LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Lights Out

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-15 | 10:38 AM
timmy0tool

Originally Posted by PlotPoint
I would like to know more about how a tail lamp going out can cause problems with the headlights. Thought they were not related. Since my last post, I took the car in to get the headlamp replaced and they found that the socket was slightly burrned out. He put it back together and the headlight came on. A short time later we noticed an electrical burning smell. So he detached the socket and it was by that time completely fried. Is there a simple way to test the wires that lead to the socket? I can either put on a new socket and see if it burns out again, in which case I will know I have a short somewhere (and will have wasted the cost of that OEM part), or I can test before putting on a new socket. If the shop has to track down an electrical issue, that can get expensive very quickly. Any suggestions for what I can try myself would be great.
the lighting system is a ground switching system, and any shorts (as with any electrical system) will cause issues. the shorting in the trunk harness will cause other intermittent failures, such as headlamp failure. just eliminate that possibility by simply checking the harness for breaks.
Old 12-07-15 | 08:27 AM
PlotPoint
Driver

Originally Posted by RA40
9003 type bulb. The "tuner" bulbs have higher wattage specs and those are to be avoided. Walmart usually has the standard or long life bulbs available.

http://www.philipsautolighting.com/ajax_select.php
And the 9003 type bulb will work in a '94 LS400? Just confirming. Thank you.
Old 12-10-15 | 06:31 AM
fixmiester
Intermediate

Default It is the socket

Originally Posted by PlotPoint
And the 9003 type bulb will work in a '94 LS400? Just confirming. Thank you.
What Yamae said; increased resistance across any socket/plug contacts will produce heat, to the point of self-destruction. If the dealer replaced the socket, they did something wrong.
Old 12-18-15 | 12:16 AM
PlotPoint
Driver

Thought I would update everyone. Took it to another shop that figured out the issue fairly quickly. It had nothing to do with the type of headlamp bulb. The problem was an area of the wire harness that had rusted out and was shorting out. I asked where exactly and they said in an area near the back of the harness that connects to another (larger?) harness. Not sure if that makes sense. This is the harness in the front, not the harness in the trunk (which we also talked about in this thread). The tail lights are on and working as well. Relief.
Old 12-20-15 | 11:06 AM
badua808
Driver School Candidate

Use a digital volt meter and start off by taking the bulb out, and isolating the circuit. Test your ground wire to the light bulb and post your results. It sounds like you possibly have high resistance in the circuit.

The tailight, I would check like previously stated. The trunk wires. They will break over time. You can remove the bulb, put a DVM to the harness side that plugs into the bulb and check your readings in 12v dc and swing the trunk up and down to see if you possibly have a break in the wire. The light sockets are easy to inspect and check . Just pull them out and see if they look burnt, The terminals on the socket itself make contact with the bulb, and also with the tail light. Make sure the small metal tabs around the edges of the light socket are slightly bent upward where they will make a nice tight fit in the socket hole. If any of them look burnt or suspect, I would simply start by swapping the sockets from side to side and see if the symptom follows to the other side of the car, it can easily eliminate any possible problems you might be suspecting in the wiring circuit itself.
Old 12-20-15 | 01:42 PM
PlotPoint
Driver

Originally Posted by badua808
Use a digital volt meter and start off by taking the bulb out, and isolating the circuit. Test your ground wire to the light bulb and post your results. It sounds like you possibly have high resistance in the circuit.

The tailight, I would check like previously stated. The trunk wires. They will break over time. You can remove the bulb, put a DVM to the harness side that plugs into the bulb and check your readings in 12v dc and swing the trunk up and down to see if you possibly have a break in the wire. The light sockets are easy to inspect and check . Just pull them out and see if they look burnt, The terminals on the socket itself make contact with the bulb, and also with the tail light. Make sure the small metal tabs around the edges of the light socket are slightly bent upward where they will make a nice tight fit in the socket hole. If any of them look burnt or suspect, I would simply start by swapping the sockets from side to side and see if the symptom follows to the other side of the car, it can easily eliminate any possible problems you might be suspecting in the wiring circuit itself.
Excellent instructions, thanks. All lights are working now after the rusted wire harness was replaced. If the tail lamp goes out again, then this info will be put to good use.