LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Engine torque dampers

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-16, 05:38 AM
fixmiester
Intermediate

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Default No one noticed?

The diagram showing engine rotation and the resulting torque is backwards; the torque vector is always opposite the direction of engine rotation. Think about it.
Old 08-13-16, 08:04 AM
YODAONE
Pole Position

Received 414 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by kitabel
It appears that actually reading prior posts before making a comment is bad form, yes?
Or do you just not understand the subject?
Can you elaborate on your thought?

Is it directed to the array or any particular ClubLexus Forum member response in this post?

Why do you interpret that "actually reading prior posts is in bad form (yes?)" and not simply due diligence?
Old 08-13-16, 06:59 PM
AaronUCF11
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The danger with a broken mount is far less with modern drive-by-wire; with cable or rod accel linkage it frequently jammed the throttle open and caused spectacular wrecks. Excess engine motion is also responsible for those interesting scars on the radiator core where the fan's path was moved around, broken ATF cooler lines, stretch power steering hoses, broken or dislocated clutch torque shaft, etc.
All my hoses are rubber and have plenty of flex, also the throttle cable would have to be yanked a long way before it would have any effect.

Honestly i think these are not very weak engine mounts (unless broken) i see very little twist or engine movement with them. It would be worth looking at kouki jza80 engine mounts if your worried about splitting, they are encased in metal and provide good rigidity, but do have some nvm.

Torque dampener is silly it may reduce initial shock but wont reduce total torque applied. If your ripping new engine mounts with only a couple of throttle applications you have very poor quality mounts or a very high powered engine.

Its difficult to compare that merc system to retrofitting to a lexus mounting system. The merc mounts where designed to require a dampener. There is a lot more things id be spending my time and money on rather then being cut up by old busted engine mounts and trying to reinvent the wheel.

Last edited by AaronUCF11; 08-13-16 at 07:03 PM.
Old 08-13-16, 10:23 PM
AaronUCF11
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have rubber ATF cooler lines? Not unless someone put them in - they're all steel OEM for the last 75 years.

wont reduce total torque
If the restraining cable is tight enough, it will completely eliminate torque applied to the mount.

You know, it's so strange: none of the people whose cars suffered from "unintended acceleration" (went up on the sidewalk and killed someone, through the guard rail, pinned the mechanic against the wall, through the garage door, up on top of the car in front of them) said at that very moment "I think my car may jump forward by accident". They were all quite surprised.
Yep, steel lines under the engine to the front then rubber to the cooler. Everything thats attached to the engine and also the body must be able to flex/distort. Like your fuel lines, radiator hoses, wiring etc.

Im saying the engine would have to move a lot from its normal position to be able to exceed the flex of the cable sheth to be able to effect the throttle.

You where discussing the dampener idea, my comment was regarding this.

I have these engine mounts on my 2jz mx83 cressida. As you can see they are fully contained so they cant rip apart from torque. My cressida had 2 busted mounts, unbolted them and went to lift the original motor out, half the mount went with it. No bad effects where noted prior.