will need to cut out a portion of the metal tubing in order to fit the new piece of hose on. It's not a big problem; you just need to consider exactly how the hose will be routed because it WILL need to be routed a little differently. I don't know a whole lot about PS systems and someone out there may tell me I've done a really dumb thing but so far (about a year) it's working wonderfully.