LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Intermittent horn

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-16, 05:12 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 410 Likes on 348 Posts
Default Intermittent horn

Pushing the horn button on 1999 LS400 did not produce an expected honking...

Not sure if humidity related but encountered a downpour hours before malfunction

However, tried the horn again the next day and it worked perfectly.

So it would appear there is an intermittent issue that merits attention.

Any members experience this issue?

How did you resolve it?... relay, wiring, connectors, actuator button contacts, grounding or ground wire?

Thanks.
Old 07-19-16, 05:22 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Maybe its the takata air bag that's in the way, and leaking the propellant all over everything.
Old 07-19-16, 05:32 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dicer
Maybe its the takata air bag that's in the way, and leaking the propellant all over everything.
Have you encountered this as common or a primary cause of failure for the horn to honk?
Old 07-19-16, 06:34 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

No I was trying to be humorous. And more likely a clock spring deal, or the contact's like you mention.
Old 07-19-16, 08:25 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

I think it might be temperature related. Last winter when it was real cold my horn stopped working until the temperature raised back up some. Have you checked the connections by the hood latch?

Last edited by sha4000; 07-20-16 at 06:29 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-19-16, 10:28 PM
Yamae

Received 887 Likes on 669 Posts

Originally Posted by YODAONE
Pushing the horn button on 1999 LS400 did not produce an expected honking...

Not sure if humidity related but encountered a downpour hours before malfunction

However, tried the horn again the next day and it worked perfectly.

So it would appear there is an intermittent issue that merits attention.

Any members experience this issue?

How did you resolve it?... relay, wiring, connectors, actuator button contacts, grounding or ground wire?

Thanks.
I'd distinguish which line is causing the problem measuring the voltages at the horn relay's pins.
Old 07-19-16, 10:44 PM
Yamae

Received 887 Likes on 669 Posts

Originally Posted by Yamae
I'd distinguish which line is causing the problem measuring the voltages at the horn relay's pins.
Attached is from a JDM service manual but it may be possible for English speaking people to find out where's the horn relay and the pin assignments. The pin#1 is connected the switch at the steering, pin#2 to the horn relay fuse and pin#3 to horns.
Attached Thumbnails Intermittent horn-fuses-and-relays.png  
Old 07-19-16, 11:08 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sha4000
I think it might be temperature related. Last winter when it was real cold my horn stopped working until the temperature raised back up some. Have you checked the connections by the house latch?
Please excuse but not familiar with "house latch"...
Old 07-20-16, 06:30 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by YODAONE
Please excuse but not familiar with "house latch"...
Fixed, hood latch.
Old 07-21-16, 01:36 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Attached is from a JDM service manual but it may be possible for English speaking people to find out where's the horn relay and the pin assignments. The pin#1 is connected the switch at the steering, pin#2 to the horn relay fuse and pin#3 to horns.
Can you post a higher resulution image of the fusebox diagram. Thanks
Old 07-21-16, 02:30 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sha4000
I think it might be temperature related. Last winter when it was real cold my horn stopped working until the temperature raised back up some. Have you checked the connections by the hood latch?
Both horns have a single postive connector terminal and negative body grounding.

The horn and it's mounting tab is painted, the radiator surround is painted, as are the tapped holes, and the fasteners are again painted(?) thread-forming screws with lock washer and captive flat washer.
The attached images clearly show a deficient grounding scenario.

I am beginning to think such grounding issues are systemic.

Painted horn mounting bracket side that mates with painted radiator shroud to ground.<br/><br/>Single wire connector

Radiator shroud tapped hole...painted at factory.

Horn bracket mounting fastener does not suggest optimal grounding between horn and body
Old 08-13-16, 06:50 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Solved the intermittent horn problem....

The clock spring was functioning

The relay was working properly..

I observed

he horn would only work when the telescopic steering mechanism was adjusted all the way in...and both ends of the concentric shafts were abutting up against each other.

So I reasoned the lubricant was insulating the sliding components...

A supplementary grounding cable was fabricated using more flexible 14 gauge fine strand tin-plated marine wire with a #8 and 3/8" ring terminal.

This ground strap was connected at the existing ground strap (closest to driver)#8 screw hole and routed alongside the steering column harness with a loop the loop(permitting extension and retraction) to the steering column support bolt(right of column)

The loop was affixed with a single small cable tie where finger is holding wire loop in image.

Supplementary ground wire installed. Finger is where mini cable tie was affixed.

To better access this ground screw, slightly bend downward the steering column harness support bracket. I left the original ground wire in place and simply added another at this location

This is where the 3/8" lug was affixed to the body...wire barrel side up serves as a stop to prevent spinning of the terminal whien torquing nut... Horn works better than ever.
The following users liked this post:
imdking (07-29-17)
Old 08-13-16, 07:38 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Nice catch, I wonder if Lexus ever figured out to ground the upper steering column? So the normal ground is just through metal that slides?
Old 08-14-16, 08:26 AM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dicer
Nice catch, I wonder if Lexus ever figured out to ground the upper steering column? So the normal ground is just through metal that slides?
The normal (original) ground wire spans across the tilt joint pivot and ends before the sliding mechanism...so before adding a ground wire from that point to the body, continuity was inconsistent. Now the horn works.