LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

for anyone wondering what the muffler delete sounds like

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-15, 11:02 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
As an aside, I cannot believe you drove 110MPH on a surface road with traffic lights. Thats crazy stupid.
ehh... maybe... i'd say more to convince you it wasn't so bad in this case but nobody ever changes their mind so forget it

and you're just assuming i'm driving
Old 11-19-15, 03:59 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,703 Likes on 1,937 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
ehh... maybe... i'd say more to convince you it wasn't so bad in this case but nobody ever changes their mind so forget it

and you're just assuming i'm driving
Not maybe...it is crazy stupid. When you mature a little you'll understand that.

Somebody can pop out of one of those intersections at any moment and the both of you would be dead.

You have no business being licensed to drive a car if you take part in stuff like that. Public roads are there for everyone to use safely.
Old 11-19-15, 05:10 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Not maybe...it is crazy stupid. When you mature a little you'll understand that.

Somebody can pop out of one of those intersections at any moment and the both of you would be dead.

You have no business being licensed to drive a car if you take part in stuff like that. Public roads are there for everyone to use safely.
trust me nobody was popping out of that empty dead end street at 3 am on a wednesday. even if someone were approaching, "the driver" would have been notified by 1 of his 2 spotters with whom he was in constant radio contact with.

i know i'm not winning this battle so no point continuing and clogging up threads with needless back and forths. just know this doing this sort of thing is a rare occurrence, and i'm really pretty far from being a "menace"
Old 11-19-15, 05:38 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

If you want to race...go to a race track. They exist for that reason. Rare or not, it only takes one time for a tragic accident to happen.
Old 11-19-15, 08:56 PM
brybo86
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you want to race...go to a race track. They exist for that reason. Rare or not, it only takes one time for a tragic accident to happen.
SW15S has never exceeded the speed limit ... EVER

Let him who has not sinned cast the first stone...
Old 11-19-15, 08:59 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

There's a difference between exceeding the speed limit and this. I have never driven a vehicle at 115 MPH on a surface street with intersections and traffic lights no.
Old 11-19-15, 09:30 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

Let's return this back to the muffler delete and not about the moral or legal implications of driving on public roads. Ok?
Old 11-20-15, 05:19 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

There's a difference between exceeding the speed limit and this. I have never driven a vehicle at 115 MPH on a surface street with intersections and traffic lights no.
definitely don't watch my videos of the E63 then
Old 11-23-15, 10:29 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Stroock, aside from the safety concerns... is this just the rear muffler delete? Since my original posting on it I have used it many times mostly when going to the drag strip to save weight and it NEVER sounds anywhere close to this loud. Once I pulled off the 2nd Y section from the middle resonator and it sounded like an open header Corvette. That said and to anyone wondering the in car sound is surprisingly quiet with only dropping the back 2 mufflers. It only takes about 10 minutes to remove them and then simply and easily re-install them. Simple to try for yourself. I have recommended to others if they like it to have a muffler shop bend simple 2.0" extensions to the rear bumper and if they like that they can add whatever chrome tips. This is by far the simplest, cheapest and lightest option vs. changing rear mufflers to add "sound" which is why I originally suggested this option. Really guys, if you want to know how it sounds simply try it. It is FREE.
Old 11-23-15, 10:31 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

By the way, I really like those LS430 wheels on your car.
Old 11-23-15, 11:14 AM
timmy0tool

Received 421 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by JBrady
Stroock, aside from the safety concerns... is this just the rear muffler delete? Since my original posting on it I have used it many times mostly when going to the drag strip to save weight and it NEVER sounds anywhere close to this loud. Once I pulled off the 2nd Y section from the middle resonator and it sounded like an open header Corvette. That said and to anyone wondering the in car sound is surprisingly quiet with only dropping the back 2 mufflers. It only takes about 10 minutes to remove them and then simply and easily re-install them. Simple to try for yourself. I have recommended to others if they like it to have a muffler shop bend simple 2.0" extensions to the rear bumper and if they like that they can add whatever chrome tips. This is by far the simplest, cheapest and lightest option vs. changing rear mufflers to add "sound" which is why I originally suggested this option. Really guys, if you want to know how it sounds simply try it. It is FREE.
whoa mr jbrady is here! i will def try this out as i already have the rear mufflers removed and think it's still too quiet. if i like the sound i'll add the piping extensions to the rear bumper. thanks for giving an example of what it can sound like. open header corvette eh...
Old 11-23-15, 12:58 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
whoa mr jbrady is here! i will def try this out as i already have the rear mufflers removed and think it's still too quiet. if i like the sound i'll add the piping extensions to the rear bumper. thanks for giving an example of what it can sound like. open header corvette eh...
Timmy, yes, that is why I asked Stroock which mufflers he has deleted. Just the back ones make a noticeable but relatively minor noise increase. Removing those plus the center mufflers makes a HUGE increase in sound. One choice I haven't tried is to remove the middle and re-install the back mufflers.

Several things should be considered here. Removing mufflers and having the exhaust exit between the bottom of the car and the road causes the bottom of the car to act like a sound board and make the inside sound much louder. When I tried it the "Corvette" sound was my impression of the sound idling in the garage. On the road it was wicked loud and SLOWER.

If you deleted both the middle and rear mufflers and then ran 2.0" pipes to the back the sound would go down but to what degree I can only guess... never done that myself. YEARS ago I did this on a 5.7 liter V8, long tube headers, 18" straight through glasspack mufflers bolted to the header collectors and exiting between the road and the bottom of the car and it was LOUD. I had a muffler shop bend two 45 degree bends moving the outlets to side exits in front of the rear tires and it was MUCH better. This would be something cheap to try, remove the middle mufflers and have a shop make turnout side exits in front of the rear tires for testing. Some may like it. It would be aggressive and fairly to very loud.

For the record the image below is of the stock exhaust after the catalysts.
The sections include the front Y pipe and center resonator assembly, the rear Y pipe and middle mufflers assembly, the two rear mufflers and pipes.
Attached Thumbnails for anyone wondering what the muffler delete sounds like-1998-stock-exhaust-complete.png  
Old 11-23-15, 01:23 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JBrady
whoa look who it is, i'm so honored... yes this is only the 2 rear mufflers and your wondrous intake design. i bought the first spare airbox off ebay i could find (which still wasn't that easy) and cut that one instead of my original one. i also have the extensions made in place of the mufflers and i've noticed that seemed to affect sound somewhat.

and yea it's still pretty quiet inside. slight drone at like 55-65 and then you cant even really hear it above 70. above 3000 rpm the intake noise starts to overpower the exhaust and it's all you really hear, and it sounds awesome. then at like 5000 rpm you can hear the ACIS shortening the intake path, which to me sorta sounds a bit like vtec activating lol... there's like a sharp rise in pitch that you can hear. that intake design... great mod damn you now i want to take my remaining set of mufflers off and hear how it sounds lol

and thanks, i'm glad you like the wheels. honestly the car was really asking for it by having that redesigned more sporty front end but the wheels from a 1989 cadillac. luckily the LS looked mostly the same till the 460 so i think they work stylistically and look pretty stock.
Old 05-01-16, 03:42 PM
Tuna713
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just did a muffler delete on my GS 460

Muffler delete GS 460