LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Need Help: Infamous 96 Alternator Pigtail Debacle

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-17, 05:27 PM
Diwill05
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help: Infamous 96 Alternator Pigtail Debacle

Though it's been known to happen to all years, this is on my 96 LS400 and appears to be somewhat different from the other threads I've searched and read which is why I'm bringing up this tired topic again. The alternator failed with the vehicle around 187,000 miles so I ordered the preferred Denso reman unit. Got everything apart until it came time to pull that dang blasted pigtail off of the alternator and yes, it pretty much snapped the tab off with very little effort. Now I've seen where others have pulled the wires completely out leaving them pretty much lost on what goes where for a repin. Mines however is still connected as I've seen this before with other vehicles and quickly stopped before any wires could be pulled out.

Common sense tells me to just get another complete pigtail and wire assembly, splice & solder, then seal up with heat shrink tubing which I have plenty of and good experience soldering. The objective is to splice one wire at a time until I'm finally able to pull the alternator out of the vehicle leaving the old pigtail in while having a new pigtail attached to the original harness. The issue is I obviously can't find the pigtail locally. Several online I see which includes wiring that states it's specifically for the Denso unit, but is there a particular one to use or ones to avoid for quality issues?

Last edited by Diwill05; 05-06-17 at 05:30 PM.
Old 05-06-17, 05:36 PM
Banshee365
Instructor

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...-write-up.html
Old 05-06-17, 06:13 PM
Diwill05
Driver School Candidate

I saw that thread and read it several times though I still am not understanding some things. Apparently the pins can be pulled out, but I don't see exactly where in those illustrations. From what I can tell you were able to pull the pigtail apart from the connector, however, I have tried and it won't budge so the pigtail is still connected to the alternator socket. If the pins can be pulled out while the pigtail is still connected that's one thing, but if it has to be pulled apart then I'm in another predicament.
Old 05-06-17, 06:56 PM
Banshee365
Instructor

Don't worry, dicer will be here soon reminding me to get some photos of releasing the lock tabs. Lol

Lets refer to what you are calling 'pins' as terminals. The terminals are crimped on to the wires. Take a photo of the back of the connector showing wire colors and their locations. If there are two of the same color be sure to use a zip tie or tape or something to remind you where it goes. The terminals must not be bent at all. They are held in with plastic tabs built into the connector housing. The lock tabs lock into voids in the terminals. To remove the terminals from the connector housing simply pry up on the plastic lock tabs inside the connector with a small straight pick. The terminal and wire will slide right out easy as pie. It takes literally no effort so don't pull hard. They will click back into the new connector housing pretty as you please. Sometimes there is a white plastic piece that covers over the locking tabs. If there is a white piece that needs to be popped out first.

It sounds like your connector is already broke so use that opportunity to teach yourself how it works as if you break it more no big deal.
Old 05-06-17, 07:22 PM
Diwill05
Driver School Candidate

Okay... I think I've got it now. Taking the picture of how the wires are oriented because at this point there is no other way to get the connector to release without chance of breaking it further, correct?. At least you will know what goes where. Only part that was confusing is if the connector had to be removed from the alternator to pull the terminals loose from the inside or can they be pulled from the backside?. As far as I know the only thing that broke is the locking tab.
Old 05-06-17, 07:49 PM
Banshee365
Instructor

Originally Posted by Diwill05
Okay... I think I've got it now. Taking the picture of how the wires are oriented because at this point there is no other way to get the connector to release without chance of breaking it further, correct?. At least you will know what goes where. Only part that was confusing is if the connector had to be removed from the alternator to pull the terminals loose from the inside or can they be pulled from the backside?. As far as I know the only thing that broke is the locking tab.
Yes, the connector must be removed from the alternator. The locking tabs are released from the pin side of the connector housing, not the back. Don't pry anywhere on the back of the connector as you can damage the water seal. If your lock tab broke the connector should just slide out of the alternator. If it won't slide out of the alternator easy don't pry it out as you could break the little tab built into the alternator then you'll never get it to lock in. Usually once the lock tab breaks it's released for good and won't lock in the alternator. The terminals are removed from the back but the locking tabs are accessed from the front.
Old 05-07-17, 04:13 AM
Diwill05
Driver School Candidate

Not worried about the alternator. I have a Denso replacement, just got to disconnect the wiring so I can get the old one out.
Old 05-07-17, 10:56 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Banshee365
Don't worry, dicer will be here soon reminding me to get some photos of releasing the lock tabs. Lol

Lets refer to what you are calling 'pins' as terminals. The terminals are crimped on to the wires. Take a photo of the back of the connector showing wire colors and their locations. If there are two of the same color be sure to use a zip tie or tape or something to remind you where it goes. The terminals must not be bent at all. They are held in with plastic tabs built into the connector housing. The lock tabs lock into voids in the terminals. To remove the terminals from the connector housing simply pry up on the plastic lock tabs inside the connector with a small straight pick. The terminal and wire will slide right out easy as pie. It takes literally no effort so don't pull hard. They will click back into the new connector housing pretty as you please. Sometimes there is a white plastic piece that covers over the locking tabs. If there is a white piece that needs to be popped out first.

It sounds like your connector is already broke so use that opportunity to teach yourself how it works as if you break it more no big deal.
Yawn.... And yeah that still would be nice.
Old 05-08-17, 05:43 AM
Banshee365
Instructor

Originally Posted by dicer
Yawn.... And yeah that still would be nice.
Hahaha

(filler)