LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Cluster Change 90 to 93-94

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-15 | 01:52 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

There are a lot of totaled and welded together junk that is sent to some of those countries too. There is a place across the street where I work, I think its some Russian guys that are buying junk late model cars and rebuilding them for that purpose, one told me that they ship them over seas. They could not sell them here, some are really bad. They just cut the bad part out and put a good piece there weld it up.
Old 10-06-15 | 02:16 AM
MASTERkame
Driver School Candidate

u would be surprised how much of these frankensteins we got here imported from USA with totaled tags and so on.... there was so much deaths coz of welded cars lose their rigidity and splits apart even at 40 mph accidents...
Old 10-06-15 | 02:57 AM
Najeeh
Rookie

Could the speedometer sensor be faulty and cause this. I'm not getting any transmission codes but the engine is giving 13 and 56 while the trac is giving 47 and 51.

What could be faulty in the cluster? My father is an EE and I'am still studying. We'll repair it ourselves.

Sending it out to be rebuilt will be too expensive for us. We could order a used cluster along with other parts for this with the amount we would spend for a rebuilt
Old 10-06-15 | 04:12 AM
Yamae

Observe the different outputs of the regulator circuits on the board using a good oscilloscope. You will be finding something unusual at DC lines there. The observer needs some basic knowledge of an EE since he or she needs to distinguish what are regulators there. This technique is also effective for old failed electronics units that need pure DC energy. It would be also useful to use a spectrum analyser.
Old 10-06-15 | 06:35 AM
Najeeh
Rookie

So its definitely the cluster pcb. It cannot be related to the speedometer sensor at the back of the transmission or the ECU?
Old 10-06-15 | 07:30 AM
Yamae

Originally Posted by Najeeh
So its definitely the cluster pcb. It cannot be related to the speedometer sensor at the back of the transmission or the ECU?
If so, the AT shift becomes very slow. Why don't check the pulses from the speed sensor to confirm?
A real good EE guy would do that before asking others. I must find you that you are the guy who only worry about and don't act quickly. A good engineer thinks things deeply and do experiments or measurements quickly.
Old 10-06-15 | 08:07 AM
Najeeh
Rookie

Well I'am the sort of guy who thinks things deeply. Ive been busy fixing other things of the car and I'm basically not using the car right now. I'am using my cressida at the moment. I only get time during the weekends to work on the car. The rest of the week I do my research and write down a list of things to check and fix. That is what I'm doing right now. I'm trying to collect as much data for troubleshooting as possible. I'll check the speedometer sensor signals to and from the ECU, take out the cluster and fix it if it needs to be fixed. As I'am still studying, I help my father out, as he checks everything, as to what might be the possible causes.

As for the transmission, it shifts at its normal pace and does it very smoothly. The only problem with it is that it jerks and jumps going from neutral to drive and jerks when going to neutral back again. I've already adjusted the throttle cable and will be changing the fluid this weekend.

Last edited by Najeeh; 10-06-15 at 08:16 AM.
Old 10-06-15 | 08:34 AM
Yamae

Then who is responsible for the car to fix? You or your father? I don't quite get it.
I don't trust those who always try to explain the reason why slow.
Old 10-06-15 | 09:01 AM
Najeeh
Rookie

Me and my dad both work on the car together. He does the electrical testing and related complicated stuff that I'am not comfortable doing right now. I work on the mechanical stuff and small electrics (like changing the fuses, relays, bulbs etc).
Old 12-25-15 | 02:51 AM
waseem3000
Rookie
CL Folding 1M

Originally Posted by cgawelko
Isnt pakistan part of the UAE? One of the wealthiest regions there is? We had a badass LS400 sell in the group and get shipped over there. No expenses spared.
Pakistan is not a part of UAE.

UAE is a separate country and so is Pakistan.

I am from Pakistan and reside in UAE.

Pakistan drives on the right and in the UAE it is on the left.

Just wanted to clarify that these are two separate nations.

And yes there are so many people here who are wealthy and can afford expensive cars but hardly a few people fall in this category. But people also buy for their interest and enjoy these vehicles but as per the law here, modified vehicles are not allowed and are often confiscated by Police for breaking the law, so not everyone can do this.

Yes there are so many Lexus LS in UAE and they also import tons of JDM LS which they cut down for parts and are sold for super cheap here but for Pakistan the import restrictions do not allow these cars to be exported from here and sourcing parts would also not be easy since the model is old already. You should see how these wrecking yards treat the LS400, LS430 as they cut them up for parts and slice the bodies in half with no mercy.

Last edited by waseem3000; 12-25-15 at 02:54 AM.
Old 12-25-15 | 03:40 AM
Najeeh
Rookie

The problem here is that even if you do get the car split up and shipped here, the customs just hold it until you pay what they feel like you should pay.