LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Newbie - multiple 1995 LS400 issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-15, 12:32 PM
KBaileyTN
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie - multiple 1995 LS400 issues

Hi everyone - glad I found this place. I purchased a 1995 LS400 back in early spring. So far it's been a pretty good car. We've put a new battery in, new serp belt.

When I got the car the check engine light came on after a week and it read as the O2 sensor. Okay, no biggie.

Now recently a few things have started happening. I'm wanting to know if it is worth fixing, etc.

~High idle in park, around 1 1/2 to 2. Up and down. In drive it idles under 1.
~When driving, if I take my foot off the gas pedal there is this tremendous jerking. Like someone tapped my car's rearend.
~When I shift into drive - the car pulls - hard. In traffic sometimes I don't even need the gas pedal.
~The TRAC Off light is doing a slow flash. This started within the past week.
~The break pad wear indicator is now on (this one is prob obvious)
~My car died at a stop light the other night. I had driven appx 30ish miles and was about 15 from home. Stopped a a red light and my car just died. I put it in park and started it back. Hasn't done it since.

My real concern is in the jerking when taking my foot off the gas pedal. If I do more of a ease off the pedal the jerking isn't as prominent but still noticeable. If I just take my foot off, especially going up any type of an incline. I feel like the bottom is about to drop out of the car.

I love this car, and want to get it fixed, Please help if you can.
Old 07-13-15, 01:43 PM
aptoslexus
Advanced

Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

When I got the car the check engine light came on after a week and it read as the O2 sensor. Okay, no biggie.
No biggie? No biggie as in you didn't do anything about it, or no biggie as in you had it fixed?
Old 07-13-15, 02:20 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus.

Although it is the 2-LS the FAQ, this covers many of the discussions on trouble shooting and maintenance for the 1-LS as well.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...questions.html
Old 07-13-15, 05:38 PM
omarg
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

pull the codes. when my 95 LS400's O2 sensor broke it blew a fuse and disable the MAF. car ran like crap. Fluctuating idle, poor power and trac off flashing. Pulled the codes and looked at wiring diagram. Replaced a 10a fuse under the hood and car is perfect.

Check the ECU fuses. borrow the 10a fuse from the horn.
Old 07-14-15, 05:44 AM
KBaileyTN
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by aptoslexus
No biggie? No biggie as in you didn't do anything about it, or no biggie as in you had it fixed?

I did not do anything about it. I was told by multiple sources that the O2 sensor being out is common in a lot of cars and will not hurt the functionality of the vehicle aside from gas mileage.

I don't mean to sound ignorant, one person who told me that was a mechanic. I guess that may be the case with other brands of vehicles but not Lexus? Not sure.
Old 07-14-15, 05:51 AM
KBaileyTN
Driver School Candidate

RA40 - Thanks for the welcome. I will read up on the forum you linked during the day today.

omarg - That sounds easy enough to trouble shoot. When you say pull the codes do you mean by going to AutoZone and having them hook up the car or by doing this in car?

I read up a little yesterday about the ECU - I am keeping my fingers crossed its just a fuse vs. having to fix the ECU itself.

I forgot to mention the speedometer has been on/off working. As well as the RPM gauge.

Yesterday it died on me 3 times when I would stop at a light. No sputter, no clangs or bangs just quit.

Also thanks for all the help, I'm not super car savvy but would like to be. I love this place so far, lots of help and information to teach myself about this car. This helps a lot being on a tight budget.
Old 07-14-15, 07:18 AM
aptoslexus
Advanced

Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by KBaileyTN
I did not do anything about it. I was told by multiple sources that the O2 sensor being out is common in a lot of cars and will not hurt the functionality of the vehicle aside from gas mileage.

I don't mean to sound ignorant, one person who told me that was a mechanic. I guess that may be the case with other brands of vehicles but not Lexus? Not sure.
That's one mechanic to avoid. The O2 sensor communicates with the engine ECU to regulate how your engine works. If your O2 sensor has failed, that communication is dysfunctional, and so will be the operation of your engine, and not just in gas mileage. It's not something you can ignore.
Old 07-14-15, 07:56 AM
KBaileyTN
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by aptoslexus
That's one mechanic to avoid. The O2 sensor communicates with the engine ECU to regulate how your engine works. If your O2 sensor has failed, that communication is dysfunctional, and so will be the operation of your engine, and not just in gas mileage. It's not something you can ignore.
After doing research I am agreeing. Luckily that mechanic has never worked on our vehicles. My husband normally does the work himself unless it is something major, we have been lucky enough to not have anything major.

For Lexus what would be anyones recommendations on an O2 sensor at a reasonable price (if there is a reasonable price).
Old 07-14-15, 02:55 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

Go to rockauto and get the OEM sensor for a reasonable price.
Old 07-14-15, 03:31 PM
omarg
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by KBaileyTN
RA40 - Thanks for the welcome. I will read up on the forum you linked during the day today.

omarg - That sounds easy enough to trouble shoot. When you say pull the codes do you mean by going to AutoZone and having them hook up the car or by doing this in car?

Yes, have them pull all the codes. Keep the printout they give you and report back

I read up a little yesterday about the ECU - I am keeping my fingers crossed its just a fuse vs. having to fix the ECU itself.

Very common issue on older lexus. I have been very lucky and none of my cars have ever needed it.

I forgot to mention the speedometer has been on/off working. As well as the RPM gauge.

This is very normal. Give the dash a gentle tap. my 94, 95 and 00 all have sticky gauges.

Yesterday it died on me 3 times when I would stop at a light. No sputter, no clangs or bangs just quit.

This is probably o2 sensor related but check codes first. My car would die and sputter very subtley. Most car owners would write off that the car is old and accept it, not me. I expect mechanical perfection

Also thanks for all the help, I'm not super car savvy but would like to be. I love this place so far, lots of help and information to teach myself about this car. This helps a lot being on a tight budget.
This forum has saved me so much money and headache. 9 Years later, hopefully I can give back from what I've learned. I really love these cars
I got an 02 sensor from amazon. I chose the "used" option because the item is new, but returned. Probably because the original purchaser purchased the wrong one.

Also, I chose the "universal" 02 sensor because crimping and splicing the old connector seemed easier than pulling up the carpet to reach the connecter. Also it was half price. Amazon is stupid fast AND convenient.

Amazon.com: Denso 234-4209 Oxygen Sensor: Automotive Amazon.com: Denso 234-4209 Oxygen Sensor: Automotive
Old 07-14-15, 04:30 PM
Yamae

Received 890 Likes on 672 Posts

Originally Posted by omarg
pull the codes. when my 95 LS400's O2 sensor broke it blew a fuse and disable the MAF. car ran like crap. Fluctuating idle, poor power and trac off flashing. Pulled the codes and looked at wiring diagram. Replaced a 10a fuse under the hood and car is perfect.

Check the ECU fuses. borrow the 10a fuse from the horn.
Hi omarg. Do you mean "10A EFI No.2 Fuse"?
Old 07-14-15, 09:27 PM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

if ur ecm hasnt been fixed..its most certainly needs the caps replaced,95's are notorious.
Old 07-15-15, 07:11 AM
omarg
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Yamae
Hi omarg. Do you mean "10A EFI No.2 Fuse"?
haha yes exactly. thanks for the clarification. It was raining here and I didn't feel like taking the fuse cover off.