LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Is this normal??

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-17, 04:45 PM
981uz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this normal??

So I just want to know is this what my car temperature should be sitting at. I ordered an OBDII bluetooth scanner so I can tell the exact temperature I will let you guys know what it says, I have been told it should be at 180 degrees. I turned on the heat full blast and moved down a tad, but not much.
Attached Thumbnails Is this normal??-img_0245.jpg  

Last edited by 981uz; 05-22-17 at 04:49 PM.
Old 05-22-17, 06:19 PM
timmy0tool

Received 421 Likes on 375 Posts

mine sits around 40-45%, never at 50 or higher. if turning the heat up did decrease the temp a bit, I say you have some air (albeit very small) in your coolant so a bleeding is in order to get it out.
Old 05-22-17, 06:41 PM
981uz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
mine sits around 40-45%, never at 50 or higher. if turning the heat up did decrease the temp a bit, I say you have some air (albeit very small) in your coolant so a bleeding is in order to get it out.
When I turned the heat on it moved downward a tad not very much. Turning the heat on did not increase the temp afire it decreased it. If I had to give a percentage of what the needle sits at, I would say it's at about 55 percent. Just drive it on a 3 hour road trip and it didn't budge didn't get any hotter or colder. Thanks for your help!
Old 05-23-17, 12:32 AM
Losiracer2
Racer

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Should always be less than half. I lived in AZ and even in the dead of summer it never went that high
Old 05-23-17, 04:56 AM
981uz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Losiracer2
Should always be less than half. I lived in AZ and even in the dead of summer it never went that high
Do you think I should get the coolant flushed and change? By the way when I took it to the shop they said my engine oil was perfect, coolant bright red and they pressure tested it and found no leaks.
Old 05-23-17, 05:43 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 173 Likes on 130 Posts

you might change your temp switch, thats quick and easy
illustration not actual switch
Attached Thumbnails Is this normal??-ts10141a_primary_large_image.jpg  
Old 05-23-17, 10:44 AM
fixmiester
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Probably okay

What really matters is how your guage responds to high outside temps, and/or heavy engine loads. THAT reveals if you have a cooling system problem; a small increase on the guage is no biggie, but more than one division could be an issue that needs attention. If your temp checks out using OBD II +/- 5 degrees of thermostat setting, that should correlate to a mid-guage reading. If not temp sender could be cause, which will also affect fuel efficiency and driveability. But, don't get hung up on the guage not being perfectly centered; it's how it responds to heat loads that's important, in giving you an early warning of cooling problems.
Old 05-23-17, 11:20 AM
Greg5OH
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

mine would go up that high when its 95 and 99% humidity on idling in traffic. will fluctuate between that and under half) which it usually sits at.
Nothing to worry about.
Old 05-23-17, 11:33 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Guys these stock gauges are NOT that precise. +/- 5-15% from center could easily mean the same actual coolant temp on different cars.
Even per the factory manual the "normal" range is nearly from top to bottom.

Unless the temp is consistently high (ie- top 25%) i wouldn't worry about it. If you are worried, get a proper gauge to check.
Old 05-23-17, 03:46 PM
981uz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
Guys these stock gauges are NOT that precise. +/- 5-15% from center could easily mean the same actual coolant temp on different cars.
Even per the factory manual the "normal" range is nearly from top to bottom.

Unless the temp is consistently high (ie- top 25%) i wouldn't worry about it. If you are worried, get a proper gauge to check.
I really appreciate your knowledge and help, per your request I did get a Bluetooth OBD port reader and I am happy to share with you the results maybe you can give me some insight as you are pretty famous on these forums lol. I know you know your stuff. Just as a courtesy I have translated the 84 Celsius over to 183.2 degrees. It fluctuated from 84 to 85 Celsius, 85 Celsius also =185 degrees. The outside temperature was 66-67 degrees. Was doing highway/city driving, the gauge really never moved. I really do appreciate everyone's help before I go take it into the dealer and run up a tab replacing the cooling system I would like to know if this is normal as the gauge always hasn't read that high or maybe at least I wasn't paying attention. Even included a picture of the car so you have a visual lol!!
Attached Thumbnails Is this normal??-img_0248.jpg   Is this normal??-img_0139-1-.jpg  
Old 05-23-17, 03:54 PM
981uz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Greg5OH
mine would go up that high when its 95 and 99% humidity on idling in traffic. will fluctuate between that and under half) which it usually sits at.
Nothing to worry about.
Yeah the temperature was 67 degrees in the photo I took. Maybe is nothing I get very paranoid about my vehicles. Just thought I would share. The next 90 degree day we have I will do the temperature reading again post it. maybe theirs someone out there that thinks theirs is reading a little high. Thank you for your help.
Old 05-23-17, 07:17 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,703 Likes on 1,937 Posts

Your LS400 is beautiful, I love the blue and they look great on the LS430 18s.

Anyways, its a little high from how my LS400 was when it was new. Haven't owned it in a long time, but It would sit about 48% and never fluctuate....ever..... Steep mountain passes, idling in the heat, it would always sit right at the same spot. Since yours isn't moving or changing under different scenarios and you've checked the temp, I would chock it up to age and the way the gauge reads and not worry about it.

I found this picture online, this is representative of how I remember the temp gauge in my 98 reading when warmed up

Where in MD are you? If you want somebody to look at it who knows these cars in and out and you can trust to not take you for a ride, I have an independent Lexus mechanic in Rockville. He was a Lexus Master Tech for 16 years, since Lexus began, been in business at his own place for 11 years or so. He has a blue 2000 LS400 himself and obviously is also very knowledgable about the car. Honest as can be too, he'll tell you straight up if theres no problem.

Happy to PM you his info if you like.
Old 05-23-17, 07:29 PM
Fro98686
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The last picture is where mine sits on my 98. Maybe on the line just a tad more.
Old 05-23-17, 07:47 PM
Losiracer2
Racer

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

The day after I bought my LS after replacing coolant hoses upper and lower, it would heat up to about where yours was. This was in November too when outside temps were 50-55 in AZ so I didn't know it at the time, but I had improperly bled the cooling system and was about half a gallon low on coolant.

Make sure to add coolant through the fill valve in the center front of the engine through the 17mm fill hole.

I have a feeling that's your problem, just need to get all the air out and double check to see if you're​ low.

Also, if you don't have a genuine Toyota/Lexus thermostat, I would have one swapped in since aftermarket one may have higher heat ranges compared to OEM causing the gauge to fluctuate to an elevated level.
Old 05-23-17, 08:30 PM
981uz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Your LS400 is beautiful, I love the blue and they look great on the LS430 18s.

Anyways, its a little high from how my LS400 was when it was new. Haven't owned it in a long time, but It would sit about 48% and never fluctuate....ever..... Steep mountain passes, idling in the heat, it would always sit right at the same spot. Since yours isn't moving or changing under different scenarios and you've checked the temp, I would chock it up to age and the way the gauge reads and not worry about it.

I found this picture online, this is representative of how I remember the temp gauge in my 98 reading when warmed up

Where in MD are you? If you want somebody to look at it who knows these cars in and out and you can trust to not take you for a ride, I have an independent Lexus mechanic in Rockville. He was a Lexus Master Tech for 16 years, since Lexus began, been in business at his own place for 11 years or so. He has a blue 2000 LS400 himself and obviously is also very knowledgable about the car. Honest as can be too, he'll tell you straight up if theres no problem.

Happy to PM you his info if you like.
Thank you I have been working to restore it, I appreciate you taking the time to refer someone as I am knew to the Lexus community this is very nice. I am in Davidsonville area, Sending me his information would be great I would be glad to tell him who sent me. Im going to see if I can get it in there to see if they can take a look at it just so I have peace of mind.

Quick Reply: Is this normal??