LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Bypass Factory Nakamichi Sub for this...

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-16, 07:12 PM
hotdawwg
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bypass Factory Nakamichi Sub for this...

Hey guys, is there a way to bypass my Current Nakamichi sub and use this? And if so, will this even be enough for me to feel and hear the bass in the trunk. I just want some depth to my stereo and I also want it to be on a budget. This is a budget build for me.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007AQ2W6W?tag=ibest9-20

If it does work, what do I need to grab the signal from my Factory Sub wiring to get this to work?
Old 08-15-16, 06:49 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 96 Likes on 88 Posts

You would use a line output converter to convert the amplified sub lines to an unamplified signal for the sub/amp yout want to use. (Provided it can't take amp'd signals)

Other than that you'd just need to run power to the trunk.

for maximum effect you'll want to remove the factory sub, otherwise the trunk is effectively air-tight and you won't get much from your new setup.
Old 08-15-16, 08:40 AM
hotdawwg
Pole Position

PD, thank you for your response. Car audio is definitely something I have a very limited knowledge on. Removing the factory sub is a great idea and I think if I move forward with this powered sub, I think I would be satisfied with this.

PD, how can I find out if this whole unit will take amp'd signals? Anything I should refer to?
Old 08-15-16, 09:09 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

The amazon reviews/answers say it has a high level input. Should only need a fused power line run from the battery to the trunk (8ga should be enough, 10 is a bit risky given the draw for 300w rms over the distance).
Old 08-15-16, 09:23 AM
hotdawwg
Pole Position

Gotcha! Thank you
Old 08-15-16, 03:51 PM
djamps
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I did exactly what you're planning except with a larger ported box and bigger amplifier, and I am not happy with it. Even with the sub removed very little makes it into the cabin from the trunk except for the extremely low end due to the gas tank. You'll be able to feel the really low notes but you'll be missing a big gap in the 60-120hz range which is where most music information is (unless all you listen to is trap music). Bass level sounds mediocre inside the car but when you open the trunk and stand behind the car it's actually blasting so loud you could hear it a half mile away. Great for tailgates but terrible for freeways. Total waste of power! IMO you might better off tossing a high power sub and amp in the factory location which is my next plan.

Last edited by djamps; 08-15-16 at 03:56 PM.
Old 08-15-16, 06:23 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by djamps
I did exactly what you're planning except with a larger ported box and bigger amplifier, and I am not happy with it. Even with the sub removed very little makes it into the cabin from the trunk except for the extremely low end due to the gas tank. You'll be able to feel the really low notes but you'll be missing a big gap in the 60-120hz range which is where most music information is (unless all you listen to is trap music). Bass level sounds mediocre inside the car but when you open the trunk and stand behind the car it's actually blasting so loud you could hear it a half mile away. Great for tailgates but terrible for freeways. Total waste of power! IMO you might better off tossing a high power sub and amp in the factory location which is my next plan.
This sounds like the sub box is tuned for too low a frequency and the amp crossover isn't set up properly.

Also that you need to open more airflow between the trunk and the cabin.

an Infinite Baffle/Free Air setup similar to the stock config can't take nearly as much power, will require reinforcement, and only certain subs are capable of it.
Old 08-15-16, 06:40 PM
djamps
Intermediate

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
This sounds like the sub box is tuned for too low a frequency and the amp crossover isn't set up properly.

Also that you need to open more airflow between the trunk and the cabin.

an Infinite Baffle/Free Air setup similar to the stock config can't take nearly as much power, will require reinforcement, and only certain subs are capable of it.
It's a JL sub with the exact enclosure specs -- volume and tuning -- as specified by the manual. I installed custom audio/video systems for almost 10 years in my past career and know all about that stuff -- the tuning is spot on. The LS's trunk is simply too isolated -- both by design and by the fact there's a huge gas tank behind the back seat. Combined with the overall length of the car, the standing wave frequency very low at the front seat. Sitting in the back seat you get a fairly good SPL and frequency response -- but the front seat lacks. The only way to get good flat/clean bass above 60hz in the front of the cab from the trunk is either free-air or a blow-thru design, which is difficult with the limited space on and below the rear shelf. I have to admit this vehicle is probably one of the biggest sub-audio challenges I've faced due to that damn gas tank location . I'd love to have a 4th order bandpass piped up thru that sub hole, but I also need trunk space which the gas tank is taking. I had two accords in the past -- one I fired a 4th order thru the ski-hole and it sounded absolutely amazing...another without a ski hole -- I fired it thru the rear deck (no gas tank in the way) -- same result. damn this car lol.

Last edited by djamps; 08-15-16 at 06:52 PM.
Old 08-15-16, 06:58 PM
djamps
Intermediate

I'll also say I think the OP's choice in sub will probably sound 'louder' than the stock sub. But not as much louder as maybe expected. And sounding 'better' is subjective -- depending on the type of music he/she listens to e/g freq response.
Old 08-15-16, 09:47 PM
hotdawwg
Pole Position

My nak sub is trust tired... It's set in the middle and still sounds blown... I am not looking to rattle my trunk around. I want good depth and sound with a little bump...
Old 08-16-16, 09:12 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

i have this in my trunk
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...r-VCVR124.html