LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Do they work- engine restore?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-18, 09:45 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 472 Likes on 362 Posts

One of my neighbors had failed smog multiple times. I suggested he change his coolant temp sensor and O2 sensor. They are original and the car is at 180K. It also had not had a tune so old plugs and wires. He didn't want to spend on the parts and the car had failed about 6 times. After each fail he put in Seafoam and drove the tank down. Had no effect though there may have been a point or two drop in certain areas. He was firm stating the Seafoam would clean the whole emissions up and the car would run well. He finally passed and barley made it under the max allowed. The engine is still not running well. He doesn't feel the O2 sensor is going to do anything. His car so he'll do as he feels.
The following users liked this post:
BNastee (01-02-24)
Old 02-08-18, 12:08 AM
spuds
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 176 Posts

So seafoam didnt replace his plugs and rebuild his sensors??
The following users liked this post:
BNastee (01-02-24)
Old 02-08-18, 11:48 AM
spuds
Racer

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by JetCat
Hey guys .... my first post here ... I just joined today -- -- -- --
Auto-RX : I use this to clean the inside of the engine ... mostly the rings. It freaking works,
So, my friend ..... your concern is too much oil consumption ? In my mind, you have some very dirty rings ... ( and I would bet you probably also have a sludged engine to one degree or another ) ... therefore, may I kindly suggest to run some Auto-RX for at least 5,000 miles (as a first initial treatment plan)
First off,nice to meet you JetCat.

Thank you for putting AutoRx on my radar.
I agree with you,if you have sticking compression rings or oil rings,unsticking them is obviously going to mean less oil consumption and better compression.
Sounds like this product does that in your experience and I really appreciate your sharing this with us.

Have to have a thick skin to enter this topic,sceptics love to make blanket statements these products are ALL snake oil,I disagree with such statements any time that are overly broad on many topics.
Old 02-08-18, 03:13 PM
JetCat
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey Spuds ... thanks for the kind words and reaching out ... most appreciate : ) You know, honestly I had no idea that Auto-RX was going to have an effect on my rings when I very first started experimenting with it . I figured it out after I did a treatment on a VW engine ... I ran AutoRX for an entire year on that car ... it took a year only because that car is seldom used, but anyways, I have owned that car from new for a total of 18 years ... it has always been kind of a dog. Oh man .... I could really tell what a difference it made to do the " RX treatment" to it .... well when I realized how good this stuff is ... I thought I should try it on a Toyota 2AZ FE motor which has a notorious record for oil burning issues. All I can say is that so far, my 2AZ FE does not burn a single drop of oil; period.

Yeah ... you are right .... strange how that the subject of oil (and additives) evokes such emotion at times .... on that note, I stumbled upon another interesting discovery when I found the 540 Rat Oil Blog. [ https://540ratblog.wordpress.com ] When I first found it, I spent nearly 2 weeks going over everything the guy said night and day .... it was like getting an AA degree in Lubrication-Ology in about 14 days flat. : ) I will not spoil it for you ... but ... let me just say ... imagine putting actual test data on the table about all the products we have heard about for years and years .... and years .... and then this engineer guy comes along and sticks his finger (and his data) into everything you know [or think you know] about engine lubrication and messes it all up ..... with simple, test proven facts out of his lab. No one pays the guy under the table. No one sponsors him (although they try from time to time) For whatever reason the guy just likes testing oil on his weekends off, so much so that he built his own test lab. Once in a while people get mad at him when he tests a well marketed, name brand product and the results do not come out quite so well .. .. .. ....... .. . .

An open and inquisitive mind ... real world testing and experimentation ... the willingness to learn .... heck yeah. Nothing to get upset about : ) I just wanna keep my Lexus alive for a long, long time ....

thanks again, spuds
Old 02-08-18, 03:31 PM
spuds
Racer

For whatever reason the guy just likes testing oil on his weekends off....
Hey,Idiot Savants need love too! I know a brilliant surgeon that cant operate a multi line desk phone.
==============================
OMG,we VW peeps are peas in a pod.Love classics,and love learning,and listen to people. Only exceeded by our extreme modesty. Really.

Ratblog guy,Ive been looking for a thread to mention him,even thinking of opening one.I also spent DAYS reading his info and in my vehicles Im using the 5W30 Quaker State Ultimate Durability, API SN, GM dexos 1 approved, synthetic (gold bottle) = 113,377 psi he tested.I loved the hot engine number he got,ideal for an aircooled VW.

Everybody,read the ratblog guy,thats an engine additive bible on oils.

Last edited by spuds; 02-08-18 at 03:49 PM.
Old 02-10-18, 10:39 PM
Losiracer2
Racer

Received 211 Likes on 171 Posts

These would probably be needed on early 90s American engines where tolerances weren't the best. But on our 1UZ V8, its so well engineered that you're best to stick to the recommended maintenance intervals.

My 288k mile engine doesn't burn any oil in 5k mile oil changes and the oil still has an amber color to it when draining.
Old 12-31-23, 12:47 PM
Billj386
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Definitely works in older engines

Originally Posted by Stroock639
these are really all just snake oil.. i mean think about it, billions of dollars went into developing this car, some $19.99 can of magic spray from walmart isn't gonna miraculously restore the engine and give you a bunch of horsepower back.

also no manufacturers ever recommend adding this stuff, and assuming its always had regular oil changes and been well maintained i'm sure it's hardly lost any power. considering these engines regularly exceed 300,000 and sometimes even 400,000 miles i wouldn't be too worried. hell there's currently one out there with like 940,000 miles and people who drive it still say it makes good power.

something like seafoam will clean out a bit of carbon but unless it's severely gunked up with carbon you really won't notice a huge difference from that either. i wouldn't waste too much money on these things.
Originally Posted by python
anything thats been on the shelves for as long as that product has..does its job. pay no attention to the previous reply.
heres just one forum link for those who have used it: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/engi...ork-71649.html
now i will ask this...what are u hoping to achieve with it? are u adding it to a Ls 400? if so i would advise against it. that product is designed to help repair cylinder walls that have been scored in an engine that has lost some power due to lost compression because of this. i have had many..and i mean many mechanics swear by this stuff..those who have used a borescope and documented the results....mostly older engines from the 70's in camaros..mustangs..etc.
I started using it in my 64 fury because of friends feedback. But until I had to swap out the cylinder heads Icouldn't prove it. I saw the discoloration in the side of cylinder walls where the scratches had been filled in to the point where you couldn't feel anything by rubbing your finger nails across.
I'm leary about using it in my 01 rx300 because of the vvt warning on thier web site. One is ok while some aren't. And I don't know the difference yet. Actually that's why I'm here now, trying to find that out.
Old 12-31-23, 01:04 PM
400fanboy
Racer

Received 424 Likes on 331 Posts

As others have said, you shouldn't use these products in the LS400 except as a last-resort.

In a modern FI engine, whatever you're trying to address should be addressed by other means.