LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Starting problem (maybe electric???)

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-15, 07:57 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 313 Likes on 270 Posts
Default Starting problem (maybe electric???)

This happened only twice in the last two months. I turn the key on, all dash lights and everything come on but when I turn to engage starter nothing happens. No click, no dimming of any lights. Keep trying, and nothing. If I leave the key on for 20 seconds it will start. It's not a serious recuring problem and I cant duplicate the problem. Both times it happened the temp was below zero and rain and snow the day and night before. Any ideas what this could be? New battery, (3 months) and rewired the plug on alternator 2 months ago. I dont see any loose connections.
Old 03-07-15, 08:03 AM
Yamae

Received 882 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by deanshark
This happened only twice in the last two months. I turn the key on, all dash lights and everything come on but when I turn to engage starter nothing happens. No click, no dimming of any lights. Keep trying, and nothing. If I leave the key on for 20 seconds it will start. It's not a serious recuring problem and I cant duplicate the problem. Both times it happened the temp was below zero and rain and snow the day and night before. Any ideas what this could be? New battery, (3 months) and rewired the plug on alternator 2 months ago. I dont see any loose connections.
Sounds like the neutral safety switch has a conduction problem. The electric grease tends to cause that problem when very cold especially when the grease is aged. I bet it only happens when very cold morning.

There is a cheap way to fix it which I have writen a few years ago.

Last edited by Yamae; 03-07-15 at 08:12 AM.
Old 03-07-15, 08:06 AM
randal
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it only happens during below 0 F, then I would be looking at the ECU. Caps maybe? If it is electronic related, it might get worse even at elevated temps but about all you can do is keep an 'eye' on it for now. I would not go on a witch hunt if it has not left you stranded.

What year is your car?
Old 03-07-15, 08:40 AM
Yamae

Originally Posted by randal
If it only happens during below 0 F, then I would be looking at the ECU. Caps maybe? If it is electronic related, it might get worse even at elevated temps but about all you can do is keep an 'eye' on it for now. I would not go on a witch hunt if it has not left you stranded.

What year is your car?
Don't mislead others. The ECU does not do any to prevent to run the starter.
Old 03-07-15, 01:17 PM
randal
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Yamae
Don't mislead others. The ECU does not do any to prevent to run the starter.
I am not trying to "mislead" others. Just trying to help as I am sure most everyone is doing. The theft deterrent ECU must ground one side of the starter relay coil in order for the starter to operate. It is essentially in series with the neutral safety switch. However, if that is how you feel and is the general consensus of this board, then I will leave and not visit anymore.

Last edited by randal; 03-07-15 at 03:01 PM.
Old 03-07-15, 02:01 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Starter relay, the same one that the security system activates or deactivates.
Old 03-07-15, 02:41 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by randal
I am not trying to "mislead" others. Just trying to help as I am sure most everyone is doing. The theft deterrent ECU must ground one side of the starter relay in order for the starter to operate. It is essentially in series with the neutral safety switch. However, if that is how you feel and is the general consensus of this board, then I will leave and not visit anymore.
That is not the general consensus of the board randal. I think Yamae could have chosen his words a little better but since since English is not his native language I would have no Ideal on how to help him do it. In any case Most of us would be misleading others lol.
Old 03-07-15, 03:06 PM
randal
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sha4000
That is not the general consensus of the board randal. I think Yamae could have chosen his words a little better but since since English is not his native language I would have no Ideal on how to help him do it. In any case Most of us would be misleading others lol.
Maybe but I believe his English is pretty good. I may be getting into others 'sandboxes' and I can understand why it is not appreciated. In any case, I think I will cool it for a while on this board.
Old 03-07-15, 06:59 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

That's a shame but I understand the sandbox feeling.
Old 03-07-15, 07:03 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 313 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Yamae
Sounds like the neutral safety switch has a conduction problem. The electric grease tends to cause that problem when very cold especially when the grease is aged. I bet it only happens when very cold morning.

There is a cheap way to fix it which I have writen a few years ago.
Thanks Yamae, now that you mention that, it sounds right in my head. I should have thought of that. Like I said, the temp was below zero. Its just like the grease in the speedo getting stuck when its humid.
No sense for everyone to argue about it, I did just ask for ideas.
I searched for the cheap fix you said but couldnt find it.
Old 03-07-15, 08:37 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

I don't try or want to mislead anyone, I just put out other things it could be if someone else has covered something else that could be the problem. Yamae is one of the best here especially electrical problems.
Old 03-08-15, 06:55 AM
Yamae

Sorry that my words were too strict and not suitable, randal.
I know you have been doing great and saving quite many people. But this time I was a bit amazed at you strange advise. I wondered why a person like you wrote such an inaccurate information. I thought may be you were drinking alcohol or something like me. I was drinking wine last night and I was a bit drunk.

The starter motor is not related to the ECU at all and it can be easily checked seeing the wiring diagram quickly.

Recently I found some people are misleading others often here with their strange advices based only on their speculations. I thought you were not those type of people but all of the sudden you wrote what was not correct which might confuse or mislead others. I must apologize that I used rude words after drinking Spanish wine too much.
Old 03-08-15, 06:21 PM
randal
Lead Lap

I was not drinking any alcohol at all, Yamae. And I respectfully disagree about the ECU having nothing to do with the starter. If you look at a schematic, you will see that the low side(pin 3) of the starter relay coil is controlled by the theft deterent ECU. This is, the coil must be grounded by the ECU in order for the starter relay to engage. The other end of the starter relay coil(pin 1) is driven by +12V from the ignition switch and the neutral start switch. But without grounding pin 3 of the coil, via the ECU, the starter relay would not engage. That is precisely how the theft system prevents the starter from cranking.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Operation.pdf (32.6 KB, 143 views)

Last edited by randal; 03-08-15 at 06:27 PM.
Old 03-09-15, 02:25 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

Ok, back to the issue at hand and word play out of it.