LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Annoying Clunk Sound- Strut Bar (The Mother thread)

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-12, 08:06 PM
anesthesia
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Last month I replaced both my front strut rod bushing, I still hearing a clicking/clunck noise only on driver side going over bump or drive way, not sure what part I need to replace next? Anyone know the next thing that it could be after replacing the strut rod bushing?
Old 12-30-12, 12:31 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

did you check the LBJ and UPB/UCA for play?
Old 12-30-12, 10:14 AM
anesthesia
Pole Position

Those are the 2 things I might have to replace to get rid of this dreaded clucking/ thud noise, it's not going to be cheap
Old 12-30-12, 02:06 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

check them (or have them checked) for play first so you don't waste money...

and LBJ are relatively cheap, <$80/each new from lexus iirc.
Old 12-30-12, 03:17 PM
anesthesia
Pole Position

Thanks PureDrifter
Old 01-15-13, 12:21 PM
yoitskenn
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by anesthesia
Last month I replaced both my front strut rod bushing, I still hearing a clicking/clunck noise only on driver side going over bump or drive way, not sure what part I need to replace next? Anyone know the next thing that it could be after replacing the strut rod bushing?
Same here. Replaced my steering shaft too. Noise still present.
Old 01-15-13, 09:54 PM
Kidrock
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91 Ls400 clunking sound

So it looks like I have the dreaded Control arm issue. Its a 1991 LS400 with 132k miles. The weird thing about the issue is that after driving the car for 15-20 minutes the clunking goes away. At first I thought it might be the shocks and still have not determined the root cause. I know I need shocks as so can the clunking noise be coming from the shocks? Also, whats the difference between the upper and lower control arms and should they be both replaced?

I searched for parts and saw that Lexls reccomends the following:

Amazon Amazon

Or found thes:

http://www.carpartswarehouse.com/parts/93-80025_K2.html

and these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-LE...0628d1&vxp=mtr
Old 01-15-13, 10:13 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 82 Likes on 40 Posts

do the strut rods first, seems like they are usually the first to go, even before control arms
Old 01-19-13, 07:03 PM
stanls400
Driver School Candidate

+subscribe

searching "strut rod bushing"

Last edited by stanls400; 01-19-13 at 07:11 PM.
Old 01-19-13, 08:12 PM
PlotPoint
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
do the strut rods first, seems like they are usually the first to go, even before control arms
not sway bar bushings and end links? my car has the dreaded front end clunking and after reading up in some of the threads here ... that is what i thought i might try first
Old 01-19-13, 09:45 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

not sway bar bushings and end links? my car has the dreaded front end clunking and after reading up in some of the threads here ... that is what i thought i might try first
ask PD - he is the suspension guru, not me
Old 01-20-13, 07:09 AM
j2b4o
Pole Position

My upper ball joints(part of control arm) were totally shot beyond the point of safety at about 120k. I was able to move the top of the wheel in twords the body of the car with I sitting on the ground. Check the upper arm ASAP. My srb's and sway bar bushings were bad also but the majority of "clunk" came from the UCA's. The srb is up front it's easy to see from under the car and real easy to replace. Inspect these and the rest of the bushings/joints on the front end to determine what is wrong.

I try'd 2 different upper arms, I trid a Beck/Arnley and a Doorman. The beck was not what I expected from them as far as quality fit and finish but the Doorman was spot on the exact same as OEM. Most people highly recomend the OEM arms but they are like $500+. The Arnott arms are crap and there is plenty of hate for them here. I have put close to 20k on both my upper arms now with 0 problems. I think Lexus is the only supplier for the srb's.
Old 01-20-13, 08:24 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by j2b4o
My upper ball joints(part of control arm) were totally shot beyond the point of safety at about 120k. I was able to move the top of the wheel in twords the body of the car with I sitting on the ground. Check the upper arm ASAP. My srb's and sway bar bushings were bad also but the majority of "clunk" came from the UCA's. The srb is up front it's easy to see from under the car and real easy to replace. Inspect these and the rest of the bushings/joints on the front end to determine what is wrong.

I try'd 2 different upper arms, I trid a Beck/Arnley and a Doorman. The beck was not what I expected from them as far as quality fit and finish but the Doorman was spot on the exact same as OEM. Most people highly recomend the OEM arms but they are like $500+. The Arnott arms are crap and there is plenty of hate for them here. I have put close to 20k on both my upper arms now with 0 problems. I think Lexus is the only supplier for the srb's.

This is the kind of post that keeps me coming back to this site!
Old 01-20-13, 01:25 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by PlotPoint
clunking will be dead strut rod bushings.

Originally Posted by j2b4o

IIRC dorman isn't a manufacturer and just a reboxer, so the ones you got may not be the same everyone else gets... not sure on that though.
Old 01-21-13, 03:14 PM
Kidrock
Driver School Candidate

So I'm ready to get underneath and start working on this issue over the weekend......the only thing that gets me is after driving 5-8 miles the sound goes away? Could it just be the shocks?

Quick Reply: Annoying Clunk Sound- Strut Bar (The Mother thread)