LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Transmission groan/whine. Strainer clean.

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-15, 06:09 PM
Caseyjones
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went to town and gave it some hell through the gears and after about 30 miles checked again and it's at the top of the HOT mark. This dipstick fits the car perfectly so I'm 99% sure its correct, it matches pics for others. The PO was an elderly woman that had the service done at Toyota dealerships and I dont think the trans was ever touched aside from drain/fill but I cant even find that in the service Hx.

I wouldn't need a steth to hear it, it's pretty annoying during cold starts. I'm surprised it's not louder with a steth though. Its abnormally loud on start up and for the first few miles then it quiets down about about 90% when warm, I can still hear it when warm if I open the door and lean out. Even when cold though I can throw it into gear and it responds immediately and perfectly regardless of temperature. I feel like it would run for a while but I'm OCD as hell.

I want to fix it now while I'm only working 6-8 days a month, I have time. I'm looking to relocate to WY or MT and I may take on a demanding work schedule and I need to car to be 100% if/when this happens so really inclined to take care of it now.

The sucking air theory makes good sense to me but where else could it be sucking air from if not the filter? If the VB were loose I dont think it would run so well, would it?
Old 10-08-15, 09:57 PM
Yamae

Received 882 Likes on 666 Posts

I have tried to overfill the ATF.
What I have noticed was to fill several mm (1/5 inch) higher than the high end of hot marker is better than just the high end marker level when cold.

"Better" I mean here is quicker engagement to R when I leave home in the winter morning. Generally speaking, a overfill causes bubbles and this causes the increase of wears and the higher ATF temperature. I checked the bubbles removing the gauge after running about 30 minutes in a summer day. I also checked the temperature using an IR temp meter but I could not see any particular differences between the level of just and 1/5 inch higher.

I don't know an overfill a bit more is effective to your groan/whine noise but as long as I do experiments, a slight over fill is better for my 98 Celsior's AT unit. I also suggested to do the same with other Celsiors owned by friends of mine. They all say that it's a bit quicker to engage when cold. So I consider the AT unit prefers so.

Why don't you overfill 1/5 inch and see what happens?
Old 10-08-15, 11:17 PM
Caseyjones
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It engages very quickly when put in any gear, even when stone cold. It feels like a new transmission but sounds like an old Ford PS pump. I initially thought it might have the wrong fluid in it, living here in the middle of SD it would not be at all surprising if it had a belly full of Dextron III, but it works so well I did not assume that to be the case.

I had planned on doing another drain/fill to get some more of the old fluid out as suggested in other trans threads, I'll fill it as you suggest and give that a shot. So it should be 1/5" above the HOT full mark while hot idling in park or cold idling in park? I just want to make sure I get it right. I had thought of adding another half qt before draining it just to see what happens.

I know this is like beating a dead horse and I really appreciate you guys still helping. This is the only car I have suitable for transporting a client. I cant see stuffing a 90 yr old into my cramped, noisy, bouncy lifted Samurai

I'll get to it over the weekend and post the results. Thank you very much!
Old 10-09-15, 01:16 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

I agree with Yamae, and go with a little over fill. A good check for a dip stick is to check it when the pan is off and see where it is in relation to the parts in the transmission. The main thing is to keep the fluid out of the rotating members and what Yamae says and the amount will not hurt a thing, I would bet even a half inch 13mm probably would work okay. But best to do what Yamae says, he said he's tested it.
Old 10-09-15, 03:08 AM
Yamae

Received 882 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by Caseyjones
It engages very quickly when put in any gear, even when stone cold. It feels like a new transmission but sounds like an old Ford PS pump. I initially thought it might have the wrong fluid in it, living here in the middle of SD it would not be at all surprising if it had a belly full of Dextron III, but it works so well I did not assume that to be the case.

I had planned on doing another drain/fill to get some more of the old fluid out as suggested in other trans threads, I'll fill it as you suggest and give that a shot. So it should be 1/5" above the HOT full mark while hot idling in park or cold idling in park? I just want to make sure I get it right. I had thought of adding another half qt before draining it just to see what happens.

I know this is like beating a dead horse and I really appreciate you guys still helping. This is the only car I have suitable for transporting a client. I cant see stuffing a 90 yr old into my cramped, noisy, bouncy lifted Samurai

I'll get to it over the weekend and post the results. Thank you very much!
You are welcome.
The level should be checked while idling after fully warmed up at the position "P" after shifting all gears.

Hope your noise problem is improved after filling some more.
Old 04-16-19, 08:33 AM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 59 Posts

Did it sound like this

https://drive.google.com/file/d/13cY...crUwhhn6W/view