LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

strut rod bushing position

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-15, 10:53 AM
LsG86
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default strut rod bushing position

Hey guys on the strut rod bushing, the yellow tab points toward the ground but can anyone tell if its facing the right direction in the pics below. This is only the passenger side. I am experiencing premature failure due to the cushion being position wrong and the noise is coming from the passenger side. Notice the yellow tab pointing up.

Is this how the new cushion should be position on the passenger side?

Old 06-02-15, 11:20 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 173 Likes on 130 Posts

the answer is yes, but now listen...

you can place the tab UP or DOWN, 6 oclock or 12 oclock.. you get the same action either way.
the internal action is the same.... BUT BUT BUT..

what is important is when you tighten the BOLT ..
we always jack the spindle up until it is no longer on the jack stand (the wheel is in a normal height position) and then tighten the bolt..
like the car was on the ground and then tighten it

if you tighten it while hanging and then let the car down and the wheel goes to normal position, all the slack/action in the bushing is used up and the first "bump" you hit you tear the bushing/rubber.

hope you understand what I am saying..
Old 06-02-15, 11:49 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Billy, are they accessible to tighten if the car is on ramps? Of course you would want to jack up the opposite end of car to level it up. I ask because there aren't really good jack points and the leverage factor on the suspension. But when the car is on the tire it properly loads the suspension.
Old 06-02-15, 12:17 PM
LsG86
Driver

Thanks guys, and yes billy I completely understand. But here's the deal some time last year when I replaced both strut bar cushions. I installed the bars on both side THEN I LOWERWD the car on ground so the bushings would be loaded with the car weight then I had torqued the bolts to the factory 134ft lbs. Did everything correctly to a tee but some how the passenger cushion gave out. Only reason I can think of is the shop I used to press out the old cushion and press in the new cushions. I told them that one of those cushions were positioned incorrectly, but I looked over it. Or mabey I hit too many pot holes here in Dallas.
Old 06-02-15, 02:12 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LsG86
Thanks guys, and yes billy I completely understand. But here's the deal some time last year when I replaced both strut bar cushions. I installed the bars on both side THEN I LOWERWD the car on ground so the bushings would be loaded with the car weight then I had torqued the bolts to the factory 134ft lbs. Did everything correctly to a tee but some how the passenger cushion gave out. Only reason I can think of is the shop I used to press out the old cushion and press in the new cushions. I told them that one of those cushions were positioned incorrectly, but I looked over it. Or mabey I hit too many pot holes here in Dallas.
after all our rain we got a lot of pot holes to hit..... what part of town you in, I'm in Carrollton.
Old 06-02-15, 02:23 PM
LsG86
Driver

Originally Posted by billydpowe
after all our rain we got a lot of pot holes to hit..... what part of town you in, I'm in Carrollton.
North Dallas by Richland community college, but I drive all all over the metro area from desoto to Frisco. By my sister house they have some nasty roads by the down town area, that's when I first notice the metal on metal sound.

Well I got it off, now I just gotta find a shop.
The following users liked this post:
Sherl (03-10-19)
Old 06-02-15, 02:36 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

I use a friends press but he uses it too... so I have to be careful.. not to crowd him.
Old 06-02-15, 02:59 PM
LsG86
Driver

I found two or three machine shops, I will shop around and post the results in the next day or two.

Update 6/4/15 8:20pm: I was able to find a shop to press in the new cushion, it took him less than 20 minutes using a 12 ton press from Harbor Freight and it only cost me $15. Strut rod is back on the car and sure enough there is no more of that metal on metal clacking noise. I torqued the cushion bolt with with the wheels on the ground.

Last edited by LsG86; 06-04-15 at 06:30 PM.