LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Are there any rare Gen 1's?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-16, 08:01 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

uncommon cars..

cloth seats/no sunroof

very early examples from the first few months of production in 1989

don't see too many dark blue ones

the 1994 anniversary edition, as per stated above
Old 03-09-16, 08:25 AM
CELSI0R
Racer

Received 294 Likes on 231 Posts

Mine may be rare as an LS400, but not necessarily in comparison to Celsiors(?).

It's a 1991 model with no options at all, other than Lexus carpets and mud guards.

Black Jade Pearl with no sunroof & cloth interior. More details here.

Last edited by CELSI0R; 03-09-16 at 08:32 AM.
Old 03-09-16, 06:06 PM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

That's similar to my '91. Same color as yours. When my in-laws bought it new, they did not want a sunroof and they said the only way they could get that was to get cloth interior as well. But they wanted leather, so the dealer had aftermarket gray leather installed.
Old 03-09-16, 06:16 PM
CELSI0R
Racer

Originally Posted by oldskewel
That's similar to my '91. Same color as yours. When my in-laws bought it new, they did not want a sunroof and they said the only way they could get that was to get cloth interior as well. But they wanted leather, so the dealer had aftermarket gray leather installed.
Wow, that's incredible! So technically, our cars are the same!

I'm assuming that aftermarket implies that they installed it at the dealer, so it's Toyota/Lexus quality.

Do you have any pictures of your car? I'm really curious!!
Old 03-09-16, 09:22 PM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Yes, installed at the dealer before it left. Very nice stuff. The front seats finally wore out enough a couple of years ago that I threw on some Leatherette seat covers.
I'm away from home now for a couple more weeks, so no pics yet. But it won't look exactly like yours - the hood clearcoat started bubbling and flaking off a couple of years ago, so I ended up peeling it all off and plasti-dipping the hood black. Looks great if you ask me, and certainly better than the peeling clearcoat looked. At the same time, I black plasti-dipped the gray lower cladding, bumpers, and grille. Oh, and the wheels are black plasti-dipped too. The car is practically invisible at night time. Anyway, all easily reversible in case anyone ever wants to give it a real paint job, because it is plastidip. But to be clear, the roof, doors, trunk, fenders, etc. are still the original paint - which is dark enough that it blends well with the black dip.

One thing I notice different from your image in your signature - I think on the back, I only have the L logo, no LS400 or anything else. And the pin-striping is much more subtle - you only see it if you look for it. Wheels have been updated to 16"ers from an SC400 I got from another member on this list a few years ago.

I have the original window sticker - so when I get home I can check to see if there were any other options.
Old 03-10-16, 05:53 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

considering how old these cars are now, finding any single one that is in good shape, low miles, and not clapped out is a rare sight
Old 03-10-16, 08:22 AM
CELSI0R
Racer

Originally Posted by oldskewel
Yes, installed at the dealer before it left. Very nice stuff. The front seats finally wore out enough a couple of years ago that I threw on some Leatherette seat covers.
I'm away from home now for a couple more weeks, so no pics yet. But it won't look exactly like yours - the hood clearcoat started bubbling and flaking off a couple of years ago, so I ended up peeling it all off and plasti-dipping the hood black. Looks great if you ask me, and certainly better than the peeling clearcoat looked. At the same time, I black plasti-dipped the gray lower cladding, bumpers, and grille. Oh, and the wheels are black plasti-dipped too. The car is practically invisible at night time. Anyway, all easily reversible in case anyone ever wants to give it a real paint job, because it is plastidip. But to be clear, the roof, doors, trunk, fenders, etc. are still the original paint - which is dark enough that it blends well with the black dip.

One thing I notice different from your image in your signature - I think on the back, I only have the L logo, no LS400 or anything else. And the pin-striping is much more subtle - you only see it if you look for it. Wheels have been updated to 16"ers from an SC400 I got from another member on this list a few years ago.

I have the original window sticker - so when I get home I can check to see if there were any other options.
I remember seeing your thread, where you sold the chrome LS rims. Those were nice, but SC400 rims look great as well. I really like all of the first decade of wheel styles Toyota designed for Lexus.

In terms of the LS400 emblem on my trunk, that actually wasn't stock. The previous owner really liked chrome trim, so he got a Mercedes font badge set and placed them on the trunk. My pin-striping is also more subtle than I made it in my signature, but it looks thicker in the graphic to emphasize that it's there.

So, to make sure I understood you correctly, the lower trim and bumpers are also plastidipped black, right? I'm happy that you're happy with how your car looks; plastidip is so much better than peeling clearcoat!
Old 03-10-16, 08:28 AM
pmarr
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/5459975969.html
Can't vouch for the authenticity of the posted year of 1989 but a maroon with what appears to be maroon leather has been on CL in the No. Cal area for some time now.
Old 03-10-16, 12:21 PM
CELSI0R
Racer

Originally Posted by pmarr
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/5459975969.html
Can't vouch for the authenticity of the posted year of 1989 but a maroon with what appears to be maroon leather has been on CL in the No. Cal area for some time now.
Very interesting, but I absolutely dislike how the owner parked it half way into those bushes... Talk about scratches...
Old 03-11-16, 10:05 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Got one like that, its on long term lone.
Old 03-11-16, 07:06 PM
KJG92
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about those Euro spec ones that say a little lower, beefed up sway bats and the cool 17 inch wheels? From what I've read those are pretty rare.
Old 03-11-16, 09:09 PM
CELSI0R
Racer

Originally Posted by KJG92
What about those Euro spec ones that say a little lower, beefed up sway bats and the cool 17 inch wheels? From what I've read those are pretty rare.
There were UCF10 and UCF11 models with 17 inch rims and sway bars? Wow, I never knew that!

Are there any photos?
Old 03-12-16, 02:59 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by KJG92
Originally Posted by CELSI0R
There were UCF10 and UCF11 models with 17 inch rims and sway bars? Wow, I never knew that!

Are there any photos?

The Dynamic Handling Package was offered in '98-00 cars only, not before that.
6 spoke 17s, slightly uprated sway bars, and ~10mm lower ride height.

Never available on
Old 03-12-16, 03:14 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

For numerical rarity in north america I would say the following:

Theoretical as I haven't actually seen one:
'98-00 LS400 BASE, hardtop, no 6disc changer, standard suspension, pioneer/halogen.

Probable:
94 hardtop, cloth, pioneer, air. I think.
Old 03-14-16, 08:57 PM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

i was waiting for someone to post this,hasnt happened so here it is..rare gen 1 ls 400's.....ones on the side of the road broke down! there u go..everything..anything..nothing...else matters

Quick Reply: Are there any rare Gen 1's?