LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Progress thread - UCF21 Timing belt and valve covers

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-16, 05:14 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Rock auto did a good job on the packaging of the timing belt kit, lots of separate boxes and good packing job.
Old 08-31-16, 03:06 PM
djamps
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

2nd post updated with valve cover progress!
Old 09-01-16, 08:26 AM
djamps
Intermediate

Took advantage of the downtime while I still wait for parts.
Attached Thumbnails Progress thread - UCF21 Timing belt and valve covers-dsc_0508.jpg  
Old 09-01-16, 05:15 PM
djamps
Intermediate

Just realized my serpentine tensioner pulley bearing and fan bracket bearings are both on their way out. Even more parts to wait for... if anyone in the know can confirm:

Aisin FBT-002 - fan bracket (amazon says so?)
Gates 36119 - pulley (from this post)

Thanks...
Old 09-01-16, 05:21 PM
jaaa
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by djamps
Just realized my serpentine tensioner pulley bearing and fan bracket bearings are both on their way out. Even more parts to wait for... if anyone in the know can confirm:

Aisin FBT-002 - fan bracket (amazon says so?)
Gates 36119 - pulley (from this post)

Thanks...
Both of those went out on me in the 220k range, good idea on the replacement.
Old 09-02-16, 10:49 AM
djamps
Intermediate

So I decided to swap the motor mounts and as a precaution wanted to remove the heater control valve. And as fortune would have it, the inlet and outlet were just as brittle as the radiator neck and broke clean off like gingerbread. I got the peice lodged in the hose out by squeezing the hose. It fell out like cookie crumbs. LOL. Anything other plastic bits in the cooling system that share the same fate I should tackle now?
Old 09-02-16, 02:13 PM
bradland

Received 673 Likes on 549 Posts

If you haven't ordered the pulleys yet this post...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...t-numbers.html
might save you a little coin? It shows bearing part numbers for the tensioner pulley and the idler pulley so you don't have to buy the entire part. I doubt the bearing in the fan bracket can be serviced tho...
Old 09-03-16, 09:52 AM
djamps
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bradland
If you haven't ordered the pulleys yet this post...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...t-numbers.html
might save you a little coin? It shows bearing part numbers for the tensioner pulley and the idler pulley so you don't have to buy the entire part. I doubt the bearing in the fan bracket can be serviced tho...
The gates tensioner pulley is only $20 which is cheap enough for me, especially if I don't have to press out bearings. And from my research it does indeed appear that the fan bracket must be bought as a whole. The idler pulley it makes some slight noise, but spins freely unlike the other two, so I'm not going to replace it at this time.

Last edited by djamps; 09-03-16 at 10:23 AM.
Old 09-03-16, 01:56 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Fan bracket would be very difficult to change the bearing in, may need modifications to do it.
Old 09-03-16, 05:29 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 410 Likes on 348 Posts

The gates tensioner pulley is only $20 which is cheap enough for me, especially if I don't have to press out bearings. And from my research it does indeed appear that the fan bracket must be bought as a whole. The idler pulley it makes some slight noise, but spins freely unlike the other two, so I'm not going to replace it at this time.
Buy the entire pulley and tensionet assembly ftom Lexus for $50-60. For 1998-2000 it is the same price for seperate pulley as for pulley/tensioner assembly...

The idler pulley should make ZERO noise. If it makes any noise then replace it. Use OEM parts...

The Aisin fan bracket is available from Rock Auto
Old 09-04-16, 10:06 AM
djamps
Intermediate

Originally Posted by YODAONE
Buy the entire pulley and tensionet assembly ftom Lexus for $50-60. For 1998-2000 it is the same price for seperate pulley as for pulley/tensioner assembly...

The idler pulley should make ZERO noise. If it makes any noise then replace it. Use OEM parts...

The Aisin fan bracket is available from Rock Auto
I ordered an OEM/Aisin fan bracket. I ended up using the gates tensioner pulley from the local parts store, it fit perfectly, I guess time will tell how long it lasts. The idler pulley seems to use an odd bearing which is no longer made so I don't think it's going to be cheap on the OEM route. What is the OEM part number for that?
Old 09-04-16, 12:48 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

I ordered an OEM/Aisin fan bracket. I ended up using the gates tensioner pulley from the local parts store, it fit perfectly, I guess time will tell how long it lasts. The idler pulley seems to use an odd bearing which is no longer made so I don't think it's going to be cheap on the OEM route. What is the OEM part number for that?
Here are Lexus stock codes; 166040F010 ; 1660450010; 1660450030

The first is, I believe, the latest revision.

You might want to revisit your decision to only replace tensioner pulley....

The tensioner spring loses tension over time and is a wear component...

Your serpentine belt will have more flop and whip.

This puts additional strain on the accessories bearings that have to absorb it....

Old 09-06-16, 09:13 PM
djamps
Intermediate

Got the replacement pump and managed to get the timing belt on. It was so tight it was practically impossible to get the belt over the right cam gear without scoring or damaging it. Ended up removing the tensioner pulley which gave me enough slack to get the belt fully on, then reinstalled the tensioner and then pulled the pin from the hydraulic spring, which barely did anything since the belt was already fairly tight. Before I removed the pulley, there was really no amount of tweaking the cam gears that could give me enough slack. Anyone else face similar difficulty?

Also what are your thoughts on the rubber o-rings on the heater connections to the water pump? The ones I removed were covered in FIPG. I cleaned it all off and went with just the new o-rings lubed with some bearing grease.

Last edited by djamps; 09-06-16 at 09:19 PM.
Old 09-06-16, 11:07 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Did you replace the timing belt idler shaft # 13556 and washer plate 90201-10101 ? See atta

ched parts diagram...

I understand this is a wear item and is thus coated with special lubricant....which is not provided in timing belt kit...
Old 09-06-16, 11:12 PM
djamps
Intermediate

Nope, did not replace those two parts (shoulder bolt and washer it looks like you're referring to). I did toss some blue loctite on the threads, since I didn't feel comfortable with - what I felt as being - relatively low torquing specs.

Last edited by djamps; 09-06-16 at 11:16 PM.

Quick Reply: Progress thread - UCF21 Timing belt and valve covers