LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

As Time Goes By.

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-16, 06:10 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts
Smile As Time Goes By.

ive been member here for several years and a lurker for many years before that. ive noticed over the last year or so the general mentality about these cars is finally changing. some in good ways some in bad.

the Ls400 used to be the most reliable car on the planet if taken care of but everybody knows that many cars of this age are either at there final, neglectful owner phase and staring death in the face, or being saved by people that want to get them running right and keep them around, really clean examples of 20+ year old Ls400s are almost non existant at this point, however, im starting to see more folks saying "maybe the Ls400 isn't the best choice anymore" and "might be a good idea to stay away" from which is mostly due to age im thinking, cause all heros eventually die and nothing lasts forever. I remember some years ago everyone wanted to drift them or cut them up with modifications, and im seeing less of that these days. reason it was encouraged before is because they were still very common older cars that were bulletproof you could pick up for a song, and if something catastrophic went you could simply throw it away and pick up another one for a grand. 5 years ago it seems like every 5 cars id pass in traffic in a single day were Ls400s in various conditional states, since then there numbers have rapidly dwindled and im seeing a lot more in the junkyards then I see on the streets these days, and I can now go a week to and from work, which is about 9 miles each way, and never pass one in traffic, which gives these cars somewhat of an exclusivity, but at the same time is a sad affair and a major wakeup call that the world is starting to loose the Ls400, which would be a real shame.

today im starting to finally see the Ls400 mentality starting to change, thank god. today drifting them is starting to be frowned apon (although its fun to do but everybody knows a Ls400 drift car isn't going to have much of a lifespan) and VIP mods are starting to also be frowned apon (they look cool but slammed modified and cut up Ls400s are usually close to the end of there life and are total hack jobs, but some are really well done) and im hearing more of "don't drift it" "leave it alone" "don't cut it up" so people are starting to see them bordering on classic treasures that need to be preserved while they are still out there, which makes me feel good that there are more and more happy endings for a car that used to be just looked at as something to thrash around and throw away.

so there you have it! the Ls400 mentality is FINALLY starting to turn the corner! lets keep them clean, running well and ORIGINAL if still in nice shape, cause if we don't, there simply going to fade away from the asphalt landscape completely, and its going to happen fast.

have a great weekend folks!
Old 02-20-16, 12:48 PM
AandSC
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My plan is to do exactly as you recommend. Clean, running well and original. I'm using this car as my daily driver in order to extend the life of my other two cars (my wife and I ride to work together). I figure I can drive it to 300,000 miles with proper maintenance and be out very little money for many years of luxury driving....barring any unforeseen issues).

It is a shame to see people buy these cars at a low price and basically destroy them through lack of maintenance and basic upkeep.
Old 02-20-16, 12:54 PM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AandSC
).

It is a shame to see people buy these cars at a low price and basically destroy them through lack of maintenance and basic upkeep.
there are 4 types of Ls400 drivers. original owners that maintain them beautifully , there are guys like us that maintain them and leave them stock and preserved, then theres the guys that just buy them dirt cheap as a beater, drive them for years without as much as an oil change running them directly into the ground then throwing them away , and then there the cut/hack/drift/mod/bash/slam guys that may maintain the cars but there still helping them into the ground.
Old 02-20-16, 08:23 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

The LS owners and just about any car owner runs a range of views on the driveability and what brings the most enjoyment. Those phases come go with varying levels of age and the bottom line is the willingness to maintain a wearing machine. Some are willing to do the maintenance and others not. I'm not going to purposely ruin the car if a few fluid changes and a watchful eye will preserve the wallet. I like these older cars anyhow.
Old 02-20-16, 09:30 PM
Tongyong19
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I plan on keeping my 99 completely stock, ugly gold color, gold badge and ugly as F*** Lexus stock rims. It's at 120k miles and I want to see if I can make it go 300k and pass it on to my son in 11 years.
Old 02-20-16, 09:52 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Tongyong19
I plan on keeping my 99 completely stock, ugly gold color, gold badge and ugly as F*** Lexus stock rims. It's at 120k miles and I want to see if I can make it go 300k and pass it on to my son in 11 years.
that's really the best way to do it. my vainness took over and i had to put lowering springs, spacers and different rims on it. it's less comfortable but does genuinely feel a bit tighter and more stable through corners. but i'm probably ruining it more quickly lol...
Old 02-22-16, 01:12 AM
UNCNOR
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You're a Prince !!!!!!
Old 02-22-16, 04:41 PM
Rdrcr
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AandSC
My plan is to do exactly as you recommend. Clean, running well and original. I'm using this car as my daily driver in order to extend the life of my other two cars (my wife and I ride to work together). I figure I can drive it to 300,000 miles with proper maintenance and be out very little money for many years of luxury driving....barring any unforeseen issues).

Agreed.

Mike
Old 02-22-16, 07:40 PM
pmarr
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

I love the stock rims on my 98.......
Old 02-23-16, 08:12 AM
saleenssc
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by pmarr
I love the stock rims on my 98.......
Agree 100% ive thought about upgrading to the LS430 18" wheels but i think i like the stock rims better.
Old 02-23-16, 08:42 AM
anesthesia
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

For sure, the stock rims on the 98-00 is just really nice, it goes very well with the car
Old 02-23-16, 09:52 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

ive always called the stock rims on the 98+ the "starfish" style. ive always liked them. ive always liked the 95-97 factory rims as long as they are chrome. the early ucf10 "turbine" wheels I call them look awful, but are decent when chrome. the 93-94 rims I cant stand in any style lol
Old 02-23-16, 11:31 AM
anesthesia
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Man, I hate chrome wheels, it's so 90ish, especially on the ls400, brushed silver finish is my favorite
Old 02-23-16, 11:57 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

I love the chrome wheels. I think it gives the car class.
Old 02-23-16, 12:03 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

I like the turbine wheels better than all the rest, and they actually look strong. Most all the aftermarket wheels look weak.

Quick Reply: As Time Goes By.