LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

new owner

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-20, 08:30 PM
JohnAndic
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by jaaa
Okay, this will be year two for my permatex repair. Still holding up with no signs of leakage. So it appears taking the exhaust apart at the flange and using permatex is much better than trying to use a muffler patch on the outside of the flange seam. I never got more than about a year out of the external muffler patch, and this is a two year stretch on using permatex.

What did you use exactly? Some high temp gasket maker? I want to remove the muffler and gussy it up on my 97. Since my flanges are all rusted I think I am in the same boat as you were.
Old 07-25-20, 06:10 AM
jaaa
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnAndic
What did you use exactly? Some high temp gasket maker? I want to remove the muffler and gussy it up on my 97. Since my flanges are all rusted I think I am in the same boat as you were.
Look at post 128 in this thread. I show a picture of what I used. Just be liberal with it when you replace the gaskets. I also ground down the flange surfaces when I did this, but I think the permatex is what solved the issue.
Old 07-27-20, 04:11 PM
JohnAndic
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Look at post 128 in this thread. I show a picture of what I used. Just be liberal with it when you replace the gaskets. I also ground down the flange surfaces when I did this, but I think the permatex is what solved the issue.
Thanks, I read the whole thread now. You put a good amount of miles on your car. I've put like 2000 maybe.... My muffler weld seems to still be holding so I shouldn't remove it right now. The hardware keeping my muffler on is rusted to all hell so getting it off and back on will be impossible.
Old 08-23-20, 06:06 PM
jaaa
Lead Lap

Bought new Michelins for my car and took it in for an alignment. Shop said they couldn't get the inner tie rod loose and I needed a new one. I had them pull it down from the rack and ordered a new one online. I installed it today, and sure enough- when I pulled the inner and outer together, I had to put it in a vice and then double wrench it off all the way to the end. I'm glad they were telling the truth, so I'll take it back to them tomorrow. Had to buy an inner tie rod install kit as I didn't have any of the bigger wrenches to fit the back end of it. Only thing that really went wrong was I mangled the castle nut on the tie rod joint. Going to have to find a new one.
The following users liked this post:
BNastee (08-24-20)
Old 08-23-20, 06:14 PM
spuds
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 176 Posts

Nice dealing with honest folks.
Old 11-04-20, 07:17 AM
jaaa
Lead Lap

Had to shorten the passenger side of the coolant hose I replaced last year with gates hoses. The driver's side I had already shortened by an inch of so. The passenger side was rubbing against the alternator belt and just starting to get into the outside protective outer housing. So, anyone getting gates coolant hoses, be careful on the passenger side too. I took off about a quarter of an inch.
Old 11-04-20, 10:14 AM
spuds
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 176 Posts

Had to shorten the passenger side of the coolant hose I replaced last year with gates hoses. The driver's side I had already shortened by an inch of so. The passenger side was rubbing against the alternator belt and just starting to get into the outside protective outer housing. So, anyone getting gates coolant hoses, be careful on the passenger side too. I took off about a quarter of an inch.
I did the same on my Dayco hoses,they had to be cut as too long but the curves were right.
Old 12-22-20, 12:37 PM
jaaa
Lead Lap

Started having a leak fromwhat I thought was the oil filter. I changed oil today and noticed the oil leak was actually coming from above the filter around a bolt that holds what I would call the oil filter housing. If I take that off is there a gasket there that could be causing this leak? It's a drip about every 15 seconds so strong enough I want to fix it. I changed out the valve cover gasket last year so I don't think it's from there, but it could be higher up than the housing I'm looking at.
Old 12-22-20, 03:05 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 313 Likes on 270 Posts

I had a leak once near the oil filter. It was from the oil pressure switch which I thought was from the filter. I can't remember if it's attached to the oil filter housing but it's close to it. But when that was leaking the red oil light came on on the dash for pressure. (mine is a '94) It was leaking more then a drop 15 seconds, there would be a lake under the car in the morning. I'll try to look it up later but don't have the time right now.
Old 12-23-20, 05:45 AM
jaaa
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by deanshark
I had a leak once near the oil filter. It was from the oil pressure switch which I thought was from the filter. I can't remember if it's attached to the oil filter housing but it's close to it. But when that was leaking the red oil light came on on the dash for pressure. (mine is a '94) It was leaking more then a drop 15 seconds, there would be a lake under the car in the morning. I'll try to look it up later but don't have the time right now.
That's okay Dean, you don't have to look. My switch is wet, but the drip is coming from above that on the bolt that holds the oil filter housing assembly. Thanks for responding though. I'm trying to see if anyone else has had a gasket leak there, or if I botched the valve cover gasket repair last year.