LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Rear Lower Control Arm Snapped

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-16, 06:52 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by dicer
Yeah possible the upper pivot bushings are on the way out. And notice how those bushing eyes area factory welded on. That is a better picture of the lower arm, and it does have a bunch of rust pitting that could have caused a stress riser that a crack could start at, but still. Why not make it stronger? If you compared those parts to an old 50's chevy these pursuit of perfection parts are very lacking. Now body and paint and rust protection for the body Lexus wins big time. But with power train and suspension component materials and rigidity the old chevy wins. Lexus could have added another 100 or more pounds of stronger materials and better design to the suspension. There is a reason the suspensions do not last long in these cars, it is one of my major gripes about them. That control arm should be a safety recall item, a lot of people could have died if it wasn't for a good driver (you), that is depending on how crowed the road was when it happened. Having an issue at speed with the rear end is the worse thing that can happen. That is why police do that pit maneuver to spin the cars out when chasing them. I've had a front tire blow out years ago the front tire is a better option than the rear to have a problem with .
I'm going to have to check mine out and see if they are similar.
if you compared the design and materials they used in the 50's compared to the early 90's you'd understand why. Visual indicators are useless in engineering. Want to keep going on about how Lexus/Toyota skimped on this or that, great. I'll start caring when you have some engineering data to back up any of your claims.

This component lasted 21 years without issue or 100% maintenance in the rust belt. I think it was designed and manufactured just fine.
Old 10-21-16, 07:24 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

" Visual indicators are useless in engineering" Are you an engineer?
So then lexus employed blind engineers to design the suspension components? Sorry that was a funny statement you posted. I'm just wondering why they would used NDT on some of the parts we make, since that is all "Visual". The engineering data is the failed part and the low mile worn out suspension components and proof that accelerated tests don't weed out all the problems that actual time can, so yes its data just like it would be data during and after the accelerated test program was completed. You say the component lasted 21 years, so? There are some old engines that have parts in them that have lasted way over 100 years and are not broke, and they didn't have FEA in those days. And yes same old stress coat is used now as it was back then, and it is totally a VISUAL INDICATOR.

Last edited by dicer; 10-21-16 at 07:37 AM.
Old 10-23-16, 10:16 AM
m0ist
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i need help

I CANNOT get this stupid bolt out for the life of me. Nut is off. Tried heat, oil, sledge hammer, yelling at it, etc. It will NOT budge. Am I missing something???

Anyway...Yes it is a poor design. My FSAE car probably had a thicker wall on its control arms. Gen 1s have a better design in my opinion.

Can't speak on the wall thickness of the tubing, but the diameter certainly is larger on the replacement.
Attached Thumbnails Rear Lower Control Arm Snapped-img_20161023_124833.jpg   Rear Lower Control Arm Snapped-img_20161023_124853.jpg   Rear Lower Control Arm Snapped-img_20161023_125545.jpg  
Old 10-23-16, 11:27 AM
m0ist
Rookie

I think i need to cut this bolt. I need to get this done. I'm going on vacation Wednesday and I need my car. Anyone know the dimension of the camber bolt? Hoping i can get something at parts store.
Old 10-23-16, 02:04 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Camber bolts usually have an eccentric and that is needed for adjustment. I agree about the gen 1 design much stronger, shows how advancing in years can sometimes mean a regression in design. Does the bolt turn inside the arm?
Old 10-23-16, 02:12 PM
m0ist
Rookie

Camber bolts usually have an eccentric and that is needed for adjustment. I agree about the gen 1 design much stronger, shows how advancing in years can sometimes mean a regression in design. Does the bolt turn inside the arm?
yes this has two elliptical pieces for adjusting & measuring the camber degree. The nut side is just a washer type fitting, and the other side is attached to the actual bolt.

I am able to turn the bolt in a full rotation, but I cannot get the thing to move axially. The bushing on the control arm is preventing me from moving it, I think. Either I can blast it with a ton of heat, and melt the rubber entirely (seems unlikely) or cut the bolt off.

I am trying to source a camber bolt, but am striking out. I can't wait for something to ship.
Old 10-23-16, 02:17 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

I haven't done anything with those before so not real sure how it is constructed, do those side plates come off? Maybe the bolt needs to be in a certain position to remove it, have you tried that? If it turns freely in the old arm then something else is stopping it.
Old 10-23-16, 02:23 PM
m0ist
Rookie

I haven't done anything with those before so not real sure how it is constructed, do those side plates come off? Maybe the bolt needs to be in a certain position to remove it, have you tried that? If it turns freely in the old arm then something else is stopping it.
I dont think the bolt needs to be in a special position. It also may be that the bolt is bent inside the bushing sleeve, preventing it from moving. I've been hitting this bolt hard though. Surprised its not moving. Wish I had an air chisel or something of that nature.
Attached Thumbnails Rear Lower Control Arm Snapped-8906440.gif  
Old 10-23-16, 02:34 PM
djamps
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Have you tried an air or electric impact on the bolt? The constant impact along with pulling/pushing on the arm at various angles might help break the bolt loose from the bushing sleeve. Soaking in PB blaster for a few days (several applications) before hand might help as well.
Old 10-23-16, 02:40 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Yeah an air hammer should break it loose.
Old 10-23-16, 04:25 PM
m0ist
Rookie

Originally Posted by djamps
Have you tried an air or electric impact on the bolt? The constant impact along with pulling/pushing on the arm at various angles might help break the bolt loose from the bushing sleeve. Soaking in PB blaster for a few days (several applications) before hand might help as well.
unfortunately i do not have an impact. only hand tools as i live in the city and space is limited. maybe i'll make a tool run. ive been applying penetrating oil daily haha
Old 10-23-16, 04:47 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Okay a thing to try is a thick steel flat bar maybe 1.5 wide by 1/2 or a bit more thick and for length what ever will fit up in that side plate, use a spacer like a big nut on the upper end and put the other end on the stuck bolt, then use a very good c clamp as close to the stuck bolt as possible, tighten the clamp to hopefully push the bolt out. Just trying to figure a way to help ya.
Old 10-23-16, 04:58 PM
jaaa
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by m0ist
unfortunately i do not have an impact. only hand tools as i live in the city and space is limited. maybe i'll make a tool run. ive been applying penetrating oil daily haha
The general rule is to beat on what the bolt goes through. I'd take a BFH and go at it right in the center to break it loose.
Old 10-23-16, 07:31 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

rusty bolts are fun.

PB blaster and an air hammer.
Old 10-23-16, 10:35 PM
plexus914
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You will need an angle grinder for that camber bolt.

Quick Reply: Rear Lower Control Arm Snapped