LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

2005 Lexus LS Design & 4.6-liter Engine

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-03, 09:15 PM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've heard from somewhere that the Germans come up with the design and the Japanese copy it and make it even better than the Germans. But they really should come up with their own design. Like the new GX470, I sometimes mistake a GMC Envoy for a GX. It is really similar in design. The new RX330 looks similar to the FX45. But overall, Lexus makes fine quality cars.

2003 GX470
Sand Dollar Pearl
Charcoal Interior
6th in Fresno

1997 Honda Odyssey
LX, Tafetta White
Good as new with 100,000 miles.

1997 Honda CR-V
Silver, EX, Kenwood Stereo

1995 Mitsubishi Strada
Blue with beige cladding
Racing steering wheel
Old 06-03-03, 09:50 PM
S55inPA
Driver School Candidate

hi everyone,

this is my first post in enemy territory.
even though i drive an MB doesn't mean i don't like other brands.
like most people on this board i'm very curious what lexus is going to do
to freshen up their line up of cars. the gs is a great performer but well overdo for
new sheet metal. the ls is a competent car but bland in it's exterior design. i was shopping for
a new auto for my mother (64) and i was hoping that lexus would have something for her that
wouldn't be obsolete in 12 months but no such luck. i do believe this...if they don't
hit some homeruns with their new models the brand image will definetly suffer for years to come.
now is a perfect time for them to wow the car buying public. one of the big 3 luxury makers(BMW) keeps putting crappy designs that faithfull bmw fans don't even like. lexus could really pick up some new customers. suv's are hot right now but rebadging toyota trucks can only take them so far. i have to add this
....hopefully they will be original designs and not generic copies of competitors cars.
Old 06-06-03, 03:16 AM
95SC4
Rookie

I think this LS looks clean as hell, if its a copy of the A8 well... its atleast a nice looking one

I would like some styling with an identity, but if it meanswhat BMW has done.... I'd take my generic cookie cutter designs any day!!!
Old 06-06-03, 05:59 AM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't really think that the RX looks like the FX, they are two different shapes completely. The Lexus HPX concept looks like the FX, and the Chrysler Pacifica has some distinct RX characteristics.

As for Lexus copying other cars... I'm glad they are not doing what BMW has done with Chris Bangle, I hope he realizes he's ruining the image of the car.

I think I would rather have the bland design of Lexus than the hit you in the face design of the BMW. When the 7 series came out, people either loved it or hated it. I was in the middle, and now that the new 5 is coming out, I think I like the look of the 7 better than the 5. The 5 looks too girlish. Those Dame Edna headlights kill the whole car, and the taillights that flare up on the sides.... I don't like it.... I'm just waiting to see what Bangle does to the 3.

With Lexus hiding the new LS design so much, I would hope that it is definitely better than all these pictures we keep seeing. Mercedes has always had good designs, and I'm hoping that Lexus can keep up, I think BMW tried but tripped in the effort.

Anyway, I like Lexus designs now, but if they were more sleek and stylish then I think they would sell a lot more.
Old 06-06-03, 10:31 AM
azari
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the new BMW 7 series is just overdone... It's sort of obvious that BMW tired REALLY hard to impress people with this car (it's like a comedian who tires too hard to be funny, but nobody really laughs at his jokes and etc)... so the final product suffered. I like the looks of the previous generation 7 series much better. In my opinion, for this segment (luxury sedans), simple, yet classy and timeless lines are much more desirable as opposed to radical and "innoative" attempts. Examples of good, classy and timeless designs: last gen BMW 7, 1st gen Lexus LS400, last gen Audi 8s and some other cars (can't think of them now). With these cars, although there is no one that really catches your eyes and makes you say "wow," when you look at the entire car as a whole, you get a pleasant and sort of relaxing feeling (as if there is nothing in the design that bothers you) and so they age with grace.... but again, time and trends are changing, and who knows? maybe the next designs will be really different..
Old 06-06-03, 10:34 AM
azari
Intermediate

wow, so many spelling erros.... it's inovative
and later in the middle of paragraph, it's "although there is no one thing..."
Old 06-06-03, 10:38 AM
azari
Intermediate

see? this is what happens when you have only 5 minutes to spare before going to work, and yet want to post something on the internet.... lol ok, it's innovative..... jeezzzz, i'm leaving.... got to go to work see uuuuuuuuuuuu