LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Murdered out my lexus

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-15, 08:03 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

lot of clucking for some center caps
Old 11-25-15, 08:29 AM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Nishy
Murdering a car is a complete blackout... all you did was the center of the grill and the center of the wheels.... please no
What he said ^^^^. If I wanted to read another 'click-bait' article I would go to answers.com!
Old 11-25-15, 10:13 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

I still say sand it to the primer and beyond.

And why would anyone want to just drive around in a nice car. When ya could just park it and figure out how to mess it up more.
Patina is the new thing I thought, so grab that sander and go to work, rust is the new look.

Last edited by dicer; 11-25-15 at 10:16 AM.
Old 11-25-15, 11:33 AM
DOBones
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IWANTVVT
Looks epic, no?

Looks good man, I've had my center caps blacked out for about a year and I like it. I went with white on the emblems though.
Old 11-25-15, 02:06 PM
bdazzler
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the blacked out grill. Ida Knows about the blacked out wheel plugs, heh heh.
Old 11-25-15, 05:59 PM
IWANTVVT
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DOBones
Looks good man, I've had my center caps blacked out for about a year and I like it. I went with white on the emblems though.

please send or post pictures!
Old 11-25-15, 06:01 PM
IWANTVVT
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dicer
And gee why polish it when you could sand it to a nice dull finish, you know that popular primer look. And in the process ruin a paint job that would cost $15,000. or more to duplicate.

And why black out the grill? If you want to have something really different you should have used pink, or yellow or blue, maybe mix green and red for the season.
are you complimenting my paint job? I think it looks awesome.
Old 11-25-15, 10:44 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 243 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by IWANTVVT
are you complimenting my paint job? I think it looks awesome.
yes, dicer was definitely giving you a compliment, and he's never been sarcastic

look i get it, 19 year old buys himself a top of the range executive car and wants a little admiration from the community, but all you did was draw on your center caps with a sharpie. not to sound like a total purist or anything but doing a cheap 'mod' on what is essentially an $80,000 car won't look right.

hence, why for me it was either the wheels from another LS or no new wheels at all. to me at least the styling all has to match up to look "proper."
Old 11-27-15, 12:38 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

So really did you 1 buy an aircompressor and paint supplys and do a respray? Or 2 a bunch of spray cans? Or 3 rustoleum roll on? Or 4 a trip to maaco? So the car was dark green and now it is all black ???? Let us know all the goodies. Anything looks good a distance or in a dressed up photo.

You said "My paint job" so you painted the car then?

If so it went from a $20,000. dollar equivalent paint job to a $1000.00 paint job. How do I know because if you did paint it not one window was removed for one.
Nor would the vin or the paint code reflect the proper color, and most color change paint jobs can be spotted by an nonprofessional easy. Just remember the more drastic changes you make the more money you are loosing, every dollar you put into if from then on is lost. Would you expect the same with a bank account? That car if it has drastic changes will bring $1000 or less when it comes time to sell it. One wants a kids messed up project car. Not even you would have wanted it if someone else did a paint change.

Last edited by dicer; 11-27-15 at 12:51 AM.
Old 11-27-15, 06:40 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by dicer
So really did you 1 buy an aircompressor and paint supplys and do a respray? Or 2 a bunch of spray cans? Or 3 rustoleum roll on? Or 4 a trip to maaco? So the car was dark green and now it is all black ???? Let us know all the goodies. Anything looks good a distance or in a dressed up photo.

You said "My paint job" so you painted the car then?

If so it went from a $20,000. dollar equivalent paint job to a $1000.00 paint job. How do I know because if you did paint it not one window was removed for one.
Nor would the vin or the paint code reflect the proper color, and most color change paint jobs can be spotted by an nonprofessional easy. Just remember the more drastic changes you make the more money you are loosing, every dollar you put into if from then on is lost. Would you expect the same with a bank account? That car if it has drastic changes will bring $1000 or less when it comes time to sell it. One wants a kids messed up project car. Not even you would have wanted it if someone else did a paint change.
WOW! easy dude...
fix and mod the car the way u want it to look...EFF everyone else's opinion. as long as ur happy with it thats all that matters
Old 11-27-15, 07:42 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,968 Posts
Default Murdered out my lexus

I think dicer you need to understand that this car is 20 years old, it's fully depreciated, there's no financial harm in him doing what he wants to do with it. You talk like its some brand new car that modifications will hurt its value or its a classic car that has a litmus value. It's an old car, it's going to continue to drop in value, he's a kid and he's having fun. Let him have his fun.

If it brings $1000 in trade in or $3000 in trade in...who cares?
Old 11-27-15, 11:57 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 472 Likes on 362 Posts

Let's be civil. The LS section is well mannered so PD and I are pleased to have all of you contributing your input to fellow LS owners. If the mods don't match your sense of style, please consider the comments before sending them up on the forum.

Dave has posted in other sections of CL about maintaining a sense of community.

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
A Request and Message to ALL 2GS Forum Members:

Over the last few months the moderator team has noticed an issue with the second generation GS forum.... while this forum continues to grow in new members and post activity, it is not experiencing a similar growth in sense of community. What makes Club Lexus a special place is that our members nearly always are mature, we help each other out and work through their differences like adults. We forge friendships with those we've never met and those that we connect with at local CL meets.

Lately there has been an increase in unprovoked personal attacks, rude comments and a general lack of respect for one another in the 2nd Gen GS model forum. New and existing members alike are often flamed or called out for simply asking a question or considering a modification other members don't care for.

These activities will not continue. We will regain our sense of community in the 2GS forum, starting now. If you want to post in order to simply flame other members or be an e-thug, it's time for you to find another forum.

HOW? We're going to accomplish this on in two ways...

Stop the bleeding
1) informing members of this request, asking for their help
2) increased moderator presence and attention in the 2GS forum
3) better education about our forum rules including personal attacks and response to comments (click here to review them) and stricter enforcement via recorded 'infractions' for members who break them
4) use of temporary 24 hour or 1 week ban from the forum as cool off periods after ignoring warnings
5) permanent bans for continued offenses against our community rules where appropriate

Resuscitate the breathing
1) better communication on sense of community and of use of the search feature to new joiners in their welcome email
2) nomination of additional moderators to monitor the 2GS forum and help members

WE NEED YOUR HELP

Help grow the sense of community by:
  • Before you hit the 'post reply' button, consider if your reply is adding to the community or detracting from it. If it's purely negative, don't post.
  • Thicken your skin, be 'better than that'. Don't respond angrily to a rude post. Rise above it, don't respond or use the 'report a post' button to notify moderators of an issue
  • Pitch in to welcome and help recent joiners. Refer them to the FAQ sticky posts or information they're looking for
  • Contribute to the knowledgebase of the forum as you can through DIY posts and helping others

I'd also like to ask each and every one to stop telling new members to 'use search' without helping them search by also telling them what keywords to look for and giving them a couple of links to helpful threads. Welcome them to the forum.

If you get an infraction or a temporary 24 hour or one week ban, please take the warning seriously. Don't come back angry and complaining and don't pick up in the same thread doing the same thing. We're using this method to try and provide 'cooling off' time when needed. Warnings sent in private and public just don't seem to be doing enough to discourage some of the recent behaviour here... we will show some folks the door if they can't participate in a mature manner that enhances our community instead of destroying it.

To be clear, we're not expecting only sunshine and flowers from everybody. Negative opinions of what someone has done to their car are just fine... if the original poster (OP) can't take the criticism along with the kudos then they shouldn't be posting on the internet. What we're asking is for the negative commentary to be posted in a polite and mature (if not constructive) manner. Treat others like you'd like to be treated by someone who disagrees with you.

Thank you for taking the time to read this message and taking it to heart.
Old 11-27-15, 02:54 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 339 Likes on 292 Posts

^^^^^^^ Good post.
Old 11-27-15, 06:16 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

I don't write what I do to upset I do it because I just hate to see a good flawless car ruined. I have been looking for one for over a year now. I have seen them before but they soon get bought before I have a chance.
And sorry but the more that get messed up means the likely hood of me finding a decent one are getting slimmer by the day. And no I'm not a 2 Gen guy but still its a shame to see any good one messed up. Just look at all the messed up Tri five chevys in the past. But lucky for them being American made you can now get complete brand new bodies for them, that will never happen with an offshore made car.
I will exit this thread.
Old 11-29-15, 05:54 PM
CELSI0R
Racer

Received 301 Likes on 237 Posts

Not bad. The grille looks okay, but I'm not a fan of the center caps, either.

Personally, if the center caps still have silver paint on them, I would leave them as-is.

However, if you truly want the center caps to be black, I would try to keep the silver Lexus emblems visible. This provides a nice contrast in color, similar to the Mercedes photo that Stroock639 shared.

Quick Reply: Murdered out my lexus