LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Crankshaft Position Sensor look like this?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-15, 12:11 PM
Viper1
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crankshaft Position Sensor look like this?

I am in the midst of a rather lengthy battle with my 97 LS400. While I was rolling under my car to check my exhaust, I noticed that my crankshaft position sensor didn't look like it was sitting flush against its mounting point. I removed the 10mm bolt and when I pulled it out, I found this:

What do you think could be rubbing on it to cause these wear marks? Oddly enough, I haven't had any engine codes related to this sensor specifically, but I am troubleshooting engine codes P0300 thru P0308. The car doesn't seem to be misfiring at all and runs normally when my CEL comes on and the TCS light starts flashing. Could the scared sensor be the cause of my misfire codes?

After cleaning off the sensor, I attempted to reinstall it but it won't fit all the way in like it should. Any ideas as to what its getting stuck on?

Thanks in advance!!!
Old 12-20-15, 12:52 PM
jaaa
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Viper1
I am in the midst of a rather lengthy battle with my 97 LS400. While I was rolling under my car to check my exhaust, I noticed that my crankshaft position sensor didn't look like it was sitting flush against its mounting point. I removed the 10mm bolt and when I pulled it out, I found this:

What do you think could be rubbing on it to cause these wear marks? Oddly enough, I haven't had any engine codes related to this sensor specifically, but I am troubleshooting engine codes P0300 thru P0308. The car doesn't seem to be misfiring at all and runs normally when my CEL comes on and the TCS light starts flashing. Could the scared sensor be the cause of my misfire codes?

After cleaning off the sensor, I attempted to reinstall it but it won't fit all the way in like it should. Any ideas as to what its getting stuck on?

Thanks in advance!!!
From the looks of it, I think you partially pulled it apart as you removed it. Hard to tell from the picture, but it looks a little cockeyed(not at 90degrees). In any case you need a new one now.
Old 12-21-15, 06:10 AM
Viper1
10th Gear

Take a look at this video. This large pulley is loose and is protruding into the space where the sensor goes. What is this large pulley for and why is it spinning freely?

I intend on replacing the sensor of coarse, but I want to get to the bottom of this loose pulley also.

Is this the harmonic balancer?
Old 12-21-15, 06:26 AM
jaaa
Lead Lap

LS400 loose crankshaft pulley - YouTube

Take a look at this video. This large pulley is loose and is protruding into the space where the sensor goes. What is this large pulley for and why is it spinning freely?

I intend on replacing the sensor of coarse, but I want to get to the bottom of this loose pulley also.

Is this the harmonic balancer?
Know we know why there are holes in your sensor! The harmonic balancer has rubber in the middle of it to deaden the piston movement. That rubber has separated and the outside part of the pulley can wander in and out. Your pulley has wandered in and rubbed a hole in the housing that the CPS went into(and into your CPS too). So you need a new pulley, a new CPS and need to address the slotted hole in your housing. I'd also change my oil as you may have some debris fall into your engine when you pulled the CPS out.

Last edited by jaaa; 12-21-15 at 06:37 AM.
Old 12-21-15, 07:40 AM
Viper1
10th Gear

That makes perfect sense! I was wondering why that thing was spinning freely like that. The idler pulley and belt tensioner need to be replaced as well, so I might as well do them all at the same time as the balancer. Do you know what the name of that housing is? I don't have a service manual yet.

Since this is my daily driver, I am hoping to get all of these parts swapped out in a day. Can you think of any major obstacles I might run into while doing this? Special tools, etc???
Old 12-21-15, 07:51 AM
Viper1
10th Gear

Wait a minute!!! According to my video, is my serpentine belt on the correct pulley or should it be on the larger one that is spinning freely? I guess I'm confused because I have two pulleys and only one belt, you know?
Old 12-21-15, 08:26 AM
jaaa
Lead Lap

Wait a minute!!! According to my video, is my serpentine belt on the correct pulley or should it be on the larger one that is spinning freely? I guess I'm confused because I have two pulleys and only one belt, you know?
Your belt just fell off the top of the separated crank pulley unto the leftover lower part of the crank pulley. Just buzz the crank pulley off with an impact wrench. Your pulley will cost on the order of $250 new, so a junk yard search might make sense. Only cost around $20 at a pick and pull place.
Old 12-21-15, 09:10 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

And depending on hours of use, ie miles. The used wrecking yard one may do the same in a short time.
The front cover that the sensor fits into is ruined as well. That would be something to get at the wrecking yard.
What is there may work if you remove the burrs inside so the sensor will fit back in the hole correctly. I would JB weld up the holes or maybe silicone over them to keep any water or dirt out, if your not planning on replacing the cover.
So was the serpentine belt staying on and doing anything? That weight came completely off the hub, so it looks.
Old 12-21-15, 09:53 AM
Viper1
10th Gear

The pulley that the belt is riding on right now is the idler pulley I thought. The pulley has ribs and the car is running fine, more or less.

I wish I had pictures to compare my issue with someones proper setup.
Old 12-21-15, 10:40 AM
jaaa
Lead Lap

The pulley that the belt is riding on right now is the idler pulley I thought. The pulley has ribs and the car is running fine, more or less.

I wish I had pictures to compare my issue with someones proper setup.
Listen carefully. Your crank pulley has separated into two pieces. The serpentine belt now rests on the inner portion of that separated pulley. The idler pulley is another totally different pulley. Find someone with a impact wrench so you can pull both halves of that pulley out and you will see that they fit together. If you would just google "separated harmonic balancers" you would see hundreds of examples. I think you will be able to JB Weld the slot that is cut into your housing once you are able to get your new sensor in there.
Old 12-21-15, 10:49 AM
jaaa
Lead Lap

Perhaps this link will help:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...-balancer.html
Old 12-21-15, 11:29 AM
Viper1
10th Gear

Thanks, jaaa. I am just freaking out a little bit. I have missed so much work because of this car so I can't afford to order the wrong parts, you know.
Old 12-21-15, 12:18 PM
Viper1
10th Gear

The cheapest I found was on Rockauto.com

DAYCO PB1673N Premium OEM Replacement Balancer $110.79

Does that seem cheap compared to $300 at the dealership?

I'm guessing I will have to get that big bolt off the end of the crankshaft, right?

Last edited by Viper1; 12-21-15 at 01:09 PM.
Old 12-21-15, 03:36 PM
jaaa
Lead Lap

The cheapest I found was on Rockauto.com

DAYCO PB1673N Premium OEM Replacement Balancer $110.79

Does that seem cheap compared to $300 at the dealership?

I'm guessing I will have to get that big bolt off the end of the crankshaft, right?
You will need an impact wrench or you can use a breaker bar and wedge it somewhere and bump the starter for just a second. Be careful if you are going the second route.
Old 12-21-15, 10:10 PM
dashan
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

This is the the third case of a separating harmonic balancer that I have seen.

Last edited by dashan; 12-21-15 at 10:23 PM.

Quick Reply: Crankshaft Position Sensor look like this?