LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Lights dimming and car loses power now and then.

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-16, 09:46 AM
magnificen
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lights dimming and car loses power now and then.

Hello all! So yesterday I was on my way to work when I noticed my dash lights begin to dim and radio cut off and on constantly. I recently replaced the alternator so I am hoping it is not the problem. When I parked and killed the power to the car, I tried to start it back up. Cabin and dash lights were on but got this clicking sound. Now after work, I tried starting the car and came right to life. Assuming it was a weak battery I had a friend jump start it and looked like it was holding the charge until I began to drive. Same symptoms until 30 seconds later, my car was fine and was driving normally. Made it all the way home. Just started it up after all night and came to life. New battery or just continue to drive/charge battery?
Old 12-23-16, 09:51 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

First suspect is main battery connections, and ground. Next alternator, next battery. Connections not tight, or corroded? Even check the connection on the alternator.
The following users liked this post:
Oseberg (01-11-17)
Old 12-23-16, 09:55 AM
Shaud843
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had a similar problem about a month ago, called the shop where I got the battery from and they said the model I had was probably the problem. They replaced the battery and no problems since.
Old 12-23-16, 09:58 AM
djamps
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Either the battery connections or the ground connections from the battery to the frame. Known failure point on the LS.
Old 12-23-16, 10:01 AM
magnificen
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dicer
First suspect is main battery connections, and ground. Next alternator, next battery. Connections not tight, or corroded? Even check the connection on the alternator.
Connectioms seem to be a tight fit. I do have a bit of corrosion around the connectors. I'll try cleaning them up. Still going to stop to AutoZone for a charge. I'll update after. Thanks!
Old 12-23-16, 10:06 AM
magnificen
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Shaud843
Had a similar problem about a month ago, called the shop where I got the battery from and they said the model I had was probably the problem. They replaced the battery and no problems since.
Yea. It's likely my battery coming to think of it (just remembered about a month ago was out with friends and a drink or two isn't really best before you turn on your cabin lights at 4am looking for your phone and leaving them on all night) so I'll check that out
Old 12-23-16, 03:03 PM
magnificen
Driver School Candidate

Default Update:

Alright so my battery power turned out to be low probably due to leaving it on. Got it charge at AutoZone but my headlamps and dash light indicator for the lights seem to be a bit dim. I don't know if the battery needs charging time from the alternator but everything else seems fine. Car starts up with no whine or studder. But any idea on why my headlights are dim?
Old 12-24-16, 05:50 AM
Losiracer2
Racer

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

if you replaced your alternator with an Autozone one, then that's likely your problem. They have terrible quality control (Made in Mexico) and in most cases it takes sometimes two or three different ones before you get one that works properly. I had this happen in my Honda, after 3 I returned it, got my money back and opted for a remanufactured Denso unit that was almost 75% more, but worked perfectly first time.
Old 12-26-16, 02:51 PM
magnificen
Driver School Candidate

Default Update:

So I just got my car back from the shop (tiresplus) and looks like everything is okay. I only drive it from the shop to home so I didn't have enough time to really test it out. I have a warranty on the alternator, a manufacture warranty, so I can get it replaced if anything else. Plus my battery is also changed so my car should have some life for a while. Will update after a week. Considering buying a voltmeter to occasionally check the current of the battery to check if the alter is completely charging the battery up. Thanks all!
Old 01-08-17, 12:21 AM
Chaly
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a 96 is and it turned out to be fuses by the battery, may wanna have them checked out. I replaced two alternators before I found out that was the issue.
Old 01-09-17, 02:07 PM
timmy0tool

Received 422 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by magnificen
So I just got my car back from the shop (tiresplus) and looks like everything is okay. I only drive it from the shop to home so I didn't have enough time to really test it out. I have a warranty on the alternator, a manufacture warranty, so I can get it replaced if anything else. Plus my battery is also changed so my car should have some life for a while. Will update after a week. Considering buying a voltmeter to occasionally check the current of the battery to check if the alter is completely charging the battery up. Thanks all!
there was a niffy little volt meter that plugs into you cig lighter which can tell you the voltage levels. very handy when trying to test your charging system.
Old 01-09-17, 11:11 PM
GH5T
Pole Position

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
there was a niffy little volt meter that plugs into you cig lighter which can tell you the voltage levels. very handy when trying to test your charging system.
where can I find one?
Old 01-10-17, 12:31 AM
Yamae

Received 886 Likes on 668 Posts

Originally Posted by GH5T
where can I find one?
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...uld-spend.html
It's $2.34 today.
Old 01-10-17, 10:28 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by magnificen
It's always nice thinking you've got a warranty on a part... but that does not cover removal of said failed part and replacement labor. Only the cost of the part. Should the part go bad, you'll have to pay for the labor to remove and install. That is my experience.
And second Autozone experience above... I don't even take my recycled oil there.