LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

ATF capacity per dipstick marks.

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-17, 09:26 PM
Elless400
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default ATF capacity per dipstick marks.

After doing extensive work on my 96 LS400 recently, my ATF level's down a bit. After a freeway drive, I checked the level while idling and it was just hitting the bottom of the "hot" section of the dipstick.

I'm still relatively unfamiliar with this vehicle. Does anyone know about how much T-IV will get from the bottom to the top of the hot section?

I ask because I'd like to top up before work and drive the car tomorrow, it's late now, and properly checking the level and filling bit by bit till I'm familiar's a little cumbersome.

Thanks again, team!
Old 05-01-17, 09:39 PM
Superfast1
Advanced

Received 121 Likes on 83 Posts

If yours is at the bottom of the hot mark then 1 quart will get you to the top of the hot mark.
Old 05-01-17, 10:46 PM
Elless400
Driver

Originally Posted by Superfast1
If yours is at the bottom of the hot mark then 1 quart will get you to the top of the hot mark.
Thank you for heads up! I'll make it happen in the morning before work. Thanks again. Quick reply.
Old 05-02-17, 12:33 AM
Losiracer2
Racer

Received 211 Likes on 171 Posts

I used about 3 qts for a drain and refill with replacing the filter, so that meant removing the pan as well.
Old 05-02-17, 12:15 PM
timmy0tool

Received 426 Likes on 380 Posts

this goes for the oil dipstick too. bottom to top mark is a delta of roughly 1 quart.
Old 05-02-17, 01:05 PM
Banshee365
Instructor

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

I feel like one fill quart is quite a lot from the bottom of the hot range to the top of the hot range.

Why not just not bother figuring out how much it takes to move a fluid up a certain distance on the stick and just add fluid a little at a time until it's where you want? Better than overfilling.
Old 05-02-17, 02:22 PM
Elless400
Driver

It was a time constraint thing, Banshee. It would have taken multiple drives to get it perfect. I erred on the side of caution and tossed 1/2 a quart in there before my drive to work. I'll check the level when I get home and we'll see...
Old 05-02-17, 02:30 PM
Banshee365
Instructor

Originally Posted by Elless400
It was a time constraint thing, Banshee. It would have taken multiple drives to get it perfect. I erred on the side of caution and tossed 1/2 a quart in there before my drive to work. I'll check the level when I get home and we'll see...
Multiple drives? Add some, check it, add some, check it. No drives required, it just has to be running.
Old 05-02-17, 04:54 PM
Losiracer2
Racer

Received 211 Likes on 171 Posts

Wouldn't this be noted in the owners manual? I believe the oil change information regarding the upper mark and lower mark is, but I can't confirm that that the transmission marks would also be there.
Old 05-03-17, 09:06 AM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Banshee365
I feel like one fill quart is quite a lot from the bottom of the hot range to the top of the hot range.

Why not just not bother figuring out how much it takes to move a fluid up a certain distance on the stick and just add fluid a little at a time until it's where you want? Better than overfilling.
I agree, I believe the engine is more tolerant to oil level, so the standard thing that most cars do is to make the distance between the marks one quart/liter, mainly for convenience. But ATF seems to need more precision in most cars I'm familiar with.

I checked my 1991 owner's manual quickly, and there is nothing about it being one quart or liter between marks. Also, the figure in the owner's manual shows a much smaller gap (like 2/3 as big) on the dipstick for the cold range vs. the hot range.

If you want to calculate how many mm one liter should add to the dipstick level reading, you could just divide 1,000,000 mm^3 (volume of a liter ~ quart) by the area of the AT pan (in mm^2). So if the pan is 30x50cm (just a wild guess), then the answer would be 6.7mm, for example.

Or you could just add a little at a time.

BTW - I just checked the owner's manual for the oil dipstick to see if it actually said one quart, and it did not. Same as for ATF, it just says to add a little at a time and re-check. It also shows the dipstick, and apparently the Low and High range is actually specified by the cross-hatched region in between the L and the F, and NOT the L and the F letter, or the lines outside those letters.

Last edited by oldskewel; 05-03-17 at 09:14 AM.
Old 05-03-17, 09:52 AM
Banshee365
Instructor

Originally Posted by oldskewel
I agree, I believe the engine is more tolerant to oil level, so the standard thing that most cars do is to make the distance between the marks one quart/liter, mainly for convenience. But ATF seems to need more precision in most cars I'm familiar with.

I checked my 1991 owner's manual quickly, and there is nothing about it being one quart or liter between marks. Also, the figure in the owner's manual shows a much smaller gap (like 2/3 as big) on the dipstick for the cold range vs. the hot range.

If you want to calculate how many mm one liter should add to the dipstick level reading, you could just divide 1,000,000 mm^3 (volume of a liter ~ quart) by the area of the AT pan (in mm^2). So if the pan is 30x50cm (just a wild guess), then the answer would be 6.7mm, for example.

Or you could just add a little at a time.

BTW - I just checked the owner's manual for the oil dipstick to see if it actually said one quart, and it did not. Same as for ATF, it just says to add a little at a time and re-check. It also shows the dipstick, and apparently the Low and High range is actually specified by the cross-hatched region in between the L and the F, and NOT the L and the F letter, or the lines outside those letters.
Don't forget to take into account that the dipstick enters the fluid at an angle. LOL
Old 05-03-17, 11:32 AM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Banshee365
Don't forget to take into account that the dipstick enters the fluid at an angle. LOL
Good point. If you know the angle, then also divide by its cosine.

Or you can just ...
Old 05-03-17, 03:42 PM
Superfast1
Advanced

Received 121 Likes on 83 Posts

You guys are funny, especially Oldskewel. I feel like I've just met another good friend.
Old 05-03-17, 07:31 PM
Banshee365
Instructor

Originally Posted by Superfast1
You guys are funny, especially Oldskewel. I feel like I've just met another good friend.
Ouch!

​​​​​​​I kid, I kid. Hehehe
Old 05-04-17, 12:23 AM
Elless400
Driver

Just for the record, if you're at the very bottom of the hot mark when the engine and transmission is at normal operating temperature (a good 10 minute freeway run will do), add 30 percent of a quart to hit the top of the top mark.

1 quart would put you into solidly overfilled.

So Banshee was on the money again.

Quick Reply: ATF capacity per dipstick marks.