LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

$9000. 1992 ls

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-16 | 06:44 PM
CELSI0R
Racer

Originally Posted by Rdrcr
I'm not a collector and you can count me in as one who would pay $9K for a similar LS as long as it has a detailed and extensive service history...not based on mileage, but by age, and has been garage-kept its entire life.
Indeed. I mentioned that a collector would be one of the only types of people who would pay that price for a 92' LS right now. Another type is a person who loves the LS400, among others.

I would have considered it as well.. If I had the money and garage space.

Originally Posted by mappo
That last pic shows one of my pet peeves - this car was lovingly cared for over a quarter century, is nearly pristine, and then some asshat two bit used car dealer got their paws on it and slapped their dealer name decal on the back. Nobody cares that the car spent 0.00001% of its life at your crappy little used car lot!
Yep. I feel the same exact way. They actually threw the Lexus carpets in the trunk...

At least the new owner will have spares ().
Attached Thumbnails 00.  1992 ls-s-l1600-6-.jpg  
Old 01-21-16 | 02:53 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

I wouldn't pay them a cent until they let me remove the decal. And if I scratched or burned the paint they could keep it. Its soooo stupid of them to do that.
Old 01-21-16 | 05:41 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

this is how most of them end up with there final owners before they get destroyed... cared for over 25 years, traded in, goes to auction, two bit BHPH car lot gets it, sells it to a jackass that wont take care of it and abuse the hell out of it till it dies. this has been the end of so many of them.
Old 01-21-16 | 08:05 AM
Daspyda
Lead Lap

These are not "collector" cars, let's face it.

It's an awesome car that is now affordable - that's all.
Old 01-21-16 | 10:23 AM
Rdrcr
Pole Position

^^^^
Agreed.
But, maybe one of these days...

Originally Posted by CELSI0R
Indeed. I mentioned that a collector would be one of the only types of people who would pay that price for a 92' LS right now. Another type is a person who loves the LS400, among others.

I would have considered it as well.. If I had the money and garage space.
I'm building a new home as we speak...haven't made any permanent decisions regarding the garage yet...however, the larger the garage...the less money available for cars.

Mike
Old 01-21-16 | 10:44 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Stereorob
this is how most of them end up with there final owners before they get destroyed... cared for over 25 years, traded in, goes to auction, two bit BHPH car lot gets it, sells it to a jackass that wont take care of it and abuse the hell out of it till it dies. this has been the end of so many of them.
I was extremely **** about who bought my old 1991 Cadillac Brougham. I turned down a $5,000 offer on the car because I personally didn't like the guy and knew he was going to trash that car with huge rims. Ended up selling it to a Cadillac nut from out of state for less, but he was showing me pictures of his 1969 Deville convertible and 1976 Seville that it was going to share a garage with. Knew it was going to a good home and was going to be cared for.
Old 01-21-16 | 11:54 AM
AandSC
Pole Position

[QUOTE=Rdrcr;9332524
I'm building a new home as we speak...haven't made any permanent decisions regarding the garage yet...however, the larger the garage...the less money available for cars.

Mike[/QUOTE]

I was surprised how little additional garage space was when I built my house. It was only $12,500 extra for a four car garage. No way I could refuse that.
Old 01-21-16 | 12:02 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Daspyda
These are not "collector" cars, let's face it.

It's an awesome car that is now affordable - that's all.
Your right, and a 1958 Corvette was also not a collector car in 1969, you could get them for a bit over a thousand bucks then.
Old 01-21-16 | 12:08 PM
CELSI0R
Racer

Originally Posted by Rdrcr

Mike
That decision works in funny ways, doesn't it? Best wishes with the construction!

Shame that all of us just can't have both a large garage and nice cars... Unless, you happen to be another Jay Leno.
Old 01-21-16 | 12:10 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

And never have that large garage attached to your house.
Old 01-21-16 | 01:57 PM
Rdrcr
Pole Position

^^^^
That's why the decision hasn't been made yet.

Originally Posted by AandSC
I was surprised how little additional garage space was when I built my house. It was only $12,500 extra for a four car garage. No way I could refuse that.
Sounds about right. I need to see the position of the house on the property before I decide on how big the garage will be. But, I'm aiming for a minimum of 3 cars with shop space.

Originally Posted by CELSI0R
That decision works in funny ways, doesn't it? Best wishes with the construction!

Shame that all of us just can't have both a large garage and nice cars... Unless, you happen to be another Jay Leno.
Thank you!

Mike
Old 01-21-16 | 05:58 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

It's way too much for a 92 and the fact that it has low mileage doesn't mean much unless you plan on starting a Lexus museum. I'm a big fan of the gen 1/gen 2. They look good and have real presence. Just saw a red one in my town. Boy I wanted to follow and see it.

But... here's the problem. They were mass market vehicles and are four door sedans. Collector interest in these is minimal. They just make great used cars. For a very narrow subset of Lexus fans, sure it's a fantastic car that represents the brand. But for the rest of the automotive world, it's a car.

Dicer I have to disagree with you about the Corvette. That's a two door car and it's a convertible. And it's also one of the lesser Vettes in terms of collecting. But I see your point - the early to mid-sixties Vettes were often just used as road racers, or pleasure cars and neglected too.
Old 01-22-16 | 02:53 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Agree 2 doors are always worth more. And mainly because of a stigma and looks 4 door cars have not been real desirable, especially in the performance world, and collectors as well. There is a huge But. There seems to be some kind of acceptance now of 4 door cars in the performance world, and I'm not sure if its an age group thing or what. I would like to know what drives it. And I feel that alone means there maybe some hope in the future for collector interest in Luxury 4 door cars. There are some desirable 4 door cars like the old 50's Cadillac Brougham, so 4 doors can be a desirable thing.
Old 01-22-16 | 05:32 PM
hairdrmstk
Driver School Candidate

Hi guys. I'm the genius/idiot who bought this car depending on who you ask. This definitely is not a collectible car. When I get it, I plan on going through it with fine tooth comb, fixing even the most minor of things. Then I'm going to drive it and hopefully enjoy it. My thinking was that, where else good I get as good of car for 9200 bucks. In my eyes, the hardest thing to fix are interiors. This one looks awesome, so all other mechanical things can be easily fixed. I might get lucky and not have to spend much, or I could go the other way and have a money pit. All cars are like that. I got a Hellcat this year, and with 756 miles it blew up. You just never know. Now I can have a comfortable everyday car, and now I'm going to buy a viper. Surprised there was so much opinion on a 9000 dollar car, but hey, I wish you all well
Old 01-22-16 | 06:05 PM
AandSC
Pole Position

Welcome hairdrmstk! I think you did well, and am in the same boat as you. Hope you stick around and let us know how the car treats you.

Quick Reply: $9000. 1992 ls