LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

LS400 98 vvti engine swap to 95

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-15, 05:24 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

if you're scrapping the newer car who cars. I would just drop the crossmember and rear trans mount and take the whole cradle out. Hell you could probably bolt the whole damn thing into the '95 just as easily. You'll want the driveshaft and rear end from the newer one too.

The engine and trans does not HAVE to come out the top.
Old 09-17-15, 06:27 AM
MASTERkame
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
if you're scrapping the newer car who cars. I would just drop the crossmember and rear trans mount and take the whole cradle out. Hell you could probably bolt the whole damn thing into the '95 just as easily. You'll want the driveshaft and rear end from the newer one too.

The engine and trans does not HAVE to come out the top.
already done that that was an idea to take all rear end at once without unbolting rusted bolts ) gonna add pictures this evening. Almost got ready all the stuff for engine to pull out. What is the other way for engine ? i could take front crossmember with engine on the forklift and use autocar to lift the whole car up a bit
Old 09-17-15, 08:37 AM
MASTERkame
Driver School Candidate

finally oil came looks like gonna need one liter extra to top up for 6 liters of oil while changing it . Belt kit should be tomorrow at least manager said so. As for today managed to take off whole rear end.

took all exhaust and propeller shaft assembly as well as whole exhaust, partially scraped interior.

and this is whats gonna be poured in the engine after belts and gaskets will be changed gonna look at some gasket/seals kits to buy coz there is partial oil on camshaft covers

Old 09-17-15, 09:30 AM
timmy0tool

Received 423 Likes on 377 Posts

wow this is a huge ordeal! please keep the pictures coming!
Old 09-17-15, 11:19 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Nice, I like the blocks under the car, I've done that in the past using a chain saw to make blocks.
So are you going to drop the engine just like you did the rear end? The fun part is getting the parts car out of the way with no wheels on it.
Old 09-17-15, 11:42 AM
MASTERkame
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dicer
Nice, I like the blocks under the car, I've done that in the past using a chain saw to make blocks.
So are you going to drop the engine just like you did the rear end? The fun part is getting the parts car out of the way with no wheels on it.
ive got Mitsubishi forklift rated for 3.5 tones on 1-1.5 meter in warehouse for that ill definitely grab some pictures of taking the engine out.
Old 09-17-15, 01:45 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Its nice your doing this, we all get to see if all these parts fit and work good in a 2nd Gen.
Old 09-17-15, 06:40 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

if you have a forklift then yeah, just lift the entire nose of the car out of the way(slowly) with the lower crossmember/engine/trans combo supported on dollies. Or on a lift.
Old 09-17-15, 06:45 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

I would think you could remove all the parts possible on the parts car, when your done with the other one of course and have time. Then start selling the parts and recover some money.
Old 09-17-15, 08:36 PM
MASTERkame
Driver School Candidate

The car it self was a steal for 900 dollars in US currency so i'm already recovering with the engine it self. My other engine in 95 was looking for timming belt/oil change already so why dont do that for 30 extra hp and some torque forgot exact number for cheap as 900, not counting the softness of 5 speed acceleration and city driving all other accesories should pay a bill for the car. Especialy the original HIDs if i decide to be original and stay with 95 look

If i make this work gonna look for 4.3 and 6 speed fabricating some mounts at local workshop. But thats just some ideas.
Old 09-28-15, 10:38 PM
MASTERkame
Driver School Candidate

Had hard week in work and no rest at home so working on car was stopped but now gonna continue tearing apart donor car further.

still trying to mark all the wiring for future swap.
also finally got timing belt kit witch consist of:
Mitsuboshi timing belt (first time heard)
Aisin water pump (As i remember is good one ?)
GMB idlers ( some Korean stuff)
NTN tensioner (first time heard aswell)

also had trip to other city so was able to look at scrap yards this what i found as well navi/heater block to swap front end to get EU look and work. Or at least my friend trying to to find out how big water damage is on the electrical board. But i'm quite sure that hes gonna make it work. As for the instrument cluster still on search but gonna get it at some point.

BTW engine is counting his last hours... need to pull it out that i could do belt job and take the starter out while repair stuff is coming into Lithuania....