LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

$800 '96 LS400 project

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-17, 04:22 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Looks like a gutted out airplane cockpit, and look at all those nice parts everywhere. Take them all they take up almost no space.
Old 01-31-17, 05:15 PM
Banshee365
Instructor

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by dicer
Looks like a gutted out airplane cockpit, and look at all those nice parts everywhere. Take them all they take up almost no space.
The car in the photos is the one I'm putting back on the road. But I am going to salvage every part from the white car that I don't use.
Old 02-01-17, 04:52 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

You Da man Banshee. Good to hear your saving the parts.
Old 02-02-17, 09:51 AM
Banshee365
Instructor

Originally Posted by dicer
You Da man Banshee. Good to hear your saving the parts.
I wouldn't want to disappoint ya! The parts I'm really interested in is the AC unit and all of it's little pieces, I should have swapped that over but I don't have an AC machine so I can't suck the systems down, or else I would have and swapped the AC unit as well. It would have been a piece of cake this car down into it.

Also, I ended up swapping the steering columns as well. It's going back together now. I hooked up the battery to move the steering wheel down for cluster install and the tilt function quit working in the middle of it. I said to hell with it and just swapped the whole column and kept the lock cylinder with the car obviously. Pre-immo cars are so easy in this respect.
Old 02-02-17, 06:05 PM
Banshee365
Instructor

The car cranked right up this evening. There was a slight knock for a second until the oil pressure built. The engine was hanging at extreme angles and all oil was removed from the pickup tube so it needed a second to prime. It was typical Lexus smooth and quiet within 2 seconds.

I still have to install all of the seats and package tray. I also have to swap all the door speakers and door panels. The drivers door and right rear door lock actuators do not operate the locks properly so you can't remotely lock or unlock those doors. The donor parts should clear that up. Then I still need to bleed the brakes and install the trunk trim. I'm sure there are a few other things but the big stuff is done.

I should have have it done tomorrow.
Old 02-03-17, 08:42 AM
wolfy53
Driver

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Sweet. You are doing a great job. Thanks for updating this.Can't wait to see the pics.

I bet it feels good to be on the home stretch.
Old 02-03-17, 09:15 AM
2KHarrier

Received 242 Likes on 200 Posts

Nice update Banshee. Must feel good to hear that thing start up again. Good progress!
Old 02-03-17, 12:53 PM
Banshee365
Instructor

I'm currently taking a lunch break from swapping all the door panels and swapping the driver door and right rear door latch assemblies. As you may know, the front door latch assemblies are a ***** to get out. With removing the bottom bolt on the rear window rail it's barely possible to squeak it out of there. I also rattle can painted a junkyard silver door handle I got a few months ago to the closest match I could to the rest of the handles. The rest of the handles look somewhat like a flat black but with a little metallic in it. I wasn't able to find a metallic flat black so I had to go with a really dark bronze metallic and it looks nearly black and matches the rest of the handles decently until I get some paint work done to the car at a later date. After it dried a bit I installed it while doing that latch mechanism.

I've got to swap the other 3 door panels, swap the right rear latch assembly, install the glove box, cd changer, and the seats and it's pretty much done. I hope to finish it by this evening.

Then I'm going to go mad on washing, claying, polishing, and waxing it to see how this pig shines up.

Edit: Oh, and all of the speakers have to be swapped as well.
Old 02-04-17, 08:52 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Your pretty speedy at getting the stuff done.
Old 02-05-17, 07:04 AM
2KHarrier

Great updates. Looking forward to seeing the finished project.
Old 02-05-17, 02:32 PM
Banshee365
Instructor

The car is done except for the trunk interior bits. I need to track down a water leak first. I had intermittent speeds on the blower fan regardless of what was selected. It would mostly only run at low. It would go up and down at times though. It turned out to be from the phone ECU. It had some water near it and I think it went bad and shorted somewhere telling the car that the phone was in use. I unplugged the phone controller in the trunk and all is well. I got an ABS light during a test drive today so I am going to track that down. I don't have a scanner capable of reading modules other than the ECM so I'll need to figure out how to get the code.

You'll see where the paint has it's issues but it shines up decent and looks decent from a slight distance. If the car proves to be mechanically reliable and drive well I'll look into doing some paint work here and there to spruce that part up. The grey on the bottom is faded in spots, it was keyed at some point, and the paint on the hood and top of the fenders is cracking pretty bad.

The wheels and tires are off the white car and the wheels look tired. The new Pirelli's on the wheels that were originally on this blackberry pearl car as in much better shape and will look great after I install them after the alignment. The wheel is slightly off center so I'm going to see if moving it a tooth on the rack itself fixes that as the tie-rods may be pretty close. I don't want one tie rod longer than the other just to center the wheel when the centering needs to be done at the column to rack attachment.

The following users liked this post:
CELSI0R (02-05-17)
Old 02-05-17, 09:03 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Wow ! Great work banshee, and just think that whole interior was non existent a few weeks ago. Don't forget some good floor mats to save the carpet.
Old 02-05-17, 09:42 PM
Calliope
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Great work there!
Old 02-06-17, 02:34 AM
Losiracer2
Racer

Received 211 Likes on 171 Posts

Holy crap you're fast, it was just a few days ago that I saw this interior almost gutted, not to mention swapping engine's and steering columns and door locks and painting handles. Nice work. I'm still contemplating replacing my motor mounts and front shocks haha. Been doing that for a month now.
Old 02-06-17, 04:10 AM
2KHarrier

Impressive, captain.

Quick Reply: $800 '96 LS400 project