LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Looked for exhaust leaks, now car pulsates

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-15, 10:25 AM
DK Audio
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think that hose was broken through, ran the car while moving and covering it, no change.

The starter was replaced earlier this year, probably 7 months ago or so by a trusted local shop.

I have no knowledge of a VSV, sorry can't answer that but that throws codes PO441 PO446 which I'm not getting.

Tried the propane thing using a plumbers torch putting it all around the throttle body and left and right sides of intake, no change in RPM. I do hear a hissing sound around the throttle body but it could be normal and just my ears looking for something at this point.

I made a new gasket for the metal plate that covers the tiny holes on the throttle body, no change.

Last edited by DK Audio; 10-10-15 at 10:53 AM.
Old 10-10-15, 06:42 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

I was having these same codes/problems and searched for a leak which I never found. It ended up being a bad drivers side OCV like RA40 mentioned.
Old 10-10-15, 09:45 PM
Gdwrench35
Driver

If thats the case, then you should be able to plug off the vacuum hose to the osv and the car should run normally as I mentioned before.
Old 10-10-15, 10:08 PM
DK Audio
Pole Position

I appreciate the help guys. I just dropped the money and ordered both sides OCV, hope this fixes it, not the cheapest parts.
I got...
15330-0F010
15340-0F010
Old 10-11-15, 06:55 AM
Gdwrench35
Driver

Why would you order parts when your not even sure of whats wrong? Never understood the 'pay and pray' method of automotive repair. Do definitive diagnostic so you KNOW what you replace will fix the problem.
Old 10-11-15, 08:10 AM
DK Audio
Pole Position

I know, I don't like to but it is getting cold out and I need my car for work, I need to try something. Plus two people in this thread said OCV plus that link to the other thread had the same symptoms as me too. I was doing some troubleshooting, read codes, checked for vacuum leaks, made a gasket on one part, etc.
Old 10-11-15, 11:33 AM
Gdwrench35
Driver

You probably are right, I just like proving the part out. The customers get mad at me if I'm wrong .
Old 10-11-15, 12:15 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Gdwrench35
Why would you order parts when your not even sure of whats wrong? Never understood the 'pay and pray' method of automotive repair. Do definitive diagnostic so you KNOW what you replace will fix the problem.
Agree, and sometimes it would be cheaper to have someone with a good scan tool that can test bi directional check it out first, then you know if that part is working or not. And of course that is only for 96 or maybe 95 and up. OBD1 won't do that as far as I know.
Old 10-11-15, 04:26 PM
Gdwrench35
Driver

Most if not all bi-directional stuff can be done manually as well if you are creative with a 12v power supply. I use a PowerProbe brand tool. All you need are 12v pos and neg on the solenoid to make it click on and off. It should also show some kind of resistance cold. You could check both and compare. You could try and blow through the valve while you click it on and off to see if flow occurs or not. I could go on and on.
Old 10-11-15, 05:06 PM
Yamae

Received 884 Likes on 666 Posts

The OCV tends to cause sticky problems when the sludge builds up as is shown below link. Sorry that it is all written in Japanese but see just photos.
http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/itakame3/63947458.html

The OCV alone can be checked at the bench applying the DC12V as is explained by Gdwrench35.
Old 10-11-15, 07:35 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Does it have a small screen in it? I know on some makes of cars they do, and it gets plugged up or breached and then junk gets in places it isn't supposed to.
Old 10-11-15, 08:39 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

There is a screen but it's not on the OCV. I was getting all the misfire codes before I even got the code for the OCV. I cleaned my MAF and it helped, then I pulled all the plugs on bank 1 to check if any were fouled which they were not so I cleaned and put them back. I finally cleaned the OCV and it worked for a little but came back. Finally I bit the bullet and bought a new OCV and problem solved. I reiterate that the OCV code was present at the end so it was obvious at that point but it can start causing problems before the code is present.
Old 10-12-15, 08:44 AM
djamps
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Yamae
How long were you able to run the engine?
The ECU is designed to stop the fuel supply opening the circuit opening relay when no signal from the MAF for more than 3 seconds is detected.
The engine can start but it is supposed to stop after the fuel pressure becomes to low to inject.

Other than the MAF, the ECU forces to stop the voltage supply to the fuel pump at one of following conditions is detected.
No signal from the crank position sensor for more than 5 seconds.
No signal from the cam position sensor for more than 5 seconds.
No IGF signal from the igniter for more than 3 seconds although the IGT signal is sent.
First startup with no MAF will stall out after 1-2 seconds. Restart it again and it stays running with CEL lit. It seems like after the initial stall, the ECM went open loop - strong fuel smell.

I moved it around my driveway and left it running for a few minutes while I bled the power steering (all intake piping removed for swapping pump).

I doubt it was running on residual fuel in the line, without power to the fuel pump, pressure would be too low to run at all.

Never took it out on the road with no MAF though - I value my catalyst .

Last edited by djamps; 10-12-15 at 08:49 AM.
Old 10-12-15, 05:23 PM
Gdwrench35
Driver

The ECU is designed to stop the fuel supply opening the circuit opening relay when no signal from the MAF for more than 3 seconds is detected.
The engine can start but it is supposed to stop after the fuel pressure becomes to low to inject.
The above information is incorrect. That only happens on the first start cycle that it sees no MAF signal. Any start ups after that are done in open loop using a pre set fuel mixture which is usually on the rich side so that it will not damage the engine (by running too lean). I don't recommend doing this for the reason Djamps mentioned. While running rich is safe for the engine itself, its not very friendly on your catalytic converters.
Old 10-15-15, 07:11 PM
DK Audio
Pole Position

Guess I gotta give props to Gdwrench, now I'm extremely frustrated and out $240 at this point.

Finally got both OCVs today and put them in. I had the negative disconnected as I worked. I started the car and it ran rough, RPM's going from around 150 then up to 1500. I tried driving the car and my pedal wasn't responding. the CEL and check VSC / OFF came on. I shut the car off, erased codes and restarted it. I drove for a few miles and no lights came on but I still felt the car shaking when at a stop, it was smooth otherwise. Does the ECM need to learn everything again? A few miles should be enough for that I would think. I will take it to work tomorrow and see what happens, my guess is my CEL will come back on. I also noticed The OCV's looked a little different, perhaps there was a slight revision from 1998 until now.
Attached Thumbnails Looked for exhaust leaks, now car pulsates-20151015_183215.jpg   Looked for exhaust leaks, now car pulsates-20151015_183204.jpg   Looked for exhaust leaks, now car pulsates-20151015_184747.jpg  

Quick Reply: Looked for exhaust leaks, now car pulsates