LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1995-1997 LS400 Aftermarket Radio Install Utilizing Stock Amplifier for Pioneer Radio

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-19, 07:43 AM
fisher1457
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexusNAZ
you need to amp bypass or do the mod or have a beat-sonic kit. The amp is designed to run all the speakers and sub.
thank you!! I have the 95 ls400 with the pioneer system. Replaced the stock sub with an 8” boss the front speakers wit 6.5” and the back speakers with 5.25”. Still have the stock amp and I just bought the Sony XAV-AX100 headunit. Gonna set it up with the RCAs tonight and see how it goes.
Old 04-15-19, 10:55 AM
LexusNAZ
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by fisher1457
thank you!! I have the 95 ls400 with the pioneer system. Replaced the stock sub with an 8” boss the front speakers wit 6.5” and the back speakers with 5.25”. Still have the stock amp and I just bought the Sony XAV-AX100 headunit. Gonna set it up with the RCAs tonight and see how it goes.
How does the system sound now with the aftermarket speakers and stock amp? If it sounds good I think the RCA method will end up being the best way to go (and easy overall). If you start trying to do a bypass and mess around it would be best to re-wire and do a dedicated 12V to the trunk to a more modern amp setup.

I had to read back up on this post and the only thing lost by my method was the fader front and rear all the speakers will remain balanced. You are lucky to not have the Nakamichi system that is even more of a nightmare from what I have read.
Old 04-15-19, 11:23 AM
Amish
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

When i did this I just used a multi meter on the wire harness plug. Took me 1 minute to figure out constant and acc. I snipped the wires needed and connected my deck to them.

I too think the stock pioneer system sounded great. My only complaint was the sound didn't get loud enough for me so I swapped out the entire pioneer system for my own.

Good job dude!
Old 04-15-19, 06:40 PM
fisher1457
Driver School Candidate

You need to modify like i did initially (not perfect but utilizes stock amp and speakers). Or you can do an amp bypass or full re-wire with your own system speakers and setup. There is the JDM beat-sonic kit that is plug in play and requires no modification to the wiring harness of the car.

As for the installer he does not know what he is talking about since the pre outs just send a signal to the amp (low power) then the amp boosts to the input level the speakers can handle (high power). I did not have distortion or a blown system due to the method I used.

Also, you cannot run the subwoofer or the stock speakers without an amp since they will sound horrible. You cannot use an aftermarket amp on the stock subwoofer since it will blow up and sound like crap. One needs to either use the system with the factory amp or just install an aftermarket system with an aftermarket amp.

Just depends on what level of audiophile you are or how deep your pockets are. The stock pioneer system for being as old as it is has very nice sound. This mod I did was cheap and the cords I used I picked up from my local thrift store. I just ordered a beat-sonic kit for this year of car from Japan its in the mail now.

Here is a diagram of an amplifier to help clarify what is really going on:

THANK YOU SOOOO DAMN MUCH!!!!! I love this system now. I didn't do anything with my subwoofer RCA port on my new headunit but the sub still works and bumps louder and much more clear.
Old 04-15-19, 06:46 PM
fisher1457
Driver School Candidate

How does the system sound now with the aftermarket speakers and stock amp? If it sounds good I think the RCA method will end up being the best way to go (and easy overall). If you start trying to do a bypass and mess around it would be best to re-wire and do a dedicated 12V to the trunk to a more modern amp setup.

I had to read back up on this post and the only thing lost by my method was the fader front and rear all the speakers will remain balanced. You are lucky to not have the Nakamichi system that is even more of a nightmare from what I have read.
I did everything exactly like you did because I have the exact same setup and my system is extremely loud in my opinion. It is only an 8 inch sub so you cant expect the world from it, but honestly this car is 25 years old and already rattles a little with this tiny sub so in my case if I went louder it would just be obnoxious unless i fixed all the rattling. Super simple install though. First time I have ever done this and i honestly dont think i would have succeeded without this thread

Last edited by fisher1457; 04-15-19 at 10:19 PM.
Old 04-15-19, 10:14 PM
fisher1457
Driver School Candidate

The following users liked this post:
LexusNAZ (04-16-19)
Old 04-16-19, 09:25 AM
LexusNAZ
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by fisher1457
Nice install job! Black interior color is very rare looks nice.
Old 12-21-19, 11:43 AM
Keretopa
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Doing same but need help

It seems my wires might be different colours in my 1996 Toyota celsior. I’m very confused
Old 12-21-19, 07:06 PM
nvturbo
Rookie

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

It may be different colors but the wiring location/pin should be the same.
The following users liked this post:
Keretopa (12-21-19)
Old 12-22-19, 12:17 PM
Keretopa
Driver School Candidate

Default 1996 Toyota celsior

I have used a test light and the wires off the stereo in my car are.. pin 4 12v constant. Pin 5 illumination/lights. Pin 13 key acc. I think pin 3 is ground and I think pin 1,2,6,7 maybe speaker negatives. Can anyone list all the pins/wires for me. 🙏 thank you

Last edited by Keretopa; 12-25-19 at 07:17 PM.
Old 02-23-20, 08:33 AM
1spdpaul
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

'95 ls400 w/factory pioneer, replaced head unit only following the instructions at the start of this thread and the new head unit works exactly as it should, crisp clear sound!
Old 02-23-20, 09:49 AM
Keretopa
Driver School Candidate

My car has the gps/tv I bought the wiring diagram cd and it’s given me all the information I need. I am going to have to by pass the amp because in the gps model the amp only has left and right feed to it, not FL FR RL RR
Old 09-28-20, 04:48 AM
novakedy
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Question

Hello I’m new here and am a fresh owner of a 1995 Celsior. I have the tv tuner, stock nav, and non-Nakamichi. I would like to follow this guide because it’s very well put together and haven’t found another good one here in the search but before I get down and dirty I just wanted to ask if there are any differences that could be a concern wiring-wise between the LS400 and Celsior. I too just want to get a new stereo head unit and keep everything else stock so I’ll likely be looking to get the separate climate control unit with the buttons instead of the touch screen (unless the aftermarket radio I find has climate functionality). Any help is greatly appreciated!
Old 10-04-20, 06:55 AM
FloridaCam
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Keretopa
My car has the gps/tv I bought the wiring diagram cd and it’s given me all the information I need. I am going to have to by pass the amp because in the gps model the amp only has left and right feed to it, not FL FR RL RR
Were you able to get the sub (center rear) speaker working? If you bypass the amp, you will lose it unless you add a new one.
Old 07-30-23, 10:08 AM
Richard69
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I followed the OP's instructions and to my surprise it worked. Fading, balance and subwoofer all working. I even connected the factory power antenna which raises when i switch to FM HD tuner. I have a 95 LS400 with the pioneer radio/amp/cd changer. When I pulled the radio I discovered the original had been replaced with one manufactured at end of 99.

The only thing is, I now have a ground noise that's noticeable at low volume. It does not increase/decrease with accelorator. I think the Kenwood aftermarket radio 4 Volt preoutputs maybe too high and overdrives the stock amp at high volume. I also think the factory amp has a bass limiter designed to protect the factory sub. When I turn the volume up, the bass from subwoofer does not increase accordingly enough after a certain volume.

Does anyone know if using the radio harness ground would be better than grounding to the metal frame behind the radio?

I'm also trying to find out what the "gray" wire is on the factory gray radio harness. Is it the illumination wire? The reason I ask is because the stock radio had no working lights and that gray wire appears to be damaged- it looks very compressed and the plastic around the wire is strectched almost an inch long and 3-4 mm wide.

Last, does the radio do any signal processing/ time alignment, or does the amp do it?

Quick Reply: 1995-1997 LS400 Aftermarket Radio Install Utilizing Stock Amplifier for Pioneer Radio