LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Bought a Lexus today. Broke a Lexus today..

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-16, 11:17 PM
sndlight
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Oceanic
Studs are on!

Broke 3 ratchets doing it though, could find my breaker bar anywhere, neighbor was kind enough to lend me one

Heat shield was griding, ripped it right off, seems to pull right when I brake now, and there's an intermittent clunking that comes from the rear, seems to increase with speed but happens only when I take my foot off the gas or apply brakes and only here and there, can't seem to figure it out

Friend suggested servicing the dif, I'm thinking all new rotors and bearings, but we'll see what it turns out to be.

If you've got any suggestions or solutions let me know.
Definitely needs a 4 wheel alignment. & If it's pulling to the right then your driver side brake caliper may be stuck.
Old 03-08-16, 06:53 AM
jaaa
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by dicer
https://www.google.com/#q=define+quarter+panel

So Jaaa since you got me by 2 years age, you are the older wiser one on this.
I was wrong in my post about quarter panel nomenclature. And Sorry to you to Billy. Stupid me.

And quarter is one 4th so there has to be 4 corners.
Heck, I googled it after your post and I thought you were right.
Old 03-08-16, 10:12 AM
timmy0tool

Received 425 Likes on 379 Posts

those studs are NOT fully seated, unless that was your "in-progress" picture. the head needs to be flush with the hub, and i cannot believe you installed that with hand tools let alone a ratchet (which by the looks of it, a 3/8", which is certainly not meant for the high torque necessary to install the studs)!

you need to zip those on with an air tool, or at the least a breaker bar until the studs are flush. use a few washers to space out the nut you are using to pull the studs in. you lug nuts WILL NOT be fully tightened with what i see, which will lead to the same thing happening again!
Old 03-08-16, 10:18 AM
timmy0tool

Received 425 Likes on 379 Posts

use washers to space out the nut so you can fully pull in the stud!
Old 03-08-16, 12:54 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

When I did it I had the whole spindle assembly out and set the flange down on 2 pieces of wood and used a hammer and drift to pound them flush. If using the above method oil the threads, then clean the oil off after finished.
Old 03-08-16, 01:12 PM
Oceanic
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by timmy0tool

those studs are NOT fully seated, unless that was your "in-progress" picture. the head needs to be flush with the hub, and i cannot believe you installed that with hand tools let alone a ratchet (which by the looks of it, a 3/8", which is certainly not meant for the high torque necessary to install the studs)!

you need to zip those on with an air tool, or at the least a breaker bar until the studs are flush. use a few washers to space out the nut you are using to pull the studs in. you lug nuts WILL NOT be fully tightened with what i see, which will lead to the same thing happening again!
Yeah it was an in-progress picture, forgot to take one when finished and didn't wanna take it all off again, found out the dif has near no fluid in it, and its gonna need a U-joint which is causing the intermittent clunking. Another heat shield sounds like its rubbing, gonna rip that off too. Did a little other tweaks today too, will post pics when I'm back in the garage
Old 03-08-16, 01:30 PM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

oh boy I know what that's like. had the front right wheel fly off my first Ls400 doing 50 down the road. terrible feeling knowing the car is just going to go any which way it wants to and there is nothing you can do about it. I ended up hitting a curb and a row of bushes. yeah, VERY lucky that I didn't end up in oncoming traffic.
Old 03-08-16, 05:18 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Stereorob
oh boy I know what that's like. had the front right wheel fly off my first Ls400 doing 50 down the road. terrible feeling knowing the car is just going to go any which way it wants to and there is nothing you can do about it. I ended up hitting a curb and a row of bushes. yeah, VERY lucky that I didn't end up in oncoming traffic.
For the same reason, loose nuts?
Old 03-09-16, 04:58 AM
hyperopt
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's suck.
Thanks for the head-up. I'll be sure to torque the lug nuts every time I bring a new baby home.
Old 03-09-16, 06:03 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by dicer
For the same reason, loose nuts?
not quite. cracked and twisted studs. put 18s on the car with a slightly off lug pattern. over time they cracked and broke. didn't even know it was coming. no warning at all.
Old 03-09-16, 11:14 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

And another really really good reason not to put on anything other than stock wheels.
Old 03-09-16, 04:57 PM
Oceanic
Driver School Candidate

Oh boy.. Yesterday and today were quite eventful..

Put in a cone filter and removed fan cover

Fixed the exhaust leak and engine light is now off, but now it sounds too quiet. Started cutting holes farther back, found the guts of my catalytic converter in a Y pipe, cleaned it out and it removed the exhaust rattle/drone, and it actually sounds like a v8 now. Went for late night pizza and went into the city for it, I must like the car because I actually cared enough to lock the doors, and I guess that wasnt such a good idea, handle hopped off or something and it stopped working so I was forced to climb out the passenger side for the rest of the night and this morning.

Washed and waxed the new baby, its amazing out.

Amazing until I went to go pick up the bill of sale, got it and drove 2 or 3 blocks down and as I started to pull away from a stop sign. Bang! There goes the U-joint..

Found out that you've gotta replace the whole driveshaft, dealer quoted me 1,000$ for it, u-pull charges 80 for driveshafts, not sure what my next action should be. Guy who sold it offered to do the work and see if he can get a hold of a driveshaft for me from his brother, if he can't find one I'll have to buy it or go pull one.. Not sure what my other options are, really don't want to get into anything legal if it would even apply here but I'm out of a car and running out of cash to put into it.
Old 03-10-16, 05:38 AM
jaaa
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Oceanic
Oh boy.. Yesterday and today were quite eventful..

Put in a cone filter and removed fan cover

Fixed the exhaust leak and engine light is now off, but now it sounds too quiet. Started cutting holes farther back, found the guts of my catalytic converter in a Y pipe, cleaned it out and it removed the exhaust rattle/drone, and it actually sounds like a v8 now. Went for late night pizza and went into the city for it, I must like the car because I actually cared enough to lock the doors, and I guess that wasnt such a good idea, handle hopped off or something and it stopped working so I was forced to climb out the passenger side for the rest of the night and this morning.

Washed and waxed the new baby, its amazing out.

Amazing until I went to go pick up the bill of sale, got it and drove 2 or 3 blocks down and as I started to pull away from a stop sign. Bang! There goes the U-joint..

Found out that you've gotta replace the whole driveshaft, dealer quoted me 1,000$ for it, u-pull charges 80 for driveshafts, not sure what my next action should be. Guy who sold it offered to do the work and see if he can get a hold of a driveshaft for me from his brother, if he can't find one I'll have to buy it or go pull one.. Not sure what my other options are, really don't want to get into anything legal if it would even apply here but I'm out of a car and running out of cash to put into it.
I feel your pain. My $300 special went through a long list of breakdowns before I got it all sorted out.
Old 03-10-16, 08:16 AM
pmarr
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

does the old adage of "you get what you pay for" not hold true? I understand getting a deal but any car under $3,000 that does not have paper history scares the hell out of me. With that said I don't necessarily buy cars to fix them if they need fixing, too much hassle and I'm no mechanic. Just would rather spend the $ up front for peace of mind is all. But some here love their cars and tweak and tinker and more power to you. Enjoy your Lexus however you like; they are truly cars you can fall in love with regardless of dollar value.
Old 03-10-16, 10:32 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

And all the pictures on this thread are pooof. Typical of off site posting of photos. Just stupidity.

Quick Reply: Bought a Lexus today. Broke a Lexus today..