LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Bought a Lexus today. Broke a Lexus today..

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-16, 12:26 PM
CELSI0R
Racer

Received 301 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Oceanic
Amazing until I went to go pick up the bill of sale, got it and drove 2 or 3 blocks down and as I started to pull away from a stop sign. Bang! There goes the U-joint..

Found out that you've gotta replace the whole driveshaft, dealer quoted me $1,000 for it, u-pull charges 80 for driveshafts, not sure what my next action should be. Guy who sold it offered to do the work and see if he can get a hold of a driveshaft for me from his brother, if he can't find one I'll have to buy it or go pull one.. Not sure what my other options are, really don't want to get into anything legal if it would even apply here but I'm out of a car and running out of cash to put into it.
It's a shame, but this can happen sometimes when maintenance has not been the biggest priority.

I know it's tough, but it's not worth getting into any legal issues no matter what. It will waste both your money and his, and he seems to be a decent guy since he's offered to help out. Most previous owners would not do that, especially after the bill of sale has been handed over.

No matter the struggle, remain logical and calm. I know you know this, though.
Old 03-15-16, 09:04 AM
Oceanic
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh boy.. Yesterday and today were quite eventful..

Put in a cone filter and removed fan cover

Fixed the exhaust leak and engine light is now off, but now it sounds too quiet. Started cutting holes farther back, found the guts of my catalytic converter in a Y pipe, cleaned it out and it removed the exhaust rattle/drone, and it actually sounds like a v8 now. Went for late night pizza and went into the city for it, I must like the car because I actually cared enough to lock the doors, and I guess that wasnt such a good idea, handle hopped off or something and it stopped working so I was forced to climb out the passenger side for the rest of the night and this morning.

Washed and waxed the new baby, its amazing out.

Amazing until I went to go pick up the bill of sale, got it and drove 2 or 3 blocks down and as I started to pull away from a stop sign. Bang! There goes the U-joint..

Found out that you've gotta replace the whole driveshaft, dealer quoted me 1,000$ for it, u-pull charges 80 for driveshafts, not sure what my next action should be. Guy who sold it offered to do the work and see if he can get a hold of a driveshaft for me from his brother, if he can't find one I'll have to buy it or go pull one.. Not sure what my other options are, really don't want to get into anything legal if it would even apply here but I'm out of a car and running out of cash to put into it.
Had the guy who sold me the car take a look at it, he thinks its the differential that went and not the U-joint. The previous owner is giving me 200$ for the troubles which is very kind of her, I had the car towed to my personal garage because I've been having a hard time trusting and dealing with the 'mechanic' who sold it to me. Gonna pull the dif cover tonight and find out what really happened, will keep you guys updated. If anyone has any good places to get a replacement dif or replacement gears please let me know.
Old 03-19-16, 03:13 PM
Oceanic
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had the guy who sold me the car take a look at it, he thinks its the differential that went and not the U-joint. The previous owner is giving me 200$ for the troubles which is very kind of her, I had the car towed to my personal garage because I've been having a hard time trusting and dealing with the 'mechanic' who sold it to me. Gonna pull the dif cover tonight and find out what really happened, will keep you guys updated. If anyone has any good places to get a replacement dif or replacement gears please let me know.

Well there's the problem.
New dif on schedule to be here wednesday
Old 03-19-16, 04:01 PM
KJG92
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well that is ridiculous. Parts cars are easy to find. Hope you didn't have too much trouble finding a replacement.