LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Bagged Ride Quality

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-16, 04:48 PM
whitebread
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bagged Ride Quality

Aloha, been lurking a while and recently acquired an UCF10 with relatively low miles for a project. I need to replace the current suspension witch is Megan Coilover/Bag set up, honestly it rides like ***** and the front struts blown out this week. My management is Accuair E Level and I was happy with it but the previous owners install/wiring was a rats nest and after nearly caught fire idk how much if it is salvageable. I was leaning toward air runner as I have driven cars with that set up in the past but I like to hear input from what others have experienced and put together. What are you riding on and how do you like the ride. Budget wise I'd like to stay under 5k. The LS is a 94 40k milage wise and well maintained (with service records) minus the suspension woes. For reference ill be running 19/20 with pretty aggressive offsets but no crazy camber, I need to iron out the suspension before any wheels are built. Mahalo in advance.
Attached Thumbnails Bagged Ride Quality-img_3340.jpg  
Old 09-21-16, 07:29 AM
Stereotype
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by whitebread
Aloha, been lurking a while and recently acquired an UCF10 with relatively low miles for a project. I need to replace the current suspension witch is Megan Coilover/Bag set up, honestly it rides like ***** and the front struts blown out this week. My management is Accuair E Level and I was happy with it but the previous owners install/wiring was a rats nest and after nearly caught fire idk how much if it is salvageable. I was leaning toward air runner as I have driven cars with that set up in the past but I like to hear input from what others have experienced and put together. What are you riding on and how do you like the ride. Budget wise I'd like to stay under 5k. The LS is a 94 40k milage wise and well maintained (with service records) minus the suspension woes. For reference ill be running 19/20 with pretty aggressive offsets but no crazy camber, I need to iron out the suspension before any wheels are built. Mahalo in advance.
Air ride suspension can be a bit tricky to dial in the ride, especially with ls's having a bag over coil setup. First, remember that most of the ride is going to be based off the coilovers, so find a good set of coils that ride comfortable to you. your bag ride quality also relies on how much pressure is in the bags (how high you ride). higher ride=stiffer ride. Once that is all figured out you can figure out your dampening, spring load, spring rate, etc. quite a few people with air ride on here im sure they can chime in as well.
Old 09-22-16, 05:57 AM
Suprjdmbro
Rookie

*disclosure*- I've never OWNED a car with air ride...however I have a lot of UCF10/20 friends with air ride, and I've driven/worked on tons of other chassis with air ride. My consensus, the best ride and performance comes from a uas setup; BC racing dampers and uas bags are a winning combo. I personally really like a firm ride, and the BC/UAS combo delivers that without being bouncy or too harsh. In my opinion, the air struts ride too soft. All of this being said, both of my cars have PBM coils on them, and they are by far the best coilovers I have ever owned; when i recoup some funds, my daily (UCF10) will be getting PBM air ride as well. PBM air ride is admittedly going to be more expensive, but I think it will be a quality setup. As far as management, I personally really like auto pilot v2, although it is kind of dated at this point, its really easy to install and stupid easy to operate.

Good luck!