LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

LS400 vs Toyota Celsior (late, first generation 1997-1999)

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-17, 08:26 PM
danzafar
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool LS400 vs Toyota Celsior (late, first generation 1997-1999)

Hi all,

New to the forum, so I apologize if this has been discussed already. What are the major differences between the USDM LS400 versus the JDM Toyota Celsior, 1997-1999? Is there marked difference in quality of the components? The JDMs have cloth interiors, from what I can see. I've read somewhere that the JDM version's engine's tuning is bit different, for a more 'spirited' driving experience.

Planning on importing a JDM Celsior, so I wanted to know if those are any less "luxurious" than the USDM LS400s.

Thanks a lot.
Old 01-29-17, 09:35 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 256 Likes on 202 Posts

Japanese market Celsior versions range from low optioned "plain Jane" with steel springs and a simple rear bench seat to highly optioned with air suspension, separate rear electrically adjustable climate control seats with massage, rear HVAC and audio controls, and a rear TV screen in the roof.

I think leather was available but cloth was extremely popular and the same extremely high grade material used in the Toyota Century limousine and which was standard in the early LS400 sold in the U.S. My 1990 LS400 had the cloth interior and it was nothing like the cloth in our Camry. The cloth upholstery in my 1990 LS400 still looked like new when I sold the car in 2003 although I never even once allowed food to be consumed in it during the 13 1/2 years I owned it.

Last edited by Kansas; 01-29-17 at 09:41 AM.
The following users liked this post:
danzafar (01-29-17)
Old 01-29-17, 03:56 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 241 Likes on 182 Posts

apart from the obvious difference of the steering wheel being on the right side, there are several major differences when it comes to options. the celsior came in 3 basic trims: A, B, and C, with C being the most highly optioned. the celsior was available with radar cruise control heated reclining and massaging REAR seats, an interior air purification system (the japanese smoke a lot), the front passenger seat backrest had a pass-through that allowed the passenger behind to fully extend their legs and rest them on the seat cushion of the front passenger seat, the back seat also has audio controls, and they had air suspension like Kansas mentioned.

in japan the celsior was frequently used as a chauffeur-driven car so there was generally more emphasis on rear seat comfort. also since fabric is considered more luxurious than leather in japan most celsiors didn't have leather seats. i'm not sure about the engine tuning, but the celsior does have a difference axle ratio than the LS. so to answer your question, the celsior was MORE luxurious than the LS, when specified so.
Old 01-29-17, 05:33 PM
danzafar
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kansas
Japanese market Celsior versions range from low optioned "plain Jane" with steel springs and a simple rear bench seat to highly optioned with air suspension, separate rear electrically adjustable climate control seats with massage, rear HVAC and audio controls, and a rear TV screen in the roof.

I think leather was available but cloth was extremely popular and the same extremely high grade material used in the Toyota Century limousine and which was standard in the early LS400 sold in the U.S. My 1990 LS400 had the cloth interior and it was nothing like the cloth in our Camry. The cloth upholstery in my 1990 LS400 still looked like new when I sold the car in 2003 although I never even once allowed food to be consumed in it during the 13 1/2 years I owned it.
Originally Posted by Stroock639
apart from the obvious difference of the steering wheel being on the right side, there are several major differences when it comes to options. the celsior came in 3 basic trims: A, B, and C, with C being the most highly optioned. the celsior was available with radar cruise control heated reclining and massaging REAR seats, an interior air purification system (the japanese smoke a lot), the front passenger seat backrest had a pass-through that allowed the passenger behind to fully extend their legs and rest them on the seat cushion of the front passenger seat, the back seat also has audio controls, and they had air suspension like Kansas mentioned.

in japan the celsior was frequently used as a chauffeur-driven car so there was generally more emphasis on rear seat comfort. also since fabric is considered more luxurious than leather in japan most celsiors didn't have leather seats. i'm not sure about the engine tuning, but the celsior does have a difference axle ratio than the LS. so to answer your question, the celsior was MORE luxurious than the LS, when specified so.
Most comprehensive input. Thank you!

Last edited by danzafar; 01-29-17 at 08:54 PM. Reason: spelling