LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Replaced ECU Cranks No start No spark

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-17, 06:15 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Me too Tubes to IC's. General FCC though not in 50's. Mercedes do need to be initialized but using a high end scan tool or the Star system. I suppose the stuff newer than a 94 LS needs to be set to communicate as well. All this thread was about a 90 that is obd1 gen 1 stuff, old school plug and play.
Old 04-12-17, 04:03 AM
Yamae

Received 882 Likes on 666 Posts

I assume what 5speedLS has experienced is related to the NEMURIKOMI (Japaese word) or sleeping problem of electrolytic capacitors. I'll explain about it later.

Those ECUs for any LS400/Celsior are designed to do a self power on initialization and within a few seconds after the power up, you can start the engine quickly. But the ECU needs some more time to learn to control the engine, the AT and some others. The idle speed and the AT shift timings are typical items of those. You need at least 30 minutes or more of driving to complete the learnings. The ECU doesn't need to learn anything special to start the engine.

But there is one important thing you have to remember. Electrolytic capacitors that have been stored for long periods of time without applying the voltage are in the mode of sleeping and the ESR becomes bigger, the leakage current increases and the capacitance becomes lower. You sometimes need hours to wake those up fully when stored in a very cold place for months but usually 1 hour is mostly enough when stored at room temperature. So when you use electrolytic capacitors, you'd better to buy ones not stored for long time. Or you have to wake those up applying the voltage if possible with some series resistor which limits the leakage current. We call it a voltage treatment process.

As I explain many times, a ECU for any LS400/Celsior needs low ESR electrolytic capacitors to work properly. When you use high ESR ones, the ECU malfunctions.
The following 2 users liked this post by Yamae:
cutecboy (05-23-19), RA40 (04-12-17)
Old 04-12-17, 06:11 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Htony
If you don't initialize the ECU after installing it, it'll never work. I am mentioning it already second time. Ask a knowledgeable techs. about this. Also peruse youtube
regarding how to do it. Takes about 30 minutes. If one knows anything about processor chips, ought to know what initialize means. Without initialize, the ECU is like
a brain dead animal. Can't perform as an ECU.
so your saying after the caps are replaced u have to perform this? if so,my caps were replaced and it was plug and play..i have a 92.
Old 04-12-17, 06:49 AM
Banshee365
Instructor

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Yamae
I assume what 5speedLS has experienced is related to the NEMURIKOMI (Japaese word) or sleeping problem of electrolytic capacitors. I'll explain about it later.

Those ECUs for any LS400/Celsior are designed to do a self power on initialization and within a few seconds after the power up, you can start the engine quickly. But the ECU needs some more time to learn to control the engine, the AT and some others. The idle speed and the AT shift timings are typical items of those. You need at least 30 minutes or more of driving to complete the learnings. The ECU doesn't need to learn anything special to start the engine.

But there is one important thing you have to remember. Electrolytic capacitors that have been stored for long periods of time without applying the voltage are in the mode of sleeping and the ESR becomes bigger, the leakage current increases and the capacitance becomes lower. You sometimes need hours to wake those up fully when stored in a very cold place for months but usually 1 hour is mostly enough when stored at room temperature. So when you use electrolytic capacitors, you'd better to buy ones not stored for long time. Or you have to wake those up applying the voltage if possible with some series resistor which limits the leakage current. We call it a voltage treatment process.

As I explain many times, a ECU for any LS400/Celsior needs low ESR electrolytic capacitors to work properly. When you use high ESR ones, the ECU malfunctions.
You're too smart Yamae.
Old 04-15-17, 01:53 PM
TREYFIGGS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I can't find how to initialize on YouTube.....anyone habe a link. I have a 1990 LS400 will I even need to do that? Or is it plug and play? I am lost. I'm used to old Chevy's ��. Amy help still be much appreciated.
Thank you in advance for the help.
Trey