LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Is this normal??

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-17, 08:34 PM
981uz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Losiracer2
The day after I bought my LS after replacing coolant hoses upper and lower, it would heat up to about where yours was. This was in November too when outside temps were 50-55 in AZ so I didn't know it at the time, but I had improperly bled the cooling system and was about half a gallon low on coolant.

Make sure to add coolant through the fill valve in the center front of the engine through the 17mm fill hole.

I have a feeling that's your problem, just need to get all the air out and double check to see if you're​ low.

Also, if you don't have a genuine Toyota/Lexus thermostat, I would have one swapped in since aftermarket one may have higher heat ranges compared to OEM causing the gauge to fluctuate to an elevated level.
When checking the coolant i could see that it sits a little past the max line and its bright red. Very weird. I believe the thermostat is OEM if its running at 183-185 degrees. Isn't this what these motors should be running at?
Old 05-23-17, 09:55 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,703 Likes on 1,937 Posts

PM Sent your way
Old 05-24-17, 05:39 AM
981uz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by billydpowe
you might change your temp switch, thats quick and easy
illustration not actual switch
Thanks for all the help, I did get a Bluetooth OBD port reader and it did confirm that the car is fluctuating between 84 and 85 degrees Celsius. Mostly staying at 84 or 183 degrees to 185 degrees. Seeing as I believe these cars come with a 180 degree thermostat isn't that what it should be running at or no? If so that's weird that the needle illustrates that high. But again could just be me being paranoid.
Old 05-24-17, 04:50 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 313 Likes on 270 Posts

A drain and flush wouldn't be a bad idea. Especially seeing how it sat for a year before you bought it last year. http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/cooling/coolant.html . Also a good idea to change the thermostat. Running at the temp you are is normal. Pretty sure the stock thermostat is a 180*
Old 05-24-17, 05:29 PM
981uz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by deanshark
A drain and flush wouldn't be a bad idea. Especially seeing how it sat for a year before you bought it last year. http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/cooling/coolant.html . Also a good idea to change the thermostat. Running at the temp you are is normal. Pretty sure the stock thermostat is a 180*
Thanks!! I think im going to go ahead and order a thermostat from Lexus. I'm assuming the car is safe to keep driving but that this should be changed within the month. I wonder why the needle is reading that high if the car is supposed to be running at 180 degrees, from the community help I believe that my thermostat is starting to stick maybe?
Old 05-24-17, 08:05 PM
aptoslexus
Advanced

Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Fro98686
The last picture is where mine sits on my 98. Maybe on the line just a tad more.
That's where my 98 is always at after warm-up.
Old 05-26-17, 06:26 AM
981uz
Driver School Candidate

Going to go ahead and take it to the dealer and have them run a diagnostic test on the cooling system. Good or bad idea?
Old 05-26-17, 06:28 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 981uz
Going to go ahead and take it to the dealer and have them run a diagnostic test on the cooling system. Good or bad idea?
Don't take it to the dealer. Take it to the guy I gave you in PMs.

The dealer will cost you big time. You can trust him to give you real practical advice.

That car is too old to take it to the dealer. You'll pay its value in repair costs that it may or may not practically need real quick.
Old 05-26-17, 07:00 AM
981uz
Driver School Candidate

Question

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Don't take it to the dealer. Take it to the guy I gave you in PMs.

The dealer will cost you big time. You can trust him to give you real practical advice.

That car is too old to take it to the dealer. You'll pay its value in repair costs that it may or may not practically need real quick.
I completely understand Nelson was one of the most knowledgeable people I spoke to, as he was almost able to tell me exactly what was wrong just by describing the issue. Which is why I might just go ahead and call back and pass on the diagnostic, I was calling around before I started this thread the dealer called me back and the service manager assured me that a diagnostic would be run to give me peace of mind. The manager told me he would do the diagnostic for free, as if they do find a issue they would fix it then and there. I figured couldn't hurt. Sorry if it seems like i'm indecisive. Wasn't expecting a call back.
Old 05-26-17, 07:16 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

He'll do the diagnostic for free because he knows he's going to have a shot at selling you $1000+ worth of repairs. He knows you're sensitive to it being "working right" and you're likely to do those repairs because of that. He sees you coming. The dealer is incredibly expensive. I'm not kidding when I tell you that you can easily spend what you paid for the car with a few common repairs. Thermostat at the dealer? $1000.

Here's the thing with old cars like this, they ALWAYS have stuff that technically "needs to done". You can take it to Lexus and they'll present you with an estimate for $4,000 worth of stuff that is "deficient". What you need is somebody like Nelson who will go through that with you but that you can trust to tell you in a practical sense, what actually needs to be done and what doesn't given the age and value of the car.

I wouldn't bring that car anywhere near the dealer.

Last edited by SW17LS; 05-26-17 at 07:21 AM.
Old 05-26-17, 09:14 AM
981uz
Driver School Candidate

He'll do the diagnostic for free because he knows he's going to have a shot at selling you $1000+ worth of repairs. He knows you're sensitive to it being "working right" and you're likely to do those repairs because of that. He sees you coming. The dealer is incredibly expensive. I'm not kidding when I tell you that you can easily spend what you paid for the car with a few common repairs. Thermostat at the dealer? $1000.

Here's the thing with old cars like this, they ALWAYS have stuff that technically "needs to done". You can take it to Lexus and they'll present you with an estimate for $4,000 worth of stuff that is "deficient". What you need is somebody like Nelson who will go through that with you but that you can trust to tell you in a practical sense, what actually needs to be done and what doesn't given the age and value of the car.

I wouldn't bring that car anywhere near the dealer.
lol, I think you have convinced me to go ahead and swing by there next week. I'm going to call the dealer and tell them to cancel my appointment. Everyone seems to give the place good reviews accept for a few. Guess it wouldn't hurt to get his opinion. If I may ask have you taken all your Lexus vehicles there?
Old 05-26-17, 09:20 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

To Nelson? Yes. He services all my Lexus cars, from ones I had that were older to my new ones. He's serviced all my other cars too. I've been using him since 2008

To give you an idea on cost. He just replaced the front brakes on my 2015 LS460, including the rotors for I think it was like $375. Lexus of Rockville wanted $380 to turn the rotors. No parts, just to resurface the rotors lol. Nelson replaced the rotors and pads for less than the dealer wanted to resurface the rotors.

Stay away from the dealer! It's fine for warranty work and it's nice and the loaners are great...but it's VERY expensive.
Old 05-26-17, 02:41 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 313 Likes on 270 Posts

Do NOT bring it to the dealer. Only time they are worth it is for warranty work or a recall.I don't know this Nelson guy but he sounds like your best bet. If you tell him that "so and so" recommended you he's not gonna over charge you or do a bad job because he's not gonna want to lose a valued customer just to charge you an extra $100 or something.
Good decision to cancel the dealer.
Old 05-26-17, 03:45 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

He's going to be honest regardless, but tell him I sent you and he will take great care of you.
Old 05-28-17, 05:25 AM
981uz
Driver School Candidate

He's going to be honest regardless, but tell him I sent you and he will take great care of you.
I will and I will keep you updated, if he fixes the issue I just found my new place to go to lol,

Quick Reply: Is this normal??