LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

ECU interchange ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-15, 12:17 PM
700bones
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dicer
I suppose the connectors would be a good indication of whether the ecu would work in said car or not. If Lexus was going to not have newer ones downward compatible then why not make it idiot proof and use different connectors. So are the connectors different from a Trac ecu versus a non trac ecu?
No, IIRC trac wasn't the issue. See, this is an issue for the LS400 (and 1uzfe engined vehicle) community --- I was trying to find out the connector of unknown type because that is what my vehicle runs. I wanted to make an intercepting harness to help me analyze signals IN CIRCUIT. But, the subject rubbed some feathers the wrong way here it seemed. It's kinda funny, because witholding information didn't slow me down one bit. I just got so pissed off I put the connector on my surface plate, took measurements, drafted a model of it, and programmed it into my CAD/CAM sofware. Now I can make as many of those mystery connectors as I want! LMFAO!!

The SC400 ECU connectors are of a type very similar to the 2JZ ecu connectors (supra and sc300). I have no idea what those are either. I'd do the same thing and just RE them but I don't have an SC400 and its not an urgent matter.
Old 10-22-15, 12:22 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

You made a breakout box of sorts then? I was just wondering if a connector would be different from a trac box to a non trac box. I know yours is from a certain year car. So are you 3D printing them? You ought sell them to others looking to do what you wanted to do. So did you make the male and female?
Old 10-22-15, 01:36 PM
700bones
Rookie

You made a breakout box of sorts then? I was just wondering if a connector would be different from a trac box to a non trac box. I know yours is from a certain year car. So are you 3D printing them? You ought sell them to others looking to do what you wanted to do. So did you make the male and female?
The one that I know of is AMP Multilock 40/70 of a specific part I don't recall offhand but it's common on other ECUs, especially Hondas.

The mystery connector, well I have no idea.

I'm leary of selling anything in a manner you suggest because such designs could have IP issues, I'm not in that business. I just RE'd to support my own equipment, which is perfectly legal for me to do (just like working on your own car, reflow soldering crappy ICs on an XBOX, etc etc etc)

You don't need fancy equipment to dupilicate broken or unavailable parts to support your expensive equipment. Sculpey clay and a cheap pantograph are all you need really. DIY,KISS
Old 10-23-15, 04:16 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

I need to know what is different between these 2 ECU's.

89661-50020 and 89661-50042 and don't mention dates, I mean electrically or what ever with in the boxes.
They both have the same number for the ABS Ecu. So is there anything other than date that makes them different?
Old 10-24-15, 04:00 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 700bones
The one that I know of is AMP Multilock 40/70 of a specific part I don't recall offhand but it's common on other ECUs, especially Hondas.

The mystery connector, well I have no idea.

I'm leary of selling anything in a manner you suggest because such designs could have IP issues, I'm not in that business. I just RE'd to support my own equipment, which is perfectly legal for me to do (just like working on your own car, reflow soldering crappy ICs on an XBOX, etc etc etc)

You don't need fancy equipment to dupilicate broken or unavailable parts to support your expensive equipment. Sculpey clay and a cheap pantograph are all you need really. DIY,KISS
You could always just release your reinterpretation to one of the many 3d printing repositories (thingverse, yeggi, etc...) under a free-for-noncommercial-use license.
Old 10-24-15, 06:46 AM
700bones
Rookie

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
You could always just release your reinterpretation to one of the many 3d printing repositories (thingverse, yeggi, etc...) under a free-for-noncommercial-use license.

I could, but just claiming "not for commercial use" doesn't really legally cover you these days.
The following users liked this post:
fixit101 (07-25-17)
Old 10-24-15, 07:21 AM
Yamae

Received 893 Likes on 674 Posts

I need to know what is different between these 2 ECU's.

89661-50020 and 89661-50042 and don't mention dates, I mean electrically or what ever with in the boxes.
They both have the same number for the ABS Ecu. So is there anything other than date that makes them different?
Who could on earth answer your question?

I'd simply fix the original ECU if the original were failed. That's much quicker and easier than to do the analysis of those 2 all by myself. Those who aren't comfortable to fix can purchase a correct and working used one. There's no immobiliser system installed in early models and it's an easy job.

Or just try using the different year one at your own risk like I have tried for a 95 and a 96 after comparing all the pin-outs and parts except the software but it was quite time consuming efforts to complete though.
Old 10-24-15, 12:23 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Pin outs are the same, cars and all stuff electrical is the same, engines and sensors the same, I might try it just to see. I will fix the original, unless of course its an IC or something like that. Its just nice to know if the newer ECU would work. I think it will, and there is probably a program change that is the difference. There could also be circuit updates.
Old 10-30-15, 04:45 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

I tried it. The 50042 unit would not let the 1990 start, and yeah I don't know if it is a good unit or not.
The way the engine sounded was it was advanced too far, as it did a bad kick back when the 2 attempts were tried. I had checked visually both the unit out of the car and this new to me one I tried for leaky caps, both look just fine, and I know it doesn't mean much but !
Anyway it started right up with the original ecu and after a 12 minute warm up I died once, started up and ran and idled okay, after shutting down did a code check and got 31 airmeter. I wonder what goofed it up?

The internals of both looked the same.

Last edited by dicer; 10-30-15 at 05:14 PM. Reason: More stuff to add
Old 10-31-15, 05:29 PM
Yamae

Don't be discouraged, dicer. He who makes no mistakes makes nothing. Failure teaches success. May be you should have tried a known good one. But still it had a risk.

I respect those who open a door to the new world. In the past, some have succeeded but many have failed due to the lack of preparations or some unexpected accidents.

A little knowledge or lack of information is a dangerous thing. I myself have failed many many times but there were some big success. Those losses were all compensated though. I even got some extra fringe benefits from those. Most of my patents were all resulted from repetitions of failures.
The following users liked this post:
silvercity (08-17-17)
Old 11-02-15, 06:22 PM
qha_vn
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Yamae
Don't be discouraged, dicer. He who makes no mistakes makes nothing. Failure teaches success. May be you should have tried a known good one. But still it had a risk.

I respect those who open a door to the new world. In the past, some have succeeded but many have failed due to the lack of preparations or some unexpected accidents.

A little knowledge or lack of information is a dangerous thing. I myself have failed many many times but there were some big success. Those losses were all compensated though. I even got some extra fringe benefits from those. Most of my patents were all resulted from repetitions of failures.
LIKE it Yamae
Old 11-26-15, 05:37 PM
lexman52
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default halt

Originally Posted by Yamae
There always were minor changes. Regarding the compatibility between different year models, Toyota/Lexus would clearly say, No. They'd say, "Use the same one except the one explained in the TIB".

Those who use a different ECU may kill their car in the worst scenario. But sometimes it shows a good result like to use a 96 ECU to a 95 model. It often improves the engine halt problem after the long high speed run.
What is the engine halt problem
Old 11-26-15, 07:34 PM
Yamae

Originally Posted by lexman52
What is the engine halt problem
This is it.
http://repairpal.com/engine-stalling-442
Old 11-29-15, 05:31 PM
CELSI0R
Racer

Received 295 Likes on 232 Posts

So how come some 92's fit 93's?
Thanks for this topic, the part numbers are great for reference!

However, just to mention, I would personally avoid swapping a 1993 ECU for a 1992 ECU, and would only interchange 1990-1992 ECUs with each other or 1993-1994 ECUs with each other.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if a 1993 ECU were to be replaced by a 1992 ECU, wouldn't new features, such as the passenger side airbag, become disabled, despite the same connectors?
Old 11-29-15, 06:31 PM
Yamae

Originally Posted by CELSI0R
Thanks for this topic, the part numbers are great for reference!

However, just to mention, I would personally avoid swapping a 1993 ECU for a 1992 ECU, and would only interchange 1990-1992 ECUs with each other or 1993-1994 ECUs with each other.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if a 1993 ECU were to be replaced by a 1992 ECU, wouldn't new features, such as the passenger side airbag, become disabled, despite the same connectors?
I don't think it can be replaced.
You will see why not reading my earlier post. There are many other design changes that affect engine managements.

Quick Reply: ECU interchange ?