LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

handling modifications

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-03, 06:18 PM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default handling modifications

What have you done to your LS400 to make it handle better then stock? I see there are a lot of choices for the GS but I don't know what's out there for the LS.

Thanks.
Old 05-26-03, 10:48 AM
BrianV
Driver

#1 investment = tires. They are going to help you the most without killing your LS ride quality.

Everything else would make the car ride worse.

Sway bars would stiffen the chassis up and increase traction, as would lowering the car with higher spring rate springs.
Old 05-26-03, 10:52 AM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

if the car is lowered how bad will the ride decrease? I know theLS has a real smooth ride but it can get floaty at times much like the GS.
Old 05-26-03, 10:54 AM
BrianV
Driver

Most people claim it's still not too bad, but even people with Civics that are slammed 2.5" tend to say that. This is my 4th car, my past 3 have all been lowered, and lowering killed 2/3 cars. Rattles came, suspensions components wore faster, road noise was higher, steering alignment got worse, etc. I'm keeping mine stock for the time being, as I have the best riding car in the world, why trade that to make it handle a tad better? Even handling a tad better will make this car still handle worse then 90% of the cars out there. In my eyes it is not worth it.
Old 05-26-03, 11:16 AM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

I am thinking that lowering a little could give it better mannerisms and the person driving the car a bit more control. Fellow GS owners seem to express that after modifying their cars. I had a LS for a short time and the ride was great but it wallowed and I didn't like that so much. It wasn't new so I don't know how they are out of the showroom. I've had several lowered cars myself. The last one being a mustang that had konis and svo springs so I know what you are saying about lowered cars.
Old 05-26-03, 12:59 PM
BrianV
Driver

I bought my LS to be a supreme riding car, I did not buy it for the driving experience. I see it as, LS400 = people mover, extreme comfort, extreme quietness (a rider's car), IS300 = sporty people mover, great handling, great driving experience (a driver's car), GS = a mix between the two.

I had a newer Maxima before hand and it did well as a mix between the two, and I decided I wanted to go full on luxury. It was between the Q, the Cadillac STS, and the LS. All of which are horrible handling cars. I had later brought it down to the Caddy and the LS, and I went with the LS because of build quality and reputation. The Caddy had more power and more creature features.
Old 05-26-03, 01:27 PM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

I wouldn't say buying any of the bigger sedans would be for the driving experience. BMWs are known for having balance, and having some handling while offering some luxury. That's been their big selling point.

I am thinking of we might look for a third gen LS400 instead of a GS4xx to replace our GS300. These model years are suppose to have some suspension tweaks that would make it handle a little better then previous generations. We'll see. I'll just have to experience it at 80mph and see how it feels.
Old 05-26-03, 01:36 PM
BrianV
Driver

The new LS hands down OWNS. First of all, it's nearly the same straight line performance as the GS430. It has a .24 coef of drag which is the best of any car available (which makes it nearly as fast as the GS430 while weighing more). Also, with the ultra luxury package you offer your passengers a ride that the GS can't compare too. Also, if you're buying used the price difference between the LS and GS is 0, and in some cases the LS's are cheaper on the used market (98 LS cheaper then 98 GS400). The GS is at the end of its life, the design is 6 years old now, it's probably not wise to buy one immediately.
Old 05-26-03, 02:10 PM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

My wife likes the LS430! But it's a bit beyond our means at the moment. Well, not beyond our means, but the economy scares us so we don't want to be burden with too much debt.

My thinking exactly concerning the GS. I could get the top of the line car for nearly the same price or less then a GS400. I have been flip flopping btwn the two and I think the compromise is a little too much in the GS. It's definitely not as luxurious and it's not as sporty as it could be. I remind my wife how quiet and smooth the LS was. But I think I might be ruining that if I buy one and mod it. My other idea is to buy one, keep it stock, and we buy a mini cooper. It's for my wife but I will get to drive it a lot. So maybe, that's the ticket.
Old 05-26-03, 02:49 PM
BrianV
Driver

That's similar to how I feel, keep my LS stock and keep it as my cruising, people mover, etc. Then get a 300zx twin turbo, a supercharged miata, an sr20 powered 240, etc for my weekend sport's car.
Old 05-26-03, 05:49 PM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

How about rims? Do you think going to 18" wheel compromise the ride too much? I've used tirerack to see what the LS looks like and it looks good except for the famous Lexus wheel gap. That's gotta go.