LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

First Time Buyer Tips

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-15, 09:03 AM
andrewmcm
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Time Buyer Tips

Hi,

I just joined to get some tips on buying an LS400. I found a 1993 LS400 for $2500 with 180,000 miles. Here in the link to the car: https://huntsville.craigslist.org/ctd/5229166572.html. As you can see, it isn't in bad shape. The things that I noticed when I drove the car are: the check engine light is on, the tilt function on the steering wheel doesn't work, and I also noticed that when I poke the accelerator the shifter moves slightly. There is also has a rhythmic hiss noise that is audible from the cabin when the car is idling. Other than that the car looks very nice. There was no power steering whine. What should I look for when I go drive the car again? I currently have a 1991 Miata with 135k miles and I'm reluctant to give up a perfectly fine, reliable car for what could possibly turn into a money pit. Opinions?

I really like the idea of milking the h*** out of an old LS400. Like nursing one to 300k miles.

Last edited by andrewmcm; 09-22-15 at 09:07 AM.
Old 09-22-15, 09:21 AM
AandSC
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Does it have any service records? When was the timing belt and water pump last replaced? It's probably due now since they are supposed to be replaced every 90K mikes.

If it has records for the timing belt being replaced then it's more of a good buy than if not. If you can do the timing belt replacement yourself it would be less than $400 for all of the maintenance that you would probably want to do. If not, your looking at ~$1000 for the service.

Check under the rear of the car for rust.

The fact the shifter moves probably means it's time for tranny and motor mounts. Tranny mount is cheap and easy. Motor mounts a little more work.

There is a fix for the tilt steering wheel that you can google and find.

There is an LS400 out there with over 900K miles so they are reliable.

Love mine and intend to have it for a long time.
Old 09-22-15, 11:40 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

And why give up the other car?
Just remember its an OLD car, looks okay the paint sure has scratching though, too bad they didn't detail it better. The problems you mention maybe the ones that appear now, you need to read through the forums about all the future problems that will crop up. If you can't do the work its going to be pricy to keep it going. And if its going to be your only car then be ready to need a rental car at some point. It really does depend on what has been done as far as maintenance to the car already. It maybe there forsale for a reason the other owner didn't want to spend the $ for something. Like mentioned above timing belt may need attention, then what about brakes, suspension which is a big thing that goes out on these cars, and then theres the problems you mention
check engine light on etc. how well was the transmission taken care of ? For a person that just kicks the tires and drives these cars can be very expensive. Yes they are good and can last but they still need attention and things go out and wrong just look on this site.
It is too high a price for the things that need fixing.
For a bit more you could find a newer version LS in better shape unless you like this style.
Old 09-22-15, 01:55 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 339 Likes on 292 Posts

Yeah I think that's too much also for the potential problems you might be inheriting.
Old 09-24-15, 08:18 AM
andrewmcm
Driver School Candidate

I don't plan on buying it at that price. KBB fair purchase price is $2,000, so I plan on starting there and trying to talk him down. If I can get it for $1,500 would that be a good deal? I have my Miata to drive. I could probably do the timing belt and water pump, etc. myself. I did the TB WP on my Miata myslef. I know the LS400 is 10x more complex than a 1991 Miata. Would that be a good deal?
Old 09-24-15, 09:35 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 242 Likes on 183 Posts

the ECU's on that first generation also don't seem to quite as durable as on later cars. if you have the money go for it, just remember you're essentially dealing with a $75,000 car so if things do go wrong they could be very pricey to fix. the later generation 400's are pretty much better in every way but the 1st gen is probably the one that'll go down as a classic. also don't get rid of the miata.
Old 09-24-15, 10:38 AM
andrewmcm
Driver School Candidate

This guy just contacted me ! http://nashville.craigslist.org/cto/5225159923.html

I feel like this one is a good deal. I'm trying to get him to meet me look at it. It looks very clean. I know a 1993+ is preferable, but at this mileage and this price I feel like it is a good buy.
Old 09-24-15, 11:50 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

Still seems a bit high... but that is exactly the pedigree of long term ownership car you're looking for...Might pay a little more, but you won't so much maintenance to catch up on. With all he's done, you might just need to add oil, gas and go. Looks like a nice vehicle that is well cared for... Good Luck.
Old 09-24-15, 11:59 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

The last one I'd go for. And if so please keep it that way stock.
Old 09-24-15, 12:40 PM
andrewmcm
Driver School Candidate

Don't worry. If I pull the trigger the only mod I'll do is tint to windows to protect the interior. It does say "OBO" so I'll so where he'll go on price. I'm going to see it Saturday and I'll update you guys.
Old 09-24-15, 12:52 PM
Nishy
Rookie

Originally Posted by dicer
The last one I'd go for. And if so please keep it that way stock.
If I bought my car and it was in all working order and it had the original wheels, I probably would have kept it stock honestly. But a lot didnt work and it has some no name 15s on there so I said screw it. Its rare to see a stock one.
Old 09-25-15, 06:15 AM
AandSC
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If I were in the market I would buy that second car in a minute. If everything works and he has receipts for the timing belt replacement I wouldn't hesitate to pay his asking price.
Old 09-25-15, 03:12 PM
UNCNOR
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Nishy
If I bought my car and it was in all working order and it had the original wheels, I probably would have kept it stock honestly. But a lot didnt work and it has some no name 15s on there so I said screw it. Its rare to see a stock one.
Lots of stock LS400's in central Florida.Mine are stock and will stay that way.
Old 09-27-15, 12:13 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Tint is a joke too. If you need to protect the interior use a garage, car port, or use one of the UV cleaner conditioners mentioned in the detailing forums. The outside paint is more important to protect.
Old 09-27-15, 04:51 PM
RA051823
Intermediate

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

$3200 for a 92'? Ouch! I would wait for a better deal to come along. The people asking top dollar for their cars seem to still have them month after month. I would wait it out until his price comes down unless you need it now!

Quick Reply: First Time Buyer Tips