LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Transmission fluid

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-15, 08:21 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 243 Likes on 184 Posts

using type t-iv gives me that warm feeling inside, although i've heard (on here from puredrifter i think) that type iv is just rebranded fluid that conforms to the JWS-3309 standard and that this for instance is literally the same thing

https://mobiloil.com/en/automatic-tr...fluid/3309-atf

it even says its a replacement for type iv but imma still get type iv
Old 11-16-15, 06:24 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

i use type 4 also..i get it right from the dealer.
but if u or anyone uses redline d4 or maxlife ur fine..trust me they would not put it on their bottles if it didnt have the correct additives in it.
http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=51&pcid=9
http://www.redlineoil.com/application.aspx
Old 11-16-15, 07:04 AM
mappo
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jaaa
How long have you been using it? First thing I did was replace my trany fluid with MaxLife. The old fluid smelled bad and who knows how long it had been in there.
Since I got the car, not quite two years ago.
Old 11-16-15, 09:55 AM
jaaa
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by mappo
Since I got the car, not quite two years ago.
I've found it interesting how obsessed people can be about "only" using OEM transmission oil. I have a Hyundai Santa Fe that I switched to Castrol multi-import about 5 years and 80,000 miles ago. I was warned by numerous people on it's board that my transmission would soon die. Well, its worked great and have noticed nothing but great shifting since the day I did it. My guess is that these manufacturers can make quite a bit of money by having in house brands and overpricing them. If you scare enough people into using only their brands, you stand to make a hefty profit. Just my guess.
Old 11-16-15, 11:12 AM
Finn
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Over here Valvoline Maxlife ATF and Mobil 3309 cost practically the same. I have used Mobil 3309 and everything works nicely - come to think of it, it's about the time to change the 2+ litres.
Old 11-16-15, 11:50 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

I have been reading on a Mercedes site about this. There is a fellow that has worked in the oil industry and at Mercedes that helped spec Automatic Transmission fluid, he gives a great description why there is not a one size fits all fluid. And that there is a problem if you feel a smoother shift with a change to a non approved fluid.
Personally I hope I don't buy a car or used transmission that had the wrong fluid in it. The fluid is a part just like the friction material is and they work together. And they both work together with the transmission control module. If there are smoother shifts the clutches are wearing and heating up more.
And a reason why some rebuilt automatic transmissions don't last long is because most rebuilders do not use OEM parts, and then of course non OEM fluid but still have an OEM calibrated valve body and an OEM controller. Nothing works in harmony. Max life can not be formulated for a GM car and still work in a Lexus or Mercedes unless Dexron is spec'ed for them all. The friction modifiers are added to comply with Dexron, not with type
IV or 134 for Mercedes. There are no FDA rules saying the label on trans fluid has to be accurate.(I know)
They just like a dealer would with an engine or trans failure, will weasel out of any claims that their product caused a problem.

Last edited by dicer; 11-16-15 at 12:02 PM.
Old 11-16-15, 12:19 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 243 Likes on 184 Posts

dicer can you post the link to that website? i'm curious myself, and i'd like to be armed with more information in case someone tries to insist on using their one size fits all fluid
Old 11-16-15, 01:37 PM
jaaa
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by dicer
I have been reading on a Mercedes site about this. There is a fellow that has worked in the oil industry and at Mercedes that helped spec Automatic Transmission fluid, he gives a great description why there is not a one size fits all fluid. And that there is a problem if you feel a smoother shift with a change to a non approved fluid.
Personally I hope I don't buy a car or used transmission that had the wrong fluid in it. The fluid is a part just like the friction material is and they work together. And they both work together with the transmission control module. If there are smoother shifts the clutches are wearing and heating up more.
And a reason why some rebuilt automatic transmissions don't last long is because most rebuilders do not use OEM parts, and then of course non OEM fluid but still have an OEM calibrated valve body and an OEM controller. Nothing works in harmony. Max life can not be formulated for a GM car and still work in a Lexus or Mercedes unless Dexron is spec'ed for them all. The friction modifiers are added to comply with Dexron, not with type
IV or 134 for Mercedes. There are no FDA rules saying the label on trans fluid has to be accurate.(I know)
They just like a dealer would with an engine or trans failure, will weasel out of any claims that their product caused a problem.
I read a study where only 24% of people actually go back to their dealership for service. With those odds, I'd say it's very likely that any fluid change done by a quickie lube places would be using a one size fits all fluid for transmissions. Keeping that in mind, you might have a hard time finding an older car that has maintained only OEM transmission fluid in it for it's entire life.
Old 11-16-15, 04:57 PM
aptoslexus
Advanced

Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

Type IV at the local Toyota dealer is $9.50 qt.
Old 11-17-15, 02:22 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Strook639, You will like it.

http://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class-...2-6-atf-2.html
Post 41 is one of them by Glyn Ruck

And aptoslexus, I just bought a quart last Saturday at a Toyota dealer, $5.61.
Old 11-17-15, 05:44 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Strook639, You will like it.

http://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class-...2-6-atf-2.html
Post 41 is one of them by Glyn Ruck

And aptoslexus, I just bought a quart last Saturday at a Toyota dealer, $5.61.
maxlife has mb specs that it meets,if that transmission isnt on that list..then who is to blame. ur graspin for straws here dicer. i sell this all day everyday but before i do i make sure its the correct fluid
Old 11-17-15, 05:53 AM
python
Lexus Champion

its no different than motor oils that have to meet mb spec 229..or bmw LL04..or vw spec 502. the consumer needs to make sure they use the correct fluids.
Old 11-17-15, 10:53 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Like the man says, If it works in a General Motors car or Ford, it will not work properly in a Mercedes Benz, did you look?

Automatic transmission fluid is Not like engine oil. The sole purpose of engine oil is lubrication, and I know it performs other functions too.
Automatic transmission fluid also lubricates and Max life will perform that function just fine. Its the friction modification is where it is lacking, if you used it did your transmission do one of these, shift smoother? shift harsher? If it did not shift and feel the same as it did with T-IV then the friction modifiers are not the same. A smoother shift means wear and heat.

python, Yeah local trans shop would use Max life, when I called a local Mercedes independent he laughed when I told him that and said "you don't want that" I guess he's seen a few Max lifes in his shop. Yeah the trans shop will stand behind it but for how long? Likely hoping it craps in a year or less for a nice rebuild. Plus the fluid is super cheap for them as they buy it bulk, so its all profit. Since it is a Dexron type fluid I really don't understand it. Will Valvoline pay for any problems arising from its use in the vehicles listed on the bottle? I think not.

Last edited by dicer; 11-17-15 at 11:07 AM.
Old 11-17-15, 05:00 PM
aptoslexus
Advanced

Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

Like the man says, If it works in a General Motors car or Ford, it will not work properly in a Mercedes Benz, did you look?

Automatic transmission fluid is Not like engine oil. The sole purpose of engine oil is lubrication, and I know it performs other functions too.
Automatic transmission fluid also lubricates and Max life will perform that function just fine. Its the friction modification is where it is lacking, if you used it did your transmission do one of these, shift smoother? shift harsher? If it did not shift and feel the same as it did with T-IV then the friction modifiers are not the same. A smoother shift means wear and heat.

python, Yeah local trans shop would use Max life, when I called a local Mercedes independent he laughed when I told him that and said "you don't want that" I guess he's seen a few Max lifes in his shop. Yeah the trans shop will stand behind it but for how long? Likely hoping it craps in a year or less for a nice rebuild. Plus the fluid is super cheap for them as they buy it bulk, so its all profit. Since it is a Dexron type fluid I really don't understand it. Will Valvoline pay for any problems arising from its use in the vehicles listed on the bottle? I think not.
"The man" also says you should ignore Mercedes Benz when they say the tranny fluid is good for the life of the car. Will Mercedes Benz pay for those failed transmissions because they said to never change the fluid? I think not. Here's a question. What is better, fresh Maxlife or the Type IV with 30,000, or 90,000, or 120,000 miles on it that is in your Lexus? Do you know? Does "the man" know? One would assume the fluid is constantly degrading. At what point are you doing damage by continuing to use it? Does the local independent Mercedes shop really know why that transmission failed? Was the car driven like a rented mule? He doesn't know. This is the problem. There's no data. All you have is pure guesswork. It's all opinions with nothing to back it up. It's very difficult to listen to self-proclaimed experts (like your Mercedes fluid guy) when they can't back up their rhetoric with concrete data. We're just supposed to believe him because he thinks he knows it all.

Last edited by aptoslexus; 11-17-15 at 05:04 PM.
Old 11-18-15, 03:21 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 96 Likes on 88 Posts

Everyone in this thread needs to tone it down a notch. Passionate discussions are allowed, mud slinging is not and will have dire consequences.

Final warning to everyone in this thread, show evidence, show data, but show any more personal jabs and you will not enjoy the result.

Quick Reply: Transmission fluid