LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Rear hub bearings-grinding noise- Going crazy!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-14, 01:00 PM
steve1961
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dicer
I haven't been into them yet on an LS400. I'll study the books when I can and let you know what I find. Are the bearings taper roller type?
Yes I believe so made by Timken also there is a pink dot on each side of the differential where the axles bolt on so I'm curious if the axles aren't connected properly to the differential. It looks like it doesn't matter how they go on to me. Also how do you put the bearings back in the old cv axles is there a trick to this? I'm also wondering if I was sold the right bearings but the axles go into the hub very easy to a point but when you tighten it up the hub won't move like maybe I have the wrong bearings

Last edited by steve1961; 12-28-14 at 12:52 PM.
Old 12-28-14, 09:17 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

It looks like these cars do not use taper roller wheel bearings. The nut that holds the axle in the bearings is torqued to 253 ft lbs.
The bearing should be kinda self contained and the races would have the proper preload spacer.
http://lexus.sewellparts.com/oem-cat...S400-1992.html
After the nut is tightened if it is way too hard to turn then the bearing is at fault somehow.

In the picture it still looks like the seal is either not in far enough or the hub is not in far enough. The new preloaded bearings should have a small amount of resistance. Unlike taper rollers that need a bit of play, the double ball bearings use a bit of preload.
Maybe they were not pressed in correctly. The pressure needs to be on the larger diameter part that fits in the hole, not being applied to an area that puts the press in pressure on the *****. If it was pressed against the ***** then it is probably a junk bearing now. Unless the guy pressing was a trainee, any automotive machine shop should know how to do it right. Though I did have a shop goof up some geo metro wheel bearings one time, I didn't watch them press it in. It didn't last a month.

Last edited by dicer; 12-28-14 at 09:28 PM.
Old 12-29-14, 04:39 AM
steve1961
Driver School Candidate

It looks like these cars do not use taper roller wheel bearings. The nut that holds the axle in the bearings is torqued to 253 ft lbs.
The bearing should be kinda self contained and the races would have the proper preload spacer.
http://lexus.sewellparts.com/oem-cat...S400-1992.html
After the nut is tightened if it is way too hard to turn then the bearing is at fault somehow.

In the picture it still looks like the seal is either not in far enough or the hub is not in far enough. The new preloaded bearings should have a small amount of resistance. Unlike taper rollers that need a bit of play, the double ball bearings use a bit of preload.
Maybe they were not pressed in correctly. The pressure needs to be on the larger diameter part that fits in the hole, not being applied to an area that puts the press in pressure on the *****. If it was pressed against the ***** then it is probably a junk bearing now. Unless the guy pressing was a trainee, any automotive machine shop should know how to do it right. Though I did have a shop goof up some geo metro wheel bearings one time, I didn't watch them press it in. It didn't last a month.
Thank you for checking into this you've given me a lot of good information. I'm taking it to a shop today to let them look at the hub and bearings. I'm hoping they can figure out what's wrong without me having to have the car towed there. Okay turns out my problem was the dust shield on each axle. I didn't know the whole thing popped off but the mechanic pried both off with a big screwdriver and tightened the axle nut with an impact gun and they still turn nice and smooth so thank you Lord!!

Last edited by steve1961; 12-29-14 at 06:14 PM. Reason: update
Old 12-30-14, 12:15 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Any news from the shop?
Old 12-30-14, 12:20 PM
steve1961
Driver School Candidate

Any news from the shop?
Yea I updated my last post to say it was the dust shields that were grinding. The mechanic popped off both dust shields and it turns nice and smooth. Almost done just have to put the brakes on and then after it sitting on car jacks for almost two months I can finally say it's finished!!
Old 12-31-14, 03:23 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

Yeah the dust shields are the first thing I check especially if I had the wheel off recently.
Old 12-31-14, 04:21 PM
steve1961
Driver School Candidate

Well took it for a test drive today and it did fine until I found out I had no brakes. Took it back home and seen brake fluid by the rear tire so jacked it up and my whole brake line is all rusted and corroded and leaking. My fuel lines were the same way but had a friend replace all the rusted part so now I guess I need to do the same thing with the brake lines. I think I'm going to take it to the shop because not sure how hard it would be to fix. I know you can cut off the bad part and replace with a new line using compression fittings so I don't know if I'll attempt it or not.