LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Help Getting Snapped Exhaust Manifold Stud Removed

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-15, 03:12 AM
Losiracer2
Racer

Received 211 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
glad to hear it's solved. can't believe it was frozen that badly.

i too just endured the dreaded EGR pipe replacement. for me i couldn't reach the very top bolt to remove the pipe from the intake manifold. all that work and the last bolt actually stripped and stopped me! i ended up paying $400 for a shop to finish what i couldn't. i was heartbroken to say the least!
Oh my god. Those 2 top bolts took me about an hour to install.

I ended up having to electrical tape the bolt to the socket and install it that way. I was too afraid of losing the bolt somewhere on top of the transmission so i took that extra precaution. The only problem is once i got it started, i think on one of them the electrical tape stayed behind and i couldn't pick it out of there, so hopefully it'll just either be on top of the tranny or burn off from the heat in near the EGR Tube.

So the CEL immediately went off after installation, but now a day later and about 125 miles of driving, I have another CEL that just popped up. I'm thinking with 257k on the car, the o2 sensors are probably toast. But i'll confirm tomorrow once i get the codes scanned. I'll also clean the MAF sensor just for good measure since all those sensors work together to run the engine as efficiently as possible.

Its at least a relief not to hear a sputtering anymore when i take off. My muffer deleted exhaust sounds really nice now.
Old 12-18-15, 05:31 AM
jaaa
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Losiracer2
Oh my god. Those 2 top bolts took me about an hour to install.

I ended up having to electrical tape the bolt to the socket and install it that way. I was too afraid of losing the bolt somewhere on top of the transmission so i took that extra precaution. The only problem is once i got it started, i think on one of them the electrical tape stayed behind and i couldn't pick it out of there, so hopefully it'll just either be on top of the tranny or burn off from the heat in near the EGR Tube.

So the CEL immediately went off after installation, but now a day later and about 125 miles of driving, I have another CEL that just popped up. I'm thinking with 257k on the car, the o2 sensors are probably toast. But i'll confirm tomorrow once i get the codes scanned. I'll also clean the MAF sensor just for good measure since all those sensors work together to run the engine as efficiently as possible.

Its at least a relief not to hear a sputtering anymore when i take off. My muffer deleted exhaust sounds really nice now.
Boy, that is a nice feeling when you don't smell the exhaust and hear that loud sound. I too had a cat inefficiency code pop up after install, but I cleared it and it hasn't come back yet. I was thinking it could be oxygen sensors too.
Old 12-18-15, 10:47 AM
Losiracer2
Racer

Originally Posted by jaaa
Boy, that is a nice feeling when you don't smell the exhaust and hear that loud sound. I too had a cat inefficiency code pop up after install, but I cleared it and it hasn't come back yet. I was thinking it could be oxygen sensors too.

I got codes P0420 and P0430 randomly out of the blue last night.

I'm just going to install non-foulers in the rear o2 sensors to trick the system like I did on my parent's Toyota Sienna. We purchased new Denso o2 sensors and the code still didn't go away until I did that trick.

What you do is buy the 2 non-foulers for each bank of cylinders, drill out the center so some exhaust gas can still be registered by the o2 and thread it into the holes where the o2 sensors went, took care of the CEL and passed emissions test after doing the drive cycle.
Old 12-18-15, 12:01 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Non foulers ? Any pictures?
Old 12-18-15, 11:42 PM
Losiracer2
Racer

Originally Posted by dicer
Non foulers ? Any pictures?

This is basically what you do, stack 2 on top of one another and drill out the center so the O2 sensor can thread in. Then you screw the entire anti-fouler and O2 sensor assembly into the Y-pipe.

Those P0420/430 codes should never pop up again.