LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Are the Michelin Primacy MXV4 still the recommended all season tire here?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-14, 08:58 AM
dvdchance
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Are the Michelin Primacy MXV4 still the recommended all season tire here?

I need to get some new tires for my 95 and I'm curious if the Michelins are still the number 1 choice among the forums knowledgable members?

Any other top contenders worth checking out? I live in the NJ area so top snow use isn't a must. I'd prefer a very quiet tire over performance as well.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited by dvdchance; 12-07-14 at 09:21 AM.
Old 12-07-14, 09:56 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 472 Likes on 362 Posts

These are pretty much the standard for an A/S tire, consistent year after year.

Tire Rack's reviews sum these up:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....l=Primacy+MXV4

If you want to consider alternatives:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey....jsp?type=GTAS
Old 12-07-14, 10:30 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,968 Posts

They're in the process of being phased out and replaced with the similar Premier A/S.
Old 12-07-14, 11:57 AM
dvdchance
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by SW13GS
They're in the process of being phased out and replaced with the similar Premier A/S.
Besides costing about $40 more per tire, do the Premier have any noteworthy pluses over the MXV4's?
Old 12-07-14, 12:31 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dvdchance
Besides costing about $40 more per tire, do the Premier have any noteworthy pluses over the MXV4's?
I doubt it. They actually have a little bit shallower tread. If buy the Primacy while you still can. The tire I would probably buy in that class though is the Pirelli Cinturato P7 Plus right now.
Old 12-08-14, 11:34 AM
dvdchance
Pit Crew

I doubt it. They actually have a little bit shallower tread. If buy the Primacy while you still can. The tire I would probably buy in that class though is the Pirelli Cinturato P7 Plus right now.
Thanks for the Pirelli recomendation. I read the reviews, saw the cheaper price and they are on the way. My first purchase via Tire Rack and a local installer.

Hoping all goes smooth as silk.
Old 12-08-14, 03:30 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

No problem! I'm planning on putting them on my GS too.
Old 12-11-14, 11:49 AM
dvdchance
Pit Crew

No problem! I'm planning on putting them on my GS too.
Just had the tires installed this morning. First impressions are very positive. Even before wear-in, I noticed an improved handling then what I had with the Coopers that were on the car. Also very quiet, was cruising the highway at 75 radio off and didn't hear a thing from them.

The Tire Rack direct to installer process was very smooth. I now wish I would have used them before. Great prices, a much larger selection of tires then available locally, sounds like my future tire source.
Old 12-12-14, 02:43 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 82 Likes on 40 Posts

which is the best tire may depend more on what you seek in a tire - for example, I like quietness and ride above all else in an LS400, so in my case, I am not convinced that the Primacy's have any real competition, however if your main thing were something like high speed cornering, then a different tire, such as the Pirelli might be top choice.
Old 12-12-14, 05:45 AM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

I used the V4's for a couple years but after awhile i felt they became a bit noisey i just switched to the Turanza Serenity Plus and the difference so far has been great. I think it corners better and the much more quiet. I will see how they are in a year or more.

But well worth the cost to me.
Old 12-14-14, 08:31 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
which is the best tire may depend more on what you seek in a tire - for example, I like quietness and ride above all else in an LS400, so in my case, I am not convinced that the Primacy's have any real competition, however if your main thing were something like high speed cornering, then a different tire, such as the Pirelli might be top choice.
Conventional wisdom, I would agree...but if you look at the reviews and testing of these tires we're seeing a different story.

The P7 Plus is not a handling or cornering tire, its a grand touring tire. TireRack just completed a thorough test of 4 top selling grand touring tires...the Michelin Premier was one (the Primacy MXV4's replacement) alongside the Bridgestone Serenity and the Continental ContiPureContact. The winner when it came to ride and noise level was the Pirelli...and the loser when it came to handling was the Pirelli.

The results:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=188
Old 12-15-14, 06:58 AM
mappo
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for this! It looks like the Michelins are middle of the road performers in dry conditions but are better than everyone else on wet roads.
Old 12-15-14, 07:29 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

No problem. I've had many sets of the Michelins and never found them to be great traction tires, but the best attribute has always been a smooth quiet ride. I can't get the MXV4 on the GS, but it has the Primacy MXM4 which have about 33k miles on them and can probably do another 5-10k. Very smooth and quiet also. I likely will replace them with these P7 Plus Pirellis.
Old 12-16-14, 07:23 AM
peterls
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts

I just had new Michelin Primacy MXV4 installed and could not be happier. I am most concerned with grip in wet conditions because any tire will (hopefully) give decent performance in dry, but most accidents and troubles happen in wet. Since I started using Michelins years ago, I was always impressed with their handling and braking in wet - almost as good as in dry!

And as soon as I installed them, heavy rain hit Northern California. I had to drive all along HWY 5 in super-wet conditions and Primacy MXV4 were great.

Before MXV4 I used Michelin Pilot on my Integra, and those were unbelievably good too especially in emergency braking.

And while on this subject, a word of caution: do not use Falcen Ziex 912 under any circumstances. Those have such soft side walls that the only thing they are good for is stretching, otherwise, they are pure, unadulterated garbage good only for those with a death wish. Falcen is also terribly stupid tire which is both directional and symmetrical, but without markings which should be left and which one is right... so many cars have tires with same tread on both sides, which makes car pull to one side or another... just plain horrible. I bought used 16" wheels, and they came with Ziex 912 installed, brand new, and the experience was the worst ever. Never had a brand new tire be so bad, ever.
Old 01-10-15, 06:00 PM
JacketJet
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dvdchance
I need to get some new tires for my 95 and I'm curious if the Michelins are still the number 1 choice among the forums knowledgable members?

Any other top contenders worth checking out? I live in the NJ area so top snow use isn't a must. I'd prefer a very quiet tire over performance as well.

Thanks for reading.
IMHO, the Michelin Primacy is the best tire for the LS400. They are currently installed on both of my LS400s. Mine are V-rated, but Michelin also makes an H-rated version which costs less than the V-rated.