LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

How much would a body shop be?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-16 | 06:58 PM
winter4w
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jaaa
I'd tale that offer. I know when I've bought rattle can matched paint, it is around $50/$60 for two cans of matched paint and a can of clear. For the lower clad, you could go with the rattle can, but you'd have to mask it off(but still won't exactly match).
Originally Posted by dicer
So whats wrong with that deal? As long as they are not painting the whole door and just spotting and detailing it that's a good deal.

I am probably going to go with them since they have awesome reviews on Yelp, Facebook and Google. Looking at the images they posted it looks like real good work. Looks like that nothing has happened at all. This is what they responded in a email I sent
Yes I can fix that. To repair that rocker panel correctly we will remove it from the car and sand it out and repaint it. About $300. We use a computerized color matching system to match the color. As far as OEM paint, only the manufacturer that built the car has that original paint. Nothing to worry about though because I have a lifetime warranty on my paint work.
So not the whole door gets repainted just the panel. I am not sure if advertising is allowed on the this form, if it is then I will be happy to share you guys the name of the place
Old 11-02-16 | 06:37 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Just the panel? Whats that mean? It should be just a small spot getting painted.
Old 11-04-16 | 07:32 AM
m0ist
Rookie

Get a rag and rub a small amount of brake fluid or kerosene on it. Make sure you clean it and reapply wax after you're finished.
Old 11-04-16 | 01:52 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

NEVER PUT BRAKE FLUID ON THE PAINT. Come on that is like paint remover. You can use isopropyl alcohol to clean a small area in a pinch. Kerosene will leave a small amount of oiliness on the paint. Naphtha will work and is what they sometimes use in paint prep solvent, or even simple paint thinner. But best to go to a body paint store and get the correct stuff.
Old 11-05-16 | 07:07 AM
Mugen_1
Instructor
CL Folding 100000

As someone who not only owns the exact same color car and also runs a body shop in which it was fixed, I can tell you that to keep the lower panels consistent in color, you will need to have them painted wheel-to-wheel (fender trim, doors and quarter). Mine got backed into the left rear door and we tried just painting the cladding on just that door and the quarter as I was trying to save the relative that backed into it some money. We had to paint the front and fender trim too to match. The new paint on the rear door was pretty much a dead-on match to the 19-year old pearl on the front (we blended the quarter). Mine was damaged much worse than yours and mine ran about $1,200, so yours shouldn't be that high.
Old 11-07-16 | 12:43 PM
m0ist
Rookie

Originally Posted by dicer
NEVER PUT BRAKE FLUID ON THE PAINT. Come on that is like paint remover. You can use isopropyl alcohol to clean a small area in a pinch. Kerosene will leave a small amount of oiliness on the paint. Naphtha will work and is what they sometimes use in paint prep solvent, or even simple paint thinner. But best to go to a body paint store and get the correct stuff.
That is kind of the point. As long as your don't let it sit on your paint for a long time, brake fluid will work wonders. It's worth a shot if he's going to get his panel repainted anyway.
Old 11-08-16 | 01:47 PM
winter4w
Intermediate

Ok well figured ill post a update since some people would like to know whats going on

So my Mecanic recommended me someone who has worked on Lexus cars for 28 years. He also has a friend who has a LS400 with 300K+ Miles. Anyways he said to fix the gray panel it will be $300 and to fix the door $650. To fix the panel he told me to try some touch up paint and see how it looks. He also said I may be able to find a panel online for a cheaper price and just replace that. As for the door on the side $650 seems like a good price to me from reading people paying 1K+ for something like that. I am in no rush to get it fixed but I will post pictures when its finished

If you want to share your thoughts ill be interested in reading them Also I am thinking of getting a bra for my hood and mirrors. Any recommendations?