LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Is this the death sentence to all 1st gen LS400?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-16 | 06:32 AM
UNCNOR
Pole Position

Originally Posted by peterls
Hey gang,

So, after scouring the earth to find knock sensor harness, I only found out that it is no longer made for 1st gen LS. No one in the universe makes it, and no store anywhere on this planet has it.

That means that should any one of us need one (like myself for instance), we are only left with a possibility of finding a used one from another LS, which is likely just as old and brittle as ours.

No other harness is compatible. It HAS to be the one made specifically for the 1st gen LS. It seems that all 1st gen LS's use the same one.

Since many Toyotas and Lexuses use the same knock sensors, I am thinking that maybe we could improvise these wires from some other harness that is most similar to it? Ours (1st gen) has four contacts: two for knock sensors, one to the starter (which should also be the same on many other cars, right?) and one to the engine harness - plugs into it right at the firewall.

What do you guys think? Should we contact some independent shop that makes wires by order and make a group order? I mean, it is just a well insulated piece of wire with four contacts after all... how hard can it be to make one?

If we do not come up with a solution, we are destined to junk our cars the first time they develop knock sensor wire problems, and I would hate to do that.
Have you tried to source directly from Japan? Amayama.com might be a great place to start.We,as a club,should start a "sticky" thread to cover this problem by identifying sources domestically and overseas.
Old 01-27-16 | 11:32 AM
peterls
Instructor

Originally Posted by UNCNOR
Have you tried to source directly from Japan? Amayama.com might be a great place to start.We,as a club,should start a "sticky" thread to cover this problem by identifying sources domestically and overseas.
Yup, contacted Amayama as they had it listed on their website... but got an email a few days later saying "Sorry, they don't make it any more and we cannot get it for you".

Believe me, I tried everything.